July 08, 2020, 07:35:41 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Inches or Better  (Read 49896 times)
D Crabster

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2008, 03:09:16 PM »

To all:

It seems like everyone who has ever caught a blue crab 10 Inches or Better  has not taken a picture.  The more I read about crabs of this size being caught,  the more I think about Big Foot or the Lockness Monster.  Are there no pictures because these crabs don't exist ?

For those who claim to have broken the 10 inch barrier & have no pictural proof I would ask these two questions ?

If you caught a 40lb striper would you take a picture of it ?
If you shot a 10pt buck would take a picture of it ?

I am very eager to hear some anwers to these questions.
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 04:08:48 PM »

Ok I'll bite,
a 40 lb striper would get thrown back and I would hope I could catch one small enough to be fit to eat.

Same reason I don't shoot for horns,killed well better than 100 deer back in my younger days,does and yearlings,never could find a way to tenderize horns so you could eat them.
I am one of those that I know have handled 10 in or better crabs over the years,never even thought about measuring a crab that big until I joined this forum,it was always "yep thats a monster" and throw him in the box,there was a 8 1/4 sally(virgin peeler) caught about 4 years ago 15 miles west in Panacea that made all the local news but so far I havn't found a referance to it any where to post,she would have certainly shed out 10 in.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 04:25:23 PM »

Ok I'll bite,
a 40 lb striper would get thrown back and I would hope I could catch one small enough to be fit to eat.

Same reason I don't shoot for horns,killed well better than 100 deer back in my younger days,does and yearlings,never could find a way to tenderize horns so you could eat them.
I am one of those that I know have handled 10 in or better crabs over the years,never even thought about measuring a crab that big until I joined this forum,it was always "yep thats a monster" and throw him in the box,there was a 8 1/4 sally(virgin peeler) caught about 4 years ago 15 miles west in Panacea that made all the local news but so far I havn't found a referance to it any where to post,she would have certainly shed out 10 in.

Hey Ronnie,
Only recipe I know that is different for a buck vs doe is antler stew.......You use the antler to stir the stew with all the other ingredients are the same......    Shocked laugh laugh laugh

........Cdog

MD / PA Line
JIMMYCRAB

GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »

I caught a 10 incher about7 years ago in the GP. I have a pic of it but not with a ruler. it was only after I ate it that I thought I should have mounted it. My cousin caught one the same week 10 1/4 inches. He did  mount it on a basket lid.Ive since caught 'em over 9" but nothing at 10". Probably never see one again.
Oh well.___JC

Smoked carp tastes just as good as smoked salmon .....when you don't have any smoked salmon.
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:50:58 PM »

saw one mounted at medings seafood rest.hanging on the wall. anyone ever seen it? looked to be 10" plus???

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink

jdroat

8.5" Mumbo thanks to KC and JH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 06:05:39 AM »

Hey D Crabster, is Jimmy Hoffa still at the prison htere? Anyways, saw you were in Lewisburg, just wanted to say  Hi, I'm about 6 miles South of ya. Small world. I'm stilll trying to find the blue crabs in the Susky.
D Crabster

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 09:49:03 AM »

RD

You may be one of the few people that have actually caught a 10" crab.  However, I believe it's human nature when you get a "good one" to see just how good it is (measuring it) & take a picture of it.

If I caught a 40lb striper, I too would release it ... after a picture !

As for the ten point buck, I hunt for meat as well, but all things being equal I'll  shoot a 10 pointer over a doe (assuming one evan has a Doe Permit) or a spike everytime.

I just think it is a little odd for a crab of that size to be caught and not measured or photo'd.  Maybe it's because larger crabs are much more common where you crab.  I crab on the south shore of Long Island & a 8" crab is a trophy, never mind a 10".

I am sure you would agree a fair amount of people do not know how to estimate a crabs size & often add an inch or 2.

Timaeus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 10:06:26 AM »

Where I come from crabbing isn't a recreational activity.

It is something you do for food.

It's not something you take pictures of.

I've caught over 100 10" crab in my life and never thought twice about it until I started hearing the doubts from Maryland and their overfished fishery.  Just because an 8" crab where you come from is big doesn't mean we hold a second fiddle to it in Lake Pontchartrain. 

Louisiana is the world's most fertile blue crab grounds.  No where else in the world can you expect to catch 10 inch plus crabs on a regular basis.  No where else can you expect to catch the number of crabs that you catch in Louisiana.  If Louisianans saw crabbing as a recreational activity, as the folk in Maryland and nearby do, you'd start seeing pictures of 14 inch point to point crabs very soon.

East coast crabbers who have crabbed all their lives and not caught a 10 incher are angry and jealous.
D Crabster

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 10:46:01 AM »

I didn't say a 8" crab was big for you but it is for me.  However, since these 10" crabs are so common can you post a picture ?   Maybe I could see one of the hundred or so that you have caught.
tattoo

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 11:08:32 AM »

I would love to see a picture too,  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

Domino

Incredible Hawk

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 11:34:32 AM »

I've caught over 100 10" crab in my life and never thought twice about it until I started hearing the doubts from Maryland and their overfished fishery. . 

You need a colonic.
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 12:31:34 PM »

I have caught many Rockfish over 40 lbs and crabs back in the 80's over 10" but I rarely have a camera with me.If my wife goes with me which is rare she will bring a camera but she only goes when it's warm and the Rock have migrated out of my area by then.I have never found the need to prove anything to anyone I just don't care what people think about something so trivial as that.Just my opinion and you know what they say about that  Cool
D Crabster

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 12:37:13 PM »

Why do some of you people find it so outrageous when someone asks to see photographic evidence of your catch.   If catching a crab of 10" is no big deal to some of you why even mention you caught one ?  Additionally, if you never measured a crab because they are looked at as more of a food source than  how would you know what a 10" crab looks like.  Afterall, catch a bunch of 5" crabs & a 7" looks like a 10".

By the way I was hiking in the woods yesterday and saw Sasquatch, however I did not take a picture.  Don't worry I've seen him at least 100x before, I'll take a picture for you all next time I see him.
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 12:38:44 PM »

Who finds it outrageous?I just think it's childish.  Wink
D Crabster

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 12:51:51 PM »

MadCrabber, of coarse you are entitled to your opinion !  However, I don't consider it childish to try and verify a potential state/world record.  I think you visit this website for the same reason I do ... you are somewhat fascinated by the blue crab, that being said aren't you curious how big they get, and exactly how big was the biggest ever ?

CHIEF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 01:16:29 PM »

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news/2006/recbluecrab06.htm
D Crabster

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 01:33:49 PM »

laugh 

So according to the article Chief has so graciously supplied the world record blue crab was caught in MD in 1980 and was 9" !

Yeah, those 10" are plentiful !  Maybe somebody fell off there boat & was counting the 100 stars going around there head, the beer must have made them stars look like blue claws.
Timaeus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 02:02:36 PM »

I laugh if anyone honestly believes the world record blue crab is 9". 

I caught half a dozen larger than that this month alone.

Louisiana is the world's most fertile blue crab grounds.  No where else in the world can you expect to catch 10 inch plus crabs on a regular basis.  No where else can you expect to catch the number of crabs that you catch in Louisiana.  If Louisianans saw crabbing as a recreational activity, as the folk in Maryland and nearby do, you'd start seeing pictures of 14 inch point to point crabs very soon.

East coast crabbers who have crabbed all their lives and not caught a 10 incher are angry and jealous.
DOMNIKDYL
Lifetime Member

Tag! your it!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »

Reread the article, it is the Jersey record, not the world record

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.
D Crabster

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »

Oh ...boy...does it ever end Huh

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home