October 20, 2021, 08:03:01 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some info PLEASE !  (Read 2909 times)
anson

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2008, 04:00:06 PM »

So I've been checking this site out for the last year or so waiting and dreaming of the day I moved to Greenville, NC and could get back to the water and crab.
Now that I'm here I'm having little luck !  We (my fiancÚ and I) spent a week or so in the area last year and puled up tons of crabs in New Bern and the state park in Washington.  Now we can't get but a nibble !
Is it too hot, not the right time, not the right spot ?
We're headed back to New Bern today or maybe this weekend to see what we can pull up.
Can anyone let me know the closest place I can go to from Greenville ? What time of the day seems to work best ?  I know it was about dusk last year when we had the best of luck .
Please help if you can !!!!  This is something that really lets us spend good time together and we really enjoy it so help out if you will !
Thanks a million ,
Anson
anson

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 02:30:12 PM »

We headed down to new Bern yesterday and spent about 2 hours there, from about 7pm till 9 pm and got nothing at all.
I'm not sure whats up, just not working out for us !
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 05:53:06 PM »

I am not farmilar with your area but I would talk to the local tackel shops and try to find someone close to you that fish's that area.  Maybe you can buy a dozen or so and ask where they came from.  Someone on the board will be able to help you get started...  Smiley

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Seanile
In Memoriam 06/2021
Lifetime Member

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 06:20:57 PM »

We headed down to new Bern yesterday and spent about 2 hours there, from about 7pm till 9 pm and got nothing at all.
I'm not sure whats up, just not working out for us !

You may have missed a moving tide with that 2 hour window.  First thing I do when planning a trip is check the tides for whatever area I'm headed to.  Here's the link for a NC tide calculator - check the area where you were and see how the tides were running for 6/19:

http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/ncarolinasites.html

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
anson

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 11:15:18 AM »

See, I thought I read somewhere that the tide was coming in at 8:20.  I thought that would put us in the right spot at the right time.  We went to that park / boat launch right at the edge of town.  When we were there last year (albeit a month later) we were pulling them up left and right !
We might just head out to lake Mattamaskeet today.  Anyone know if you have to hit that at a certain time or not ? We're just using hand lines now, hopefully we can pull something up from there.  Seems like there are some biggies Smiley

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home