November 23, 2020, 10:15:49 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boat Ramp near Oyster Creek NJ  (Read 5576 times)
Gebman52

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2008, 04:13:26 PM »

Can anyone point me to a boat ramp near or on Oyster Creek NJ? I'm planning a family vacation to Ship Bottom NJ the week of 4rth of July. Any other good crabbing advise would be appreciated. Will trade crabbing info in Southern MD for advise in Barnegat Light/ Beach Haven West area of NJ!

Thanks in Advance, GEBMAN52
Barnegat Blue

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 11:39:36 AM »

The best bet if your going to shipbottom is to go north to the end of the island and see what is there.  I believe that there are ramps around the coast guard station. You are at the Barnegat lighthouse at that point and almost in the Barnegate inlet.  The Oyster creek channel will be to your south looking from the Coast guard station.  Good luck!!
Gebman52

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 07:36:55 AM »

Thanks for the reply and info

George
MikeJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 01:34:52 PM »

If you are going for crabbing, IMHO stay home. I would LOVE to crab the Eastern Shore. Far superior to anywhere in NJ.

But your plans are set so here goes...

Believe it or not, It is a long way from Ship Bottom to Oyster Creek. By car or boat. If you dont have a boating chart you will notice even on Mapquest all that white area is swamp.

By car you have to go out off the island to the Garden State Parkway down to Rt 9 (visit Smithville) then out to Leeds Point (upper Creek) decent restaurant there "Oyster Creek Inn". There was a ramp there but you are long way to the bay , literally up the creek. AND it is a creek,  very narrow, 2 boats cannot pass easily.

If you want to fish the mouth at Great Bay there are no roads as it is mostly swamp and saw grass islands from Leeds Point to the bay. Take A LOT of Skin So Soft Bug Spray the Greenheads will tear you up, even in a boat.

If you go by boat (GET A NEW CHART and where it shows 1ft of water you better believe it) you can put in at the south end of LBI at Beach Haven or Holgate and cross Great Bay but you better know the back water. Great Bay is SHALLOW and Sand Bars are everywhere even in the few marked channels. Best bet is to go off island and put in at Mystic Islands or at the marinas at New Gretna where Rt 9 crosses the Mullica River and follow the Mullica down to the Bay.. Again few marked channels Lots of Sand bars. In fact the Mullica River may be more to your liking for crabbing. Much wider than the Creek, Looks a lot like the Choptank or the Wye.

Great Bay is good fishing if you follow the locals and stay in the channels. Even at High tide you will get stuck on sand bars next to the channels, at low tide you can get out and walk.

IMHO For fishing you dont have to go to Oyster Creek because Flounder fishing behind the South end of LBI, from shipbottom into Great Bay,  is very good.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 01:41:51 PM by MikeJ » Logged
Gebman52

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 11:16:33 AM »

MikeJ,

Thanks for the informative reply! I am going to Ship Bottom for the wife's beach fix. Thought I would try some NJ crabbing while there. I'm located on the "Western Shore" in St Mary's CO MD. It's about one and a half hours south of DC. The big bodies of water around here are the Potomac, Patuxent and St Mary's rivers. Good crabbing generally although last year was alittle off. If your ever in Southern MD and would like to get out crabbing look me up. I'd try to show you some "good ole MD crabs".

Thanks again, George B

Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 01:08:52 PM »

Gebman52,
The advice given to you by Barnegat Blue was also sound.  If you want to hit Oyster creek, there is a public boat ramp in Barnegat Light, off of Bayview Ave and 10th St., from there you can launch and go crabbing and/or fishing.  You can also launch at the ramp in Ship Bottom (Also on 10th St.) near the causeway bridge, and crab that area, or drive south to the ramp in Beach Haven on Taylor Ave. 
Yes, there are shallow areas in the bay, as Mike J wrote  (I swear you could almost walk from LBI to the mainland) but if you follow the markers, you should be fine.  What size boat you have?  Obviously this will affect where you can go.  B-mail me if you'd like more info.

If it weren't for running in circles, I'd get nowhere.

Woof, woof, woof ! That’s my other dog imitation.”
Gebman52

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 01:42:15 PM »

Sunpal and Barnegat Blue,

Thanks for your replies also. Sunpal to answer your question I have a 12' Port-Bote. Ya know one of those "fold-up" boats. I have a 6 HP Nissan 4-stroke pushing it along at about 15 mph. Draft is very shallow good for areas near sand bars, etc. Not exactly a luxury cruiser, but sure is fun and works for me crabbing in MD.

Thanks again, George
Barnegat Blue

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 01:56:15 PM »

OOPS!!!Looking from the CG station the Oyster Creek will be to the north!!!  Tip, go to bouy 40 the beginning of the channel in the bay ( I heard that they may have moved it this year--havn't been out yet but if they did look towards the north after you get away from the sand bars) and park in about 5-8
feet of water and crab on the incoming tide and a couple of hours after high tide--U should do ok.

Good Luck!!!  Cheesy
Gebman52

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 02:03:21 PM »

Barnegat Blue,

Thanks for the correction!

George

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home