October 21, 2020, 02:54:05 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to understand the point of the posts  (Read 14623 times)
f250

« on: June 17, 2008, 10:51:44 PM »

Hi,
I am just trying to understand the point of crabbing reports with specific locations, etc.. spelled out.  I see a post for the Severn with well over a 1,000 views.  One for the Wye with close to a 1,000.  Shipping Creek 300 +, etc.....   Does everyone see what this does each year?  It creates a swarm on the chosen creek or bay.  Ramps are overloaded, there is no place to park, no place to crab, etc..  So to help me a little...   You have a decent trip and catch some crabs with your family and friends.  AWESOME! You get home, sign on and tell 1,000 plus strangers exactly what happened.  Is the hope and intent that when you go back the following weekend you will not be able to even remotely get near the spot again until the crabs are cleaned out? 

I have watched many spots over the last few years just get over-run with crabbers beyond the capacity of the facility and the crabs in the creek.  The obvious answer are detailed posts...

Not bashing....  Just trying to understand it all because it makes no sense to me.  This isn't talking to your buddy about a good trip you had.  You just put the details of a good crabbing spot up on the internet.  So guess what will happen?Huh  Not to mention the intense strain put upon the resource.

Thanks
04ness

Im Feelin Crabby!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 11:26:10 PM »

Well, I guess if no one shared information and tried to help each other, then there would not be a crabbing forum. Huh

Actually there would not be a forum about any topic on the net. Actually there would be no internet! Undecided

So why did you register if you dont want to contribute? lipsrsealed2 lipsrsealed2

If you really want all the secret details, hit the donation button and become a real member. idea3 You even get to go to all the secret crabbing places on the bay that only BCA members are allowed to crab at! gossip
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 11:27:53 PM by 04ness » Logged
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:23:25 AM »

2thumbsup

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
CRABBINDAVE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 07:00:40 AM »

There is tons of thousands of creeks ,marsh,and bays for everybody to go crabbing,fishing,boating,etc.Whats so wrong in helping other people enjoy the same thing you do? Get over yourself man!!!  bigcry bigcry bigcry

Love being a chicken necker!!!! Proudly support the BCA! [SAM HILL] of a good site!!
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 07:12:29 AM »

so this was your first post - telling everybody to shut up Sad Sad

why give any information at all- like rigging, bait, boats, motors etc etc... it all helps the competition and potentially takes crabs away from you

he11, they shouldn't even make maps because it all helps other people  laugh laugh laugh

interesting first post  Grin Grin Grin welcome aboard and you don't have to post any useful or helpful information  laugh laugh laugh laugh

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 07:31:40 AM »

Come on guys,he made a great point,nothing wrong with sharing a little general info but everyone one you know that if somebody posts that he caught 2 bushels of big crabs in Loyds creeks by 9 that by next weekend you will have to have DNR directing traffic on the water there. The Media started doing it about 20 years ago and here Fla Sportsman Magazine has totally destroyed every good local fishing spot in the state and if a hot spot come up the local fishing reports in local papers take care of it the next weekend.
We have a fishing forum here with over 2000 members and these guys have learned that if you post the name of a creek you caught fish in don't bother to go back.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
GOT CRABS?

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 07:34:27 AM »

I was going to give exact gps long and lat for my spot Shocked Shocked
Corndog

Juz look at em'

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 07:44:23 AM »

My spots all have the Big red X on em, cant miss em.... Grin

Money cant buy you happiness....But it CAN put you in a yacht big enough to pull up next to it !!!!!
crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

awww geeeez....another one

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 08:00:04 AM »

The best place to crab.. according to The National Crabber MAGAZINE IS

" ANYWHERE IN ST> MARKS FLA>"!!  Laad up the truck....lets go!!! Roll Eyes

"CHESAPEAKE FEVER" catch it and you'll know "WYE"
masspi

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 09:11:10 AM »

