February 23, 2018, 07:27:09 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: does anyone know how much holding pen's cost? been looking for a long time.  (Read 5578 times)
125blackfire

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2008, 08:17:45 PM »

iv been searching all day for holding pens for blue crabs i will be crabbing this summer. i have my crabbing license i will only be able too catch 2 bushels of crabs a day. could anyone give me a link or prices of holding pens for crabs, and how much do i need a holding pen? i live 30 minutes away from south river where i fish.

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple
masspi

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 07:05:28 AM »

I think what you are looking for is called a Live Car.  There are a number of sources on the WWW who sell them, but my experience in trying to use them for anything but Lobster has been pretty grim.  You are aware that there is not a more disagreeable creature on the earth than the Blue Crab.  Even keeping bait in the car at all times, they will kill each other.  I have a two compartment car that I tie of to my mooring to hold Lobster and tried several times to hold crab.  There will always be a few that have been chopped up by the others.  Not much success for me.

Here is a link to Ketcham Traps where I got mine several years ago.

http://lobstering.com/livepen06.GIF

You might B-mail RD on the forum down in Florida, he is a commercial crabber who I am sure has a better insight on this.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 07:30:06 AM »

Yeah I agree, they always kill each other.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 10:17:08 AM »

whats the WWW? and how many do they kill is a whole lot going too die or is just a couple?

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 10:21:56 AM »

whats the WWW? and how many do they kill is a whole lot going too die or is just a couple?
I keep blue crab at my pier all the time.  Very few die but you have to keep them fed so they do not try to eat one another.  I use my old crab pots with the funnels pinched closed.  I keep about a dozen crabs per pot.  Have had some more than 5 days with zero loss.  Cool

PS: Search the forum for "Live Box"  Wink
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 10:23:55 AM by jack1747 » Logged

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"

125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 11:35:26 AM »

how much do live box's cost? i dont know the price range.

lreops
Lifetime Member

Before my Hair Implants

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 12:12:25 PM »

When I was a boy and spent the summers at my grandmothers who lived on a creek just off of Whitehall Bay, everyone had a live box tied to their pier. If I remember correctly, they were about 4' by 6' made of wood. Nothing fancy, maybe 1 X 8 side boards with the bottom being wooden slats (like what you used behind plaster walls and ceilings) spaced about " apart. In the top corners, the same slats were put across the corners to prevent the crabs from climbing up the corner to escape. Can't remember ever having a problem of them dieing, other than one once in awhile and only occasionally throwing in a fish head or some old eel from the box traps at the end of the pier. They would stay in there for a couple of weeks at times (not very often though, my grandmother and her sisters were big crab lovers), I think they would wait until there was at least a bushel and then steam them to have some fresh out of the pot and the remainder would be picked for crab cakes and Maryland style crab soup.

Ron
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 12:14:38 PM by lreops » Logged

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
masspi

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 03:21:21 PM »

Blackfire

WWW = World Wide Web, The Internet

Call Ketcham traps and ask for Bob, he will tell you the price.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home