October 17, 2019, 09:41:42 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you remember the Moby Dick and Beckers Marinas???  (Read 8320 times)
Dr. Brian

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2008, 04:38:21 PM »

Does anyone recall these two marinas?  When I was a young boy in the 70s ... my dad use to take me there to crab ... I have no clue where it is.  I was just wondering where they were. 

We also use to go to where the Dock Outfitters is ... just outside Seaside.  Growing up, we use to get a full bushel of crabs,

The reason I ask, is I have a little girl now, and I want to take her crabbing and enjoy and appreciate the experience.  But the crabbing at the Dock Outfitters has been horrible everytime I've been out there the last few years.  Maybe we walk away with 3 keepers after 5 hours ...

It's not that exciting for her.  Sad

I'd like to go someplace a bit better, and also has a POTTY for my daughter.  I'm also up in North Jersey, so it's a long trip any further past Barneget.  We'd probably through most of the crabs back since I don't eat them ... and my mom doesn't like cleaning them anymore.

I'd also entertain places that don't have a potty since I'd like to just go by myself and catch them like I use to.  Wink

Thanks in advance!

Brian
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 07:31:38 PM »

Does anyone recall these two marinas?  When I was a young boy in the 70s ... my dad use to take me there to crab ... I have no clue where it is.  I was just wondering where they were. 

We also use to go to where the Dock Outfitters is ... just outside Seaside.  Growing up, we use to get a full bushel of crabs,

The reason I ask, is I have a little girl now, and I want to take her crabbing and enjoy and appreciate the experience.  But the crabbing at the Dock Outfitters has been horrible everytime I've been out there the last few years.  Maybe we walk away with 3 keepers after 5 hours ...

It's not that exciting for her.  Sad

I'd like to go someplace a bit better, and also has a POTTY for my daughter.  I'm also up in North Jersey, so it's a long trip any further past Barneget.  We'd probably through most of the crabs back since I don't eat them ... and my mom doesn't like cleaning them anymore.

I'd also entertain places that don't have a potty since I'd like to just go by myself and catch them like I use to.  Wink

Thanks in advance!

Brian

They are long gone Dr. Brian. They were in Bayville just past the telephone poles on the Tom's river side. Some great memories there with some real crabs. Beckert's went out of business some where around 1985, and Moby's was some time after that. I think Dick's landing is the nearest place, but same bay, same area, same crabs. Huh I haven't crabbed NJ in about 9 - 10 years. They do OK around the Navasink and Shrewsberry, but that's in a boat, don't know much about that area on land with a potty that would produce. I strictly crab the Wye in MD now, 3 hour ride from Freehold. I am sure there are some guys on this board that can help you out, but crabbing there isn't what it use to be. Tongue But then again is any place.  Roll Eyes Good Luck.

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Mutzy crab man
Lifetime Member

9-1/8th 7-31-08 Wye

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 07:40:22 PM »

Joe ...Don't think Dicks is there anymore....

Dr....I think there are a couple nice piers in TUCKERTON N.J.for the kids.I never crabbed there myself but there are a bunch of guys on the board who did.

Outta the river an into my pot...FUHGEDDABOUDIT..
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 07:48:36 PM »

Joe ...Don't think Dicks is there anymore....

Dr....I think there are a couple nice piers in TUCKERTON N.J.for the kids.I never crabbed there myself but there are a bunch of guys on the board who did.
Well there you go Mutz 3 strikes your out. laugh laugh I guess it really says what has happened to the crabbing there. Crabbing and snapper fishing was really the main game in town for them rentals. Sad

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
#1 JIMMY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 08:33:48 PM »

Dr Brian, I used to crab from Moby Dicks, Beckers, Charlies, and Dicks. They are all gone. The only remaining rentals are at Good Luck Point marina and Trixies. Crabbing has been poor in Barnegat Bay for years. I know of a spot in that area which is great for taking kids. It is Berkeley Island County Park in Bayville. They have a beach, a crabbing pier, Restrooms, playground. On occasion the crabbing can be good. Go to this link to view there site. 

http://www.ocean.nj.us/parks/bicp.html

Good luck

Dr. Brian

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 08:02:18 AM »

Hey, thanks for all the quick replies ... it is sad to hear about Barneget and the lack of crabs ... I had no idea it was soooo bad.  Sad

stuff

i dont need it but i got to have it

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:27:32 AM »

i use to  crab at berkley park b-4 i moved out   get there early for a good spot
Barbarella

Any day is a crabbing day

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 02:04:28 PM »

Is Berkley Park the one you would go by in a boat leaving from Trixies and heading south after the crabbing pier?
aman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 08:45:49 AM »

Beckers is still open for business although the place is quit run down and George no longer has boats to rent. The pier is still in good shape and he has a bathroom. His # is 732-269-3723. If you get there early like you did as a kid you won't be able to purchase anything like bait until he opens around 7am so bring some bait. He doesn't have a problem though with you using the pier in the meantime. Just keep it quiet. The fee is $8.00 a head. His pier usuall produces some pretty good crabbing. And I will agree that last year the crabbing was very bad. I was on my boat every crabbing trip and barely made a dozen. They tell me the commercial vessels are cleaning out the bay.

