October 22, 2019, 02:47:25 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lobsters?  (Read 12651 times)
eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 03:44:50 PM »

theres absolutely a lobster fishery in nj... the sea bass/tog boats catch them as a bycatch and there is some that directly fish for them... back in the early '80s my dad caught one in the back bay in an eel pot
woogiebear

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 08:29:30 PM »

I'm finding it real hard to locate some lobster pots to use.  I was just about to give up but now i'm gonna start looking again.  Who knows, maybe we'll start a new trend! lol
salt hay

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 08:38:18 PM »

That lobster record has been broken too. The new record is 15 pds 3oz taken outside absecon inlet in '03...........................
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:40:15 PM by salt hay » Logged
rockinchef

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 08:39:18 PM »

Woog, did you try e bay I did some lobster pots on there some time ago, or try craigs list there must be something on there, anyway good luck hope you do well
robc22

THE LOBSTER GURU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 03:09:00 AM »

Ketchum trap in new bedford ma

lobstering.com

they ship ups

Lobster Troll #1.........

"Beli . . . Beli . . . Belichnikov! … Belichick! Great man! Great leader!".......George Steinbrenner

"Eat wild fish/shellfish...... not something from china"...... Stillfishing

"Listen or your tongue will keep you deaf."......... Native American Proverb

“Oh, I could spend my life having this conversation - look - please try to understand before one of us dies”...... John Cleese

"Never met a bluefish I wouldn't sell"........Maddmatt

woogiebear

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 05:16:39 AM »

Thanks!  I checked out ebay and craigs list but didnt find much.  I hope to get out crabbing hopefully next weekend.  If I get a lobster pot by then i'll try it out. 
unclebuttsy

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 06:41:12 AM »

like Rob said,

Ketcham Trap is the only place I know of that'll ship lobster pots.

www.lobstering.com
Pinchy

Instructions: Hunt, fish, crab - rinse and repeat.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 06:43:01 AM »

they caught a lobster in new jersey, will wonders never cease?

Hey Rob, not pickin' on ya, but there are plenty of lobsters off NJ coast. Not enough to maintain a commercial fishery*, however it's actually a big thing with scuba divers around here, they dive reefs and wrecks and pull huge "bugs" out of there. If any of you look at NJ fishing regulations, the legal size for lobster is given along with size limits for fish and crabs. Here's another website with links for anyone interested in catching lobsters in NJ:

http://www.oceanwreckdivers.com/nj_lobster_regulations.php

*This may be wrong (arguing with myself again Sad ). Here's the result of a 2008 prosecution of a NJ lobsterman who was lobstering with untagged traps. The fine was $68,000 so it must be a big deal down here. Shocked

New Jersey fishing captain settles lobster case with NOAA
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/ole/news/news_NED_041008.htm

"On June 16, 2006, New Jersey Conservation Officers conducted an undercover operation targeting lobster fishermen who were fishing with untagged lobster traps..."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 06:50:24 AM by Pinchy » Logged

Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.
nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 09:23:58 AM »

I've seen divers pull lobster out of the Shark River Inlet. That was when it was much deeper. I fish off of the Sea Devil out of Point Pleasant NJ for Bluefish. It's next door to The Point Lobster Company. They've got about twenty refrigerated trucks that run up and down the Turnpike, 195, etc. It's a fair sized commercial fishery for temperate waters. You don't get spiny lobster till way south of here.

Also, there are lobster boats in Belmar and Highlands at Bahr's Landing. You can count thousands of lobster pots up and down the coast. Not as big as Mass or Maine, but there's a lotta lobster out there.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:47:35 AM by nadapesca » Logged
nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »

Hey all!
I was talking to a commercial fisherman and we got talking about crabbing and such.  He was telling me that I should try going for lobster in the Sandy Hook bay.  I don't know anything about it and tried to look it up on the NJ Fish and game site and couldn't find anything.  He was saying I could get a recreational license like I have for crabbing.  I'm looking to find out about that and lobster traps, where to get them, etc.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!!!!  Hope all your crab traps are full!

I fish a lot in SH Bay, not a great place for lobster. It's shallow and warm. You put a single pot in there and the Belford pirates will snap it up before you can say thief. Hate to sound negative, but I have friends in the area (Atlantic Highlands, Belford) and they've had similar experiences.

woogiebear

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 04:37:40 PM »

Thats what I was afraid of.  I figure i'd take the kids out in the bay at Sandy Hook and throw a couple crab pots and a lobster trap out someplace we could kinda keep an eye on them.  Then do some fluking for the day.  Who knows? 
woogiebear

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2008, 04:41:46 PM »

Just checked out the Ketchum website.  Cool place!  Thanks!
nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2008, 04:46:54 PM »

Thats what I was afraid of.  I figure I'd take the kids out in the bay at Sandy Hook and throw a couple crab pots and a lobster trap out someplace we could kinda keep an eye on them.  Then do some fluking for the day.  Who knows? 

That sounds like a good plan. But, keep a good sharp eye out. I'll be up there Monday or Tuesday. I've taken a couple days off and I'm gonna hit the Elaine-B out of Bahr's Landing or The Sea Hawk out of Perth Amboy, depending on what time I get my butt outta bed. Have fun.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home