August 14, 2018, 04:36:02 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current VA Crab Regulations  (Read 44245 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 11:38:45 AM »

Jack, can a recreational crabber crab on Sunday ?
Yes.  24/7/365 with handles (which includes collapsible traps).  One exception is if you have a 5 crab pot gear license.  You can not fish the pots on Sunday if you do.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
tbishop

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 03:35:17 PM »

So for the last few years I have paid the fee to use 300ft trotline (on my Sea Doo jet ski), have not been real successful, maybe 2-3dozen crabs, if I read right I have to report my cache??? Jack any advise, Thank's in Advance.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 09:26:10 AM »

So for the last few years I have paid the fee to use 300ft trotline (on my Sea Doo jet ski), have not been real successful, maybe 2-3dozen crabs, if I read right I have to report my cacheHuh Jack any advise, Thank's in Advance.
Yup.

4VAC20-670-50. Reporting requirements.

Any person using recreational gear, other than recreational fish cast net, recreational fish dip net or recreational eel pot, described in 4 VAC 20-670-20 shall report annually, on forms provided by the commission, the weight and species harvested, location of harvest, days fished, and amount of gear used.
http://www.mrc.state.va.us/forms/recform.pdf

Dae

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2016, 10:19:57 PM »

Jack,

Am I reading this right?  I'm from MD but if I want, I can drop 2 crab pots (commercial types), without a license, in the water for personal use?  I didn't see any restriction saying it was for residents only.  

I'm also confused about the annual licenses.. it says Rec crab pound or trap.. do I need this $10 license?  If so, what types of trap does it cover?

Last question .. at least for now ... is the crabbing really that good that a 300ft trotline will do?
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 09:02:11 AM »

Jack,

Am I reading this right?  I'm from MD but if I want, I can drop 2 crab pots (commercial types), without a license, in the water for personal use?  I didn't see any restriction saying it was for residents only. 

Yes your are reading it correctly.  2 pots/person.  If you have 4 people in your party you could use 8 pots. They must be with you when you fish them.  If you want to buy a couple, I sell them all fixed up and ready to fish. 40 bucks each.

I'm also confused about the annual licenses.. it says Rec crab pound or trap.. do I need this $10 license?  If so, what types of trap does it cover?

a pound/trap is a semi-permentate structure built on the shore line. it's a crab fyke net. -> https://www.bluecrab.info/crabbing/softcrabs.html

To answer your last question, I have never seen a 'local' use a trotline down here.  Why would one when you can just drop a couple pots. :-)

The pic is a "crab trap / pound'.

Dae

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2016, 07:03:55 PM »

To answer your last question, I have never seen a 'local' use a trotline down here.  Why would one when you can just drop a couple pots. :-)

Is the crabbing really that good down there that you can catch a bushel of crabs with a couple of pots in a few hours or less?  Back in the 80's I remember catching a bushel with 6 to 10 handlines, off piers, in about 4 hours... Those days have been long gone up here in MD.

I haven't been crabbing for years, but when I use to crab a lot, trotlines produced way quicker than pots ever could and takes up much less space to transport and use.

BTW, a friend of mine has a LCC, which he uses for personal use and a couple weeks ago, he put out 10 or 12 pots (can't remember the exact #, but it was double digits) overnight and got a whopping total of 4 crabs in the upper bay.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 09:08:47 PM »

Is the crabbing really that good down there that you can catch a bushel of crabs with a couple of pots in a few hours or less? 
No. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home