May 16, 2021, 01:06:39 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Commercial boats w/ clams  (Read 4066 times)
DirtyDog

« on: September 13, 2004, 08:37:02 AM »

I just wanted to know if the commercial boats will sell a bushel of clams or oysters on their way in? I often see them when we are out crabbing and always wanted to run up and ask, but I didn't want to bother them. I'm kinda new to all of this and was hoping one of the watermen could help us out.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 08:46:34 AM »

That is a hard one to answer.  It comes down to what mood the guy is in and how he is doing business.  If he has a contract for his whole catch, etc.  

Just the other day I needed a dozen softcrabs for a fishing party that afternoon.  Jumped in the skiff and ran out to a peeler potter.  This same guy I have bought from at his onshore place.  He would not sell me anything from the boat.  Even after explaining that I was just trying to avoid the 20 minute auto drive to his place he said no.  Wont be going back to him anytime soon. Wink Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
mrscharms
Lifetime Member

I REALLY LOVE crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 11:49:28 PM »

Good for you, Jack!!  
on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 11:56:08 AM »

Illegal in NJ to sell from boat to public. Gotta be a comm. outlet.

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
DirtyDog

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 07:49:24 AM »

It probably is in MD also. I just wanted to see if any ever skip "the man" to make a few extra buck.

procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 11:28:17 AM »

depends on the demand. if the buyers are really pushing to buy more crabs, then they wont sell them to you. other times, like now for instance, demand goes down, you can buy them off the watermen. sometimes i have all my crabs sold before i catch them. jack, this might be the case with your guy. he might have had orders he couldnt fill. promised crabs to people already, and therefore cant sell you any. dont blame him, at least not until you have more proof he was just being a jerk.  
also, most of the time if you go up to watermen while they are currently crabbing, it is a pain, they need to stop to deal with you. meet them at the dock and ask if they will sell you some. most dont mind you asking.

mikesr

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 02:55:17 PM »

Dirty Dog,
A couple of us sell on the way in here in De.  Usually by the 100.  It is just a matter of timing unless the catch is "sold."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home