July 03, 2022, 03:16:36 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Illegal Chicken????  (Read 26455 times)
jodon2

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2008, 08:03:32 PM »

Anyone know what all the fuss is about about not using chicken? Have seen signs up all over the place. I though initially it was a ploy by the tackle shops but heard some rumors about pending regulations prohibiting its use due to it passing on salmonella and such to crabs and other species and disrupting the whole ecosystem with something that is not naturally a part of it. Not sure the truth to it but if anyone has any info on it would love to hear the real story.

Bunch of wise crackers here huh?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 08:51:48 PM by jodon2 » Logged
Seanile
In Memoriam 06/2021
Lifetime Member

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 08:24:09 PM »

jodon, welcome to the forum.

A Jersey guy will be better prepared to answer your question, you didn't happen to take picture of the sign by chance?

Yep, it's a a regular Crabbin' Comedy Central around here!  Grin
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 04:05:29 PM by Seanile » Logged

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
jodon2

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 08:30:57 PM »

Thanks for the welcome, been crabbing/fishing since I was a kid. Sorry no pic
oldsunbear

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 08:45:16 PM »

Anyone know what all the fuss is about about not suing chicken? Have seen signs up all over the place. I though initially it was a ploy by the tackle shops but heard some rumors about pending regulations prohibiting its use due to it passing on salmonella and such to crabs and other species and disrupting the whole ecosystem with something that is not naturally a part of it. Not sure the truth to it but if anyone has any info on it would love to hear the real story.

If your going to sue a chicken, I suggest you get a [dang] good lawyer that won't stand for any chickensh*t!
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 08:46:12 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh Shocked

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.

Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 09:06:32 PM »

If your going to sue a chicken, I suggest you get a [dang] good lawyer that won't stand for any chickensh*t!

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 09:08:57 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh :laugh:FUNNEY

aciffer

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 09:10:18 PM »

I guess it's OK for us humans to get sick... as long as the crabs are safe!  Good old government.
oldsunbear

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 09:10:49 PM »

That is some funny sh*t CrabShack!
Pfishingruven

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 09:26:13 PM »

I have not heard anything about this.  The NJ State DEP F&W Website actually lists chicken necks as bait to use in their rabbing section.  If you are referring to some of the private owned docks in the Ocean County Area, that very well could be a ploy, or the owner not wanting to deal with anyone possibly getting sick from raw chicken.  It is their dock, so they can make whatever rules they want!  I, personally, do not use chicken anymore with 2 young children.  1 who crabs and the other one is still just an infant.  Being safer than sorry!  However, I used chicken my entire life up until this summer b/c of the kids.  I have never gotten sick from crabbing with chicken or from eating crabs that eat chicken.

joeycrabs

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 10:04:25 PM »

i heard about this, apparently it kills bait fish
nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 08:30:37 AM »

Ridiculous. People have used it for years. In fact, many people use chicken strips for fluke bait. It doesn't kill any fish. If it did, there would be floaters all over Barneget Bay. Bait fish and others treat chicken at the bottom just like any other dead, or live offerings. Think about a blackfish or striper. Both scarf down blue claws and greenies like mad. Since there is Clostridium Botulinum in the digestive tracts of those crabs, why don't those fish get sick and die? Because they are well adapted to pathogens. The Salmonella associated with chickens doesn't affect them, but does affects humans and ducks. The salt content probably has a lot to do with it as many bacteria will burst in a salt solution. That's why they salt meats and fish. Rumors, rumors, rumors.
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 07:40:47 PM »

Probably a rumor started by those who only sell bunker....Wink

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
jrccrab
Lifetime Member

Crabbing...Oh Yeah

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 07:46:45 PM »

They gotta be pulling your leg (no-pun intended) I'm up on the NJ. Fishing/Crabbing regulations, there has not been any mention of this on the many boards/forums i'm on!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:30:14 PM by jrccrab » Logged
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 08:00:10 PM »

Thats a new one to me . never have heard anything about that.  Wink

Skiff
Lifetime Member

The shanty

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 08:12:51 PM »