Ok, for all you guys up North, this is the last time I am posting my best spot

Just stay away when I am there

sighanson

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 09:21:34 AM »

I really don't think that people read these posts and run down to an area the next day, all at once.  And so what if they did.  The average person doesn't crab hard like most of us here and probably wouldn't catch enough to make an inpact on the population in that area.  So I don't think you have anything to worry about.  And another thing, there is no such thing as a "secret spot" these days anyway. Roll Eyes
renduke

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 09:21:45 AM »

Dear Newbie when crabs are running that HOT they tend to be in at least a 15 mile area......it's pretty rare that you will kill em in one spot and come up empty just 3 miles down the road.

I can understand you might not want to tell about an exact spot but i don't see anything wrong with talking about general areas.

I use to know a GREAT place on long island the morons knocked the pier down and rebuilt it.
problem? when they rebuilt it they made it like 60 ft high.......smart huh ?

GOOD news ? I know of at least 3 or 4 other spots.
sighanson

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 09:26:24 AM »

f250,
I just read your post again.  I think you may have exagerated just a little. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
I also bet you went on 4th of July weekend.  Try getting out on a Monday......early.
renduke

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 09:26:34 AM »

I really don't think that people read these posts and run down to an area the next day, all at once.  And so what if they did.  The average person doesn't crab hard like most of us here and probably wouldn't catch enough to make an inpact on the population in that area.  So I don't think you have anything to worry about.  And another thing, there is no such thing as a "secret spot" these days anyway. Roll Eyes

i agree, i go like maybe 5 times a year...if i get 10 to 20 i am happy......i sure most people here have be shut out and also had days where they got 40 in 3 hours.......in most of long island it's a limit of 50 per day.
Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 09:58:46 AM »

Come on guys,he made a great point,nothing wrong with sharing a little general info but everyone one you know that if somebody posts that he caught 2 bushels of big crabs in Loyds creeks by 9 that by next weekend you will have to have DNR directing traffic on the water there. The Media started doing it about 20 years ago and here Fla Sportsman Magazine has totally destroyed every good local fishing spot in the state and if a hot spot come up the local fishing reports in local papers take care of it the next weekend.
We have a fishing forum here with over 2000 members and these guys have learned that if you post the name of a creek you caught fish in don't bother to go back.

Yep!

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 11:11:41 AM »

Ok, for all you guys up North, this is the last time I am posting my best spot

Just stay away when I am there

Masspi, I used to put an X marking the hotspots in the water like in your picture, but I found that weather and waves, etc.  would wash it away...now I mark my hotspots by putting a big red X in the bottom of the boat where mother nature can't get to it....Wink

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
RYASON

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »

Look at what  happened to Mariner Point last year.  This year will be worse.  Trucks and trailors parked on grass, in front of "no parking" signs, cops everywhere and staff that has no idea on how to control it.  Wouldn't be surprised to see ramp fees and closed gates soon.  Share and help when you can, but the man has a point.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 12:20:53 PM »

in my view  the info on this board has almost nothing to do over crowding at any particular place or spot in md waters. everywhere i go even when i stay in my own back yard it's to crowded because there are to many people and in some cases not enough acsess. from what i can see rec crabbing has increased alot just in the last 5 yearsand i'm not trying to start an argument just saying what i see. on the comm. side the lic. have been limited for a while and will be more soon . as the popultation grows so will this problem get used to it.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 01:04:19 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

You obviously don't crab in MD very much laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Git 'r dun!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 01:13:41 PM »

Welcome aboard F250..  I am afraid that I agree with you also.  Take your best friend to your secret spot.  Next time you can't go he will take a friend.  Then the friend takes a friend....... It's just human nature..  It is also human nature for some folks to want to keep it all to themselves.  I know folks on this board that just want to share everything with everybody.. That is the way they are.  That is why they post.  People want to tell folks, "Look what I have done!"  My 2 cents...  Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home