April 19, 2019, 01:11:10 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steaming Mixture Question  (Read 5320 times)
Brian

I Love GP Crabs!

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2008, 11:34:40 PM »

I have a 62 quart bayou classic pot and was wondering how much water and apple cider vinager I should be adding I want to be shure that I am putting enough so I dont burn the bottom of the pot I dont want to be lifting the top to check every ten min and let all the steam out Thanks also If anyone has this pot how long do you steam yours for I have a 180,000 btu burner

In Loving Memory Of Eddie Lee Wheeler Jr
                     1983-2007
RIP Brother You Will Never Be Forgotten
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 08:47:25 AM »

I have a 62 quart bayou classic pot and was wondering how much water and apple cider vinager I should be adding I want to be shure that I am putting enough so I dont burn the bottom of the pot I dont want to be lifting the top to check every ten min and let all the steam out Thanks also If anyone has this pot how long do you steam yours for I have a 180,000 btu burner
I have basically the same set up.  I use half gallon of water and a half gallon of ACV.  As hot as I can run the burner, 25 mins.  Never have burned a pot with that set up..  Wink Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
sighanson

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 09:22:35 AM »

Pot size doesn't really matter.  My rule is 2'' of water/cider/beer.  Should draw plenty of steam. Wink
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 01:05:31 PM »

That will work.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Brian

I Love GP Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:09:46 PM »

Thanks for the info guys.

In Loving Memory Of Eddie Lee Wheeler Jr
                     1983-2007
RIP Brother You Will Never Be Forgotten

jgar529

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:24:09 PM »

I have basically the same set up.  I use half gallon of water and a half gallon of ACV.  As hot as I can run the burner, 25 mins.  Never have burned a pot with that set up..  Wink Cool

I do the same thing only I use just the cheap regular vinegar.  I tried the ACV and I didn't care for it.  Everyone has their own taste.  Only I start them with cold water and it takes 37 minutes.  You can do a whole bushel in a 62 Qt. pot.  It takes the same amount of time when I use my 44 Qt. pot but I don't use as much water and vinegar that pot does 3/4 of a bushel.  If I get a bushel and a half I just use the 44 qt. and do them twice.  That pot is not so awkward to clean.  The 62 qt. is a heavy sucker if you have the Stainless version.

Thats what I'm talkin' bout!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »

Pot size doesn't really matter.  My rule is 2'' of water/cider/beer.  Should draw plenty of steam. Wink
I measured the liquid last night.  It was almost 2"  Wink

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:33:29 AM »

I agree the 2 inch rule and make sure it is belwo the  steam rakc/plate in thepot otherwise they will get soggy.  As the crabs cook to they sweat out water and can increase the level too.  so 2 inch is a good startign place 25-30 minutes depending on how tightly packed the crabs are and how hard shelled they are.

But what do I know... I just use yuengling beer.....for liquid.. Cool

MD / PA Line
Chef Lar
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 11:00:42 AM »

But what do I know... I just use yuengling beer.....for liquid..

C-dog. I knew you were smart, but you're supposed to drink the Yuengling. You'll have plenty of "liquid" when you've polished off a few if you know what I mean. Yuengling brewery, Pottsville Pa. The oldest brewery in North America 2thumbsup

"Don't be a dumbass." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 12:15:59 PM »

But what do I know... I just use yuengling beer.....for liquid..

C-dog. I knew you were smart, but you're supposed to drink the Yuengling. You'll have plenty of "liquid" when you've polished off a few if you know what I mean. Yuengling brewery, Pottsville Pa. The oldest brewery in North America 2thumbsup

I know but it is a real robust flavorful beer and makes for a good steam pot.  I also use it boil my johnsonville brats in.  chop up an onion and a pack or two of brats in a couple of yings.  boil 20 minutes.  remove brats, strain onions out.  place beer onions in a tin pan with a little butter and place on either a charcoal grill or a gas grill with a smoke box going.  then grill brats till grilled to your liking.  I like em a little rusty as the saying goes.  serve on a potato roll / bun with jack daniel's mustard, little mayo, ketchup some of the smoky beer onions and a few banana hots and watch the football game.  now that is some good digs ... try it this fall can't beat em. 
Only thing bettter is eating some freh caught crabs while watching football. 

.....Cdog

MD / PA Line

Potty Mouth
Lifetime Member

Location: Still, somewhere 'tween the steampot and the cooler

Whatever... SSDD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 07:51:30 PM »

:freak:Yeungling in the pot...  Robust enough for steaming crabs... I'll say...   Remind me not to have dog over to steam crabs and watch football... he'll be pourin my fine Yuengling draft beer into the kegpot... I'd have to cry bigcry bigcry bigcry...  wink3 we'll sneak in my neighbors cooler for the Budlight to steam crabs with (JK)...
My crab pot is perty much always 1/2 gal water 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar which is stronger than most, handful of JO2 and 3 beers of choice...
Brings a tear to my eye everytime I smell it come to a boil... yes

"Not all that can be counted, counts. And not all that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 11:56:30 AM »

Erik,

fine I will bring my own beer to steam in brother....   Cool

MD / PA Line
Potty Mouth
Lifetime Member

Location: Still, somewhere 'tween the steampot and the cooler

Whatever... SSDD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 07:54:08 PM »

Grin
Just pullin the dogs chain... 85 beers in a 1/4 keg... we can throw a few in the pot bro!  Lets do it..The GP G2G for an away game this season ....

"Not all that can be counted, counts. And not all that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
577NitroExpress

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »

Newbie here, so hello everyone...

Regarding Yuengling beer (what I was raised on as I'm a Philly boy now living in Virginia just outside of DC), it is a fine beer to steam with!

I was once told by a chef friend of mine in regards to using wine for cooking (and I believer holds true for beer), "the wine you use for cooking should be the same wine you would enjoy drinking.  If it is not good enough to drink, it ain't good enough to cook with."

I believe what he says, so when I steam up some crabs with vinegar, water and beer, I always use something I would drink myself.
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »

Newbie here, so hello everyone...

Regarding Yuengling beer (what I was raised on as I'm a Philly boy now living in Virginia just outside of DC), it is a fine beer to steam with!

I was once told by a chef friend of mine in regards to using wine for cooking (and I believer holds true for beer), "the wine you use for cooking should be the same wine you would enjoy drinking.  If it is not good enough to drink, it ain't good enough to cook with."

I believe what he says, so when I steam up some crabs with vinegar, water and beer, I always use something I would drink myself.

That notion for using wine for cooking that you would enjoy for drinking is probably true I'm sure. On Graham Kerr's, "The Galloping Gourment" cooking show  for example,  he used to have a drink of the same wine he added to the recipe.   Smiley

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home