Best Wishes
Aman

Probably saw you there in the early 70's. This place is where some of my greatest memories occured! Now I take my children. ENJOY!
mickrazz

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 08:02:29 PM »

Beckers in the 60's was the place to be. My father took me all the time. I took my family there a few years ago and did ok at the dock but as others said, barney bay has been slow.If your coming from north jersey you would do well to visit the Keyport dock/bulkhead. Its brand new this year with plenty of room to crab and its safe for the kids. Not bad crabbing if you hit it at the right time. Its off Amboy Road right before you get into the town of keyport. Good luck.

Dr. Brian

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 12:36:25 PM »

Aman, where is Beckers located?Huh?

Some say Beckers is long gone ... yet some still go and produce a phone number.  I'm confused.  Sad
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 12:39:25 PM by Dr. Brian » Logged
Barnegat Blue

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 03:03:26 PM »

Try the Barnegat Township municipal dock if you don't want to rent a boat.  Get there early for a spot as it is not that big and fills rather quickly.  A the light in town (Barnegat)on Route 9 going south, make a left and go about a mile and a half or so--can't miss it it's on the right side next to BOB's Marina I believe.

Have fun!!!
aman

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 09:53:15 AM »

Take GSP to the seaside heights exit eighty-something. Just make sure it's the seaside heights exit not seaside park. When you get off the jug handle make a right at the first light. Follow that road aka 166 south, really just the southern continuation of route 9. Now here's where it get tricky and I don't know how to exactly explain it but; There was some major construction that took place last year. At one time you were able to simply continue on 166 without taking any turns left or right going to beckers but now you have too.
All I can remember is that after several lights maybe two or three, once on the road where you made that first right off the jug handle, you will make a right and then a left and you'll be back onto 166 south. I got lost last year but now I'm the wiser. It's in the heart of the town and I think you'll be fine as long as you don't do what I did and that is ignore directional signs. You just make sure to follow the sign for south 166!
Go all the way to the Ocean Gate exit and take it. You'll see a McDonalds directly ahead and that big brown beer bottle before hand. Once pass the light bear to your right and take that road all the way to the blinking traffic light and make a left. That's bayview Blvd. Go down about one mile if that, and just before the waterfront restaurant and exactly next door to it will be Beckers. No signs or for that fact pretty deserted. That's why people think it's no longer in business. It's not like it use to be when you and I were kids but it's still a nice place to crab. As I mention before, bring some chicken and your cooler and get there early. He'll open up around 7am and he has a bathroom. It's okay to crab in the meantime just be quiet until you get to the spot where you want to crab. Here's my office # if you should need to contact me. I live in east brunswick by the way. ENJOY! 
aman

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 09:56:19 AM »

Sorry Doc. Here's my # 732-235-6691
Dr. Brian

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 12:51:17 PM »

Thanks a ton!  I'm going to try Beckers and the County Park one day too.

Dr. Brian

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 02:57:53 PM »

2013 POST SANDY UPDATE

Since 2008, I've made a few trips down to the old Beckers.  I went down last month, just to examine things and see if I could still take my daughters (I have two now) and enjoy the crabbing, post Sandy.  My oldest was thrilled doing the crabbing over the years, so it was a great experience for her.

Anyway, Sandy demolished the pier.  That's gone.  The house is abandoned right now with storm damage (part of it washed away).  Not much happening in repairs as far as I can tell.  Photos are attached.  Sad

And the old dilapidated boats in the marina were all washed away, too.

It was a sad day for our family to see this nostalgic place in such a condition.

If anyone knows anything, I'd be thankful to hear what you know.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:32:21 AM by Dr. Brian » Logged
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »

Lots of crabbing memories with dad off this telephone poles in the 1970's.

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
olclamman

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 02:22:23 PM »

Berkley  island park   was demolished  by sandy  AND WILL NOT OPEN TILL some time in 2014    maybe
    the road  was almost cut in half  the parking area  is mostly  gone  no more beach  the bulk head  is in fair shape    the buildings  are damaged  other then  that   the water   is  great

i love swimmin with bow legged wemen !!
Dr. Brian

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 10:33:56 AM »

Lots of crabbing memories with dad off this telephone poles in the 1970's.

Same here Cpt. Frank.  We probably ran into each other there in the 70s.
Dr. Brian

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 10:37:40 AM »

Berkley  island park  was demolished  by sandy  AND WILL NOT OPEN TILL some time in 2014    .....

That was confirmed too.  I drove there as well, and the gate was closed, so I couldn't even get onto the park property.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home