November 23, 2020, 10:31:39 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help - Crabbing newb needs info for crabbing in northern Jersey  (Read 7791 times)
kupaman

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2008, 09:27:14 PM »

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I am trying to find a good spot to go crabbing in northern Jersey area. I will be in West New York, NJ during mid-June and would like to go crabbing for the first time in my life. Please advise as to where the crabbing hotspots are, where I can buy equipments & baits, and any tips as to what to bring, etc. Also, do I need a crabbing or fishing license if I am from out of state? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
wantcrabs?seeme!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:08:39 PM »

Welcome aboard! Not familiar with that area, but as far as I know, there's still no license for saltwater fishing. For the most part there's no licenses for rec. crabbing, such as if your're only going to use a couple of droplines or crab traps with manually operated doors. There's a post on NJ regs on this board somewhere, I think it was posted by member "sighanson" Good luck!

Crabs, the itch ya just gotta scratch!
kupaman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 10:29:27 PM »

Welcome aboard! Not familiar with that area, but as far as I know, there's still no license for saltwater fishing. For the most part there's no licenses for rec. crabbing, such as if your're only going to use a couple of droplines or crab traps with manually operated doors. There's a post on NJ regs on this board somewhere, I think it was posted by member "sighanson" Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Actually I just did some research and it seems like Dividing Creek or Tuckerton or Barnegat Bay seems to be the places to go. Also, I think I read from some post that the crabs in some polluted areas are dangerous to eat? So where exactly are those areas that I should avoid crabbing? It seemed like the northern part of NJ is generally considered polluted? I certainly don't wanna get a cancer from eating crabs Tongue
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 11:03:27 PM »

Welcome. hope you have a GReat crabbing season. HAPPY CRABBING.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Barnegat Blue

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 08:05:30 PM »

Kup,

Hope not to bust the bubble but you have to check with the NJDEP web site to get U'r crabbing/fishing info for N Jersey.  Up in N. Jersey there are aeas that are forbideen due to such problems as U mention. Comm's bring their clams into the Barnegat Bay from the Raritan to "clean themselves" as U would call it.  The site is a bunch of acres just  south of the TOms River inlet to the bay.  If you stay away from anything north of the Raritan (possibly including the Raritan)I would think that you will be ok--this is just my honest opinion having fished here in Jersey for the last--oh well---- I'm not tell'in the  years.

Good luck and have a great year!!!!! Wink

woogiebear

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 07:55:36 PM »

Good luck!  Hope you have a geat time.  I am from North Jersey but go down south to crab.  I usally hit the Sandy Hook area due to the pollution up this way.  Better to be safe than sorry. 
luv jerzeeblues
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 02:08:20 AM »

I would head down at least as far as the Navesink River. (Though even there, I wouldn't make a habit of eating the crabs, on a regular basis) There are places in Rumson and Red Bank to get bait and boats. Northern Barnegat Bay, (Mantaloking, Toms River, Bayville), is usually a good area. If you are worried about water quality, check out the southern end of Barnegat Bay (West Creek, Manahawkin, Long Beach Island, Tuckerton) or the Great Bay, Mullica River area, which is about the cleanest water you will find in NJ. When you are planning a trip, just post what area you are going to, and someone on here will give you a couple places to try. Good luck.
kupaman

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 08:10:15 PM »

I would head down at least as far as the Navesink River. (Though even there, I wouldn't make a habit of eating the crabs, on a regular basis) There are places in Rumson and Red Bank to get bait and boats. Northern Barnegat Bay, (Mantaloking, Toms River, Bayville), is usually a good area. If you are worried about water quality, check out the southern end of Barnegat Bay (West Creek, Manahawkin, Long Beach Island, Tuckerton) or the Great Bay, Mullica River area, which is about the cleanest water you will find in NJ. When you are planning a trip, just post what area you are going to, and someone on here will give you a couple places to try. Good luck.
I have planned my trip to Dividing Creek, since it had the most posts on the board. a 2.5 hour drive isn't really too bad anyway. I was thinking about renting a boat from DCBR. I wouldn't have any problem with the quality of the crabs there would I?
Dr. Brian

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 11:15:42 AM »

Where is Dividing Creek, NJ?Huh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home