One of the guys at work told be about it, He crabs at a fishing pier by /in Long beach State park.  I how it not future

Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems
fishnchip

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 08:13:13 PM »

Turtles have been known to carry the salmonella as well.  It seems as if every time I've gone crabbing, I seen more turtles than crabs (recently)!  I doubt the salmonella issue would be the reason for banning the use of chicken.  What it could be the reason is the wrapper the chicken comes in from the store.  The clear plastic could be mistaken for a jellyfish, the pad in the foam tray could be eaten by fish and turtles causing digestive problems or death of the misfortunate animal, and the foam tray never breaks down (at least in my lifetime).  Bottom line, clean up after yourself and others, and we should be able to continue crabbing with a variety of baits for years to come.  Nothing bothers me more than seeing trash or rotting bait laying around my favorite areas, left by an inconsiderate crabber.  Take the trash home, feed the leftover bait to the crabs, not the shoreline. 

Bill, aka Captain NoCrab
Fish-n-Chip - The Second Batch
'01 Proline 20Walk w/150 Merc.
Found around the Great Egg Bay/Longport/Patcong Creek.
Skiff
Lifetime Member

The shanty

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 08:24:37 PM »

Sorry, It is the seaside Piers Next to Island beach park

Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems
Pfishingruven

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 12:33:49 AM »

i heard about this, apparently it kills bait fish

I searched all of the NJ DEP F&W Websites and did a general search and came up with nothing.  If you have any info you can forward on about it that would be great!!

Thanks!

Turtles have been known to carry the salmonella as well.  It seems as if every time I've gone crabbing, I seen more turtles than crabs (recently)!  I doubt the salmonella issue would be the reason for banning the use of chicken.  What it could be the reason is the wrapper the chicken comes in from the store.  The clear plastic could be mistaken for a jellyfish, the pad in the foam tray could be eaten by fish and turtles causing digestive problems or death of the misfortunate animal, and the foam tray never breaks down (at least in my lifetime).  Bottom line, clean up after yourself and others, and we should be able to continue crabbing with a variety of baits for years to come.  Nothing bothers me more than seeing trash or rotting bait laying around my favorite areas, left by an inconsiderate crabber.  Take the trash home, feed the leftover bait to the crabs, not the shoreline. 

I agree that dirty crabbing and fishing spots is the worst.  Nothing worse than someone who takes from mother nature and then leaves there garbage behind to pollute her.  It is like complaining about something you got for free!  However, I don't think this would be a reason why they would ban certain baits.  I do see it as being a reason why they close crabbing and fishing spots down or charge some crazy beach badge fees to use the areas.

cowboy
nadapesca

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 10:30:28 AM »

Ditto ditto ditto about the pig crabbers. Bring it in, bring it out. On a related subject, there's a fishing spot at the end of a street in Avon on the Shark River, one house down from the USGC Station. We fished there for flounder in the spring and have done so for years. Usually, we get a few fluke trips in but did not do so until last Thursday after an afternoon at Monmouth Park. Drove south to the spot and found a sign, NO FISHING, MUNICIPAL ORDINENCE SUCH&SUCH. This happened between Easter Sunday,  my last trip there, and 8/28/08. Why? TRASH, TRASH, TRASH, and residents who don't like public urination or drinking (duh, what's wrong with that?), as is known to happen there at night. Another nice place lost to the actions of idiots, morons, and general near-do-wells.

What was good about that spot is the hole in front of it. The area is rocky and deep so it's a good fluke and flounder habitat. Only green crabs though.

Now to the turtles. There's a difference between what's carried and what affects you. We all carry staph aureas, e coli, candidas albicans, etc, etc. We don't get sick from any of it unless we are generally unhealthy. A sick turtle might very well succumb to it's own microbial passengers as we do at times (staph, etc.). Again, salmonella affecting a large body of water from a few chicken legs is ridiculous, the salt will wipe it out before it could become an issue. As was mentioned, the signs were probably posted because of idiots who can't clean up after themselves.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home