October 14, 2019, 04:35:53 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tred Avon River - Worth Reading ***  (Read 10403 times)
tred crabber

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:17:50 AM »

I live on the Tred Avon river and crab every weekend. Some of these glowing reports need to be questioned.
Everyone I speak with is have the same result as I have had. "To much work for too few crabs." I usually talk to 8-10  chicken necker boats a day as well as the commercial guys out of Bellevue. The first couple weeks were ok, but now it is tough.
   Serious crabbers are not going to get on here and broadcast where they are getting bushels of crabs in a few hours.
 I had a hot spot all to myself for 4 weeks a couple of years ago. I never told anyone, but someone obviously found it and now there are 12 boats rub rail to rub rail there every weekend.
  Until 3 years ago I could catch 2 bushels in 3-4 hours, throw the mediums back and keep 5-6 dozen large ones. Now I crab 8 hours for less than a bushel of mediums. If anyone claims they are getting a bushel of jumbos out of the Tred, they are good story tellers. Our crabs ,on average, are not the jumbos you can get for $75 per dozen at the Crab Claw. Those crabs are coming from the Chester and Miles.
 September and October may bring back the fun.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:40:51 PM by Seanile » Logged
kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:19:10 AM »

Glad to hear that.  I thought I was just a lousy crabber! laugh

"May all your peach, orange, laundry baskets and coolers, be filled." Tongue
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:28:05 AM »

I read every report and also talk to my neighbors.  Listen to the VHF all day.  Local reports are not good.  We also had a good spring but now crabbing is really slow.  Allot of my buddies have pulled out cause they are not making gas money.  I am hoping it is this peeler run that is just starting up.  If thing don't pick up after that, say in 2 weeks... It looks bad.   Undecided

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 11:28:59 AM »

Thanks for the report.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 12:37:15 PM »

I used to go back in the early 90's and catch 5 bushel in about 5 hours.Now it takes all day for a bushel if you can find a spot!

Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 12:58:29 PM »

Great report / statement. Thanks for the input & welcome to the forum.

Those who are having trouble getting "their bushel" would do well to re-read this post occasionally.  Wink

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
muleman88

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:07:24 PM »

tred crabber first let me say I wish I could live where you do. We have been down there 3 times this year and it does seem hit or miss. 2 times just getting dinner but once we started at little before 6 and stoped at 8:00 with just shy 1 bushel. Thats been 1 week ago today and it was loaded with small crabs, no mumbos . Thanks for the report im always interested in post about the tred. I hope it gets more consistent.
redneckshoreboy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 12:49:53 PM »

Its crabbed out plain and simple, to many people.
kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »

I was just reading a newspaper article from this spring about some comm. crabbers in Crisfield.  They were saying how this was the best spring they'd seen in 40 years, and how they thought the new restrictions were unneccesary and a bunch of baloney, and there were plenty of crabs, etc. etc..  Guess they were a little premature in their assessment. Cry

Islander
Lifetime Member

"Life is simple, its just not easy."

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 04:36:47 PM »

Its crabbed out plain and simple, to many people.

That's true of the whole bay area.  Cry

kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 11:45:05 PM »

Just my opinion, but I think pollution and climate change have more to do with the bay's decline than overfishing.  If there weren't so many dead zones, we could have 10 times as many comms and there would still be enough to go around. Undecided 

olepaw

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 06:09:04 AM »

Olepaw says you are a honest fellow.  Been out couple times and found the same thing.  Dont know if the crabs came out late this year or what but you are right - just not many large crabs out there.  Do know there are lots of small ones.......mebe hope for late Aug into the Fall.

Thanks again for your honest report - thats what makes this site so helpful.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 09:21:05 AM »

People stretch the truth on this board??  I'm shocked Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Huh Huh Huh Shocked Shocked

Git 'r dun!
Shore Cure

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 09:37:51 AM »

Thanks for the honest report!  I've been running trotlines (recreationally) for almost 20 years, and this is undoubtedly the worst year Iíve ever seen.   About 4 years ago, I could get 2 packed bushels in twice as many hours while on the West River (launched in Shadyside, Md).  Now Iím on Kent Island and crab Cox and Thompson Creeks, and have done pretty weel in the past few years, but itís been pretty darn slow.  Iíve been out 10 times--5+ hours each time--and havenít packed a bushel yet.  The folks I talk to out there are not doing that well either. 

