February 20, 2018, 12:41:26 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Potomac River Crabbing  (Read 16599 times)
miss crabbin

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2008, 11:05:01 PM »

I live in Alexandria, Va and I'm about 5 blocks from the Potomac. I' ve yet to see a pier or drop off where I could go crabbing. Does anyone know where I'm can go? I'm also not far at all from Reagan International and that park just beside it. Any suggestions?
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 08:14:44 AM »

Welcome to the BCA..   I think,  thats to far up the rivier for blue crabs,,

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:43:46 AM »

I don't think you will catch any there, unless they fell of one of the vendors at the Wharf in DC.  I would believe ya would need to head towards the Harry Nice Bridge (RT301) or at least that general area +/_ a few miles to catch crabs. Good Luck!!!

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
captbill

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 01:41:42 PM »

Right now crabs are only as far up as the powerlines at Quantico. I have never herd of them going above Belvoir at anytime. Cherryhill is the farthest any commercial crabbbers go on the Potomac. As far a public access you are looking at Colonial Beach or Westmorland State Park which are not close.
crabby chris

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 09:09:48 AM »

I live in Fredericksburg, and I crab the Potomac, mostly. You are wasting your time anywhere north of Fairview beach. Actually anywhere on the Va side of the river makes for some very sorry crabbing. Your best bet is to get a Md license and head across the river. Grin

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 09:26:44 AM »

I live in Fredericksburg, and I crab the Potomac, mostly. You are wasting your time anywhere north of Fairview beach. Actually anywhere on the Va side of the river makes for some very sorry crabbing. Your best bet is to get a Md license and head across the river. Grin
Everyone knows, There are no crabs in VA.   Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
chesapeake_angler

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 01:17:12 AM »

Have you found a good spot too crab yet cuz there here bushel in 2 hours you could catch more if you want better bigger crabs go to some mud bottom if you could lay your trot line the edge of sand and mud you will catch them good I know a spot for you if your still not catching them email me at yahoo I do know a secret bait method to use on a trotline snoods that makes you catch more and heavy crabs and a secret bait you can use this bait with chicken necks bull lips and eel and catch alot more crabs you also need a roller type trot line arm so your bait and line does not get heavy vibration this method and type of trotline set up you will catch them a bushel an hour you can use 1200 ft trot line MD 300ft in VA so about 2 hours on short line I make custom lines for me and if you buy supplies I can make one for you(and anyone) just email at yahoo chesapeake_angler I make my system in 300ft lengths even for the 1200 ft line and I attach 4 lines a good trotline system and that roller makes all the difference
carlton.p.tolsdorfjr

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 04:04:59 PM »

I will be crabbing soon at a new weekend place that I am purchasing off of Colton's point Maryland. I would be interested in purchasing your rigging and recommendations for bait!

Cheers,

Carlton  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Potomacker

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 02:20:24 PM »

As a fellow Alexandrian, I can almost positively assure you that crabbing is not great in our neck of the River. I have heard reports of crabbing in the Gunston Cove/Pohick Bay or Occoquan areas, but they tend to be small and not great to eat. I suggest driving about 1.5 hours down to Colonial Beach, where crabs get really nice. There is also some ok crabbing around Quantico. However it's not entirely unheard of around the bridge, but just as in Gunston, good sized crabs are not a frequent appearance.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home