December 01, 2021, 04:34:19 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smaller crab pots....  (Read 4407 times)
trumph

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2008, 06:41:17 PM »

I've used the 1/2 height Maryland style pots before, especially in shallower water where my full height traps were getting stolen everytime I turned my back. They don't have the upper crab hotel for their overnight stays and are just 24" long by 18" deep and about 10" high. My question is: do they count as a commercial trap too? I don't leave them overnight here in Monmouth county, and basically check them every hour or two when I'm crabbing. I like to use hand lines too but these are convenient in spots that aren't hand line friendly.
squidly

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:08:29 PM »

hi Trumph,  any trap that doesn't have doors that open is considered a commercial trap. i have the same traps.  you need to get a rec commercial license. only 2 bucks and is good for 2 traps. you can buy the license on line. just go to the fish and game website to get.  good luck
trumph

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:39:32 PM »

Found a site that stated any trap that can catch crabs by itself, like with funnels, needs a pot license. Oh well, I get one all the time anyway just wanted to use more traps. Two isn't very many for a day crabber who doesn't leave them in the water overnight.
 I didn't see a size restriction though. Maybe I should make a couple of 4'x4'x8" or larger traps with two or three entrance funnels on each side. " But officer, I only have two pots!!"
sighanson

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 05:03:26 PM »

I use the same traps and made a second holding level with chicken wire.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home