To end on a positive note, there are lots of smaller crabs out there, which is a good sign for the future... 
Griz17

Hot Crabs and Cold Beer

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 01:54:40 AM »

I agree with you about the Tred.  I've crabbed that river from time to time since I was a little kid with my father.  One thing the Tred has been known for as long as I can remember is small crabs.  Although, in the 2006 season I went there in early June for the first time in years.  We ended up filling 2 bushel on the incoming tide in the afternoon.  We only crabbed for about 3 hours and the ironic part was the crabs were the biggest I've ever seen come out of that river in my whole life.  The average size was 7 to 8 inches. Huh Huh Huh  It must have been a freak thing because after 3 more trips, 2 in June and 1 the first week of July the Tred fell back to what it is famous for Small Crabs. I remember that last trip July 3, 2006 the day before the Fourth the crabbing at the Tred started to slow up a great deal and the crabs were not as nearly as big as the week before.  After a half of a bushel by Noon we ended up pulling up and we headed over to the Wye where we spent the afternoon catching our other bushel and a half.  That was the last time I made the trip to the Tred because of small crabs and poor reports.  I usually don't remember exact dates and what river I crabbed a few years ago, but because the crabs were that big coming out of the Tred there is no way I could forget those trips to the Tred Avon River in June of 2006.  It was probably a once in a life time experience. laugh laugh  This season so far has been long days with a lot of work involved trying to top a full bushel.  Last year when we worked this hard it was trying to top the second bushel.  I still love being out there slow crabbing or not there is nothing like watching the sun come as make a run down the trotline.
                                        Griz

kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 10:10:59 AM »

I agree with you about the Tred.  I've crabbed that river from time to time since I was a little kid with my father.  One thing the Tred has been known for as long as I can remember is small crabs.  Although, in the 2006 season I went there in early June for the first time in years.  We ended up filling 2 bushel on the incoming tide in the afternoon.  We only crabbed for about 3 hours and the ironic part was the crabs were the biggest I've ever seen come out of that river in my whole life.  The average size was 7 to 8 inches. Huh Huh Huh  It must have been a freak thing because after 3 more trips, 2 in June and 1 the first week of July the Tred fell back to what it is famous for Small Crabs. I remember that last trip July 3, 2006 the day before the Fourth the crabbing at the Tred started to slow up a great deal and the crabs were not as nearly as big as the week before.  After a half of a bushel by Noon we ended up pulling up and we headed over to the Wye where we spent the afternoon catching our other bushel and a half.  That was the last time I made the trip to the Tred because of small crabs and poor reports.  I usually don't remember exact dates and what river I crabbed a few years ago, but because the crabs were that big coming out of the Tred there is no way I could forget those trips to the Tred Avon River in June of 2006.  It was probably a once in a life time experience. laugh laugh  This season so far has been long days with a lot of work involved trying to top a full bushel.  Last year when we worked this hard it was trying to top the second bushel.  I still love being out there slow crabbing or not there is nothing like watching the sun come as make a run down the trotline.
                                        Griz
Sometimes we don't appreciate something until it's gone. Wink

madcrab

Say hello to my littl' friend!!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 11:47:59 PM »

Crabs are moving north...plain and simple.  Head to the Hudson!!! Cool

"...as a free man, I take pride in saying, I am a doughnut."
kcullip2006

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 11:57:25 PM »

I hope not.  I was in NYC last week and was appalled by the water quality there.  People laying on the beach with trash and garbage ALL around them and in the water.  Absolutely disgusting.  Heard a local say it wasn't like that under Guilliani.  But Bloomberg could care less. Cry

catchincrabs

Catch me if you can!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 11:13:23 AM »

There doesn't seem to be much evidence of the crabs making a big run north. I have pots set as far north as the bohemia and see the big rigs all moving their pots back down below pooles island.I hope something happens soon. The water doesn't look good at all in alot of spots around the bay. If I were drop potting or trotlining I would head farther up into the creeks and rivers than normal, crabs often seem to go there when the o2 levels are low. If we can get a full day and night of slow steady rain it will turn things around in a matter of days. CC

Take a kid crabbing you wont regret it!!!
Deadeye

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 12:55:37 AM »

I was on the Tred Sat at sun up. finished at 10:30 with 3/4 bushel with several 8" to 9 1/4 in the basket. Threw back many under size but had a good time even in the heat.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home