September 15, 2019, 12:08:47 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catching a Fart in the Wind  (Read 9254 times)
Inlander

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2008, 10:14:39 PM »

OK.  Hello... I am a "Newbie".  No, I have no stupid questions.  I actually read just about everything on the site before posting, so now I know everything there is to know about crabbing (note sarcasm).  It's exactly the same as hunting deer with a bow and arrow.  Just ask me how you can harvest a mature whitetail buck, and hang a big ole' 8 or 10 point trophy on your wall, and I'll show you...Just give me 5 years of your time and that should just about do it. 

I am here because the Blue Crab is the most delicious creature on the planet...with Lobster and a big Ribeye coming in not far behind.  As for Blue Crabs, I can pick 'em clean in a minute, and bust any All-U-Can-Eat Buffet in town.  Of course my wife gets a little embarrassed when the manager inevitably pays a visit to the table to congratulate me for breaking their record.  Of course, I've never received any prize, so I can only assume the visit is a "slow down" tactic.  By the way...I am under 200 pounds and 6 feet tall...so this behavior is restricted to my appetite for Blue Crabs.

My only experience crabbing was with my father in the bays and backwaters of Maryland and Jersey in the mid 1970's.  I was just a young boy, so I remember very little.  What I do remember is the newspaper-covered table with a mountain of Blue Crabs that took hours to eat.  Since my dad's strategy was a few pyramid traps rigged with chicken necks, I have to assume that the plentiful harvest was due more to the greater abundance of Blue Crabs back then, than to his crabbing skills.

All this being said...here comes my first question...(gulp)

Every year I take my wife and 2 young boys to the beach for a little family vacation.  This year we are squeezing in a few days in Ocean City, NJ, starting 9-12-08.  The last few years I've had some luck fishing from the jetties, catching blues, rays, a few sharks and even  mackerel.  So, here's the question:

Should I stick with what I know, and keep it exciting for the kids...or spend the time and money on crabbing gear and excursions to introduce them to something new?  In other words...Is the Ocean City, NJ bridge a complete waste of my time given current conditions and harvests?

If you're gonna' bust my [email protected] least make me laugh.

Thanks...I am glad to be here with the pros.  You're knowledge and expertise is appreciated.

Inlander
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 10:24:56 PM »

if your going too use traps i sugest useing the topless sq. traps they can store more and harder too get out of. im not exacly a 'pro' here too take in the wisdom from around me. and welcome too BCF!

but it will paint an image in my mind of what type of crabbing gear that you are thinking of buying. a custom made chessapeak bay boat, a 100 pots  laugh

or a jon boat with a trotline?

or some more traps?

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple
Inlander

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 10:34:16 PM »

I was considering renting a boat and hitting some backwaters, or just dropping some pyramids and chicken necks off the bridge and letting them sit while I fish.  I guess what I'm getting at is how people are doing in the area.  From what I've been hearing, most people's luck lately has been similar to the title of this post.

I guess I was hoping for a quick idea on an easy access place where I can go with my kids, and not get skunked.  I'd like them to have a memorable experience, rather than an excercise in futility.  If it is no good right now, I would rather bag the idea and make sure they catch some fish in the surf.

Thanks for the info.

Inlander
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:36:50 PM »

If you buy a couple of box traps to start with ,  they are not that all expensive . you can fish and crab from a pier at the same time . then if the kids like going it invest in a few more . nothing ventured nothing gained.  Good luck .  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 10:40:23 PM »

i know allot of people rent boats. i have nothing wrong with this. but if your going too keep going back and back you could buy a cheep boat off creigslist or another place that people sell (nothing new or big) and get a small HP motor for it. if your renting a larger boat then id say too stick with renting.

but i would have too agree test then see if you want too invest into more.

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 10:42:56 PM »

nothing like having your own boat . I just have a 12 ft with a 6Hp motor and it does me just fine.  Wink

125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 10:45:56 PM »

12ft with 4 hp :p

oldsunbear

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 10:46:23 PM »

Well, first
as an amateur physicist,
I must inform you that everything in the universe is either one of two things, either wave or particle.
Then I must ask you, which one do you think a fart is?
I mean just what do you think you are catching when you catch a fart?
And what are you catching it with?
Your hands? Your nose? Your mouth?
Please don't answer.

Now as to your dilema
Assuming that you can in your area of the country, buy a crab pot or two.
Bait em with your kids, all the while telling them of the oral ectasy one has when eating blue crab which you hope to catch in said trap.
and drop where your going to fish during the day.
Then just fish with your kids like normal checking the pots every hour or two.
If you have enough, call it a night,
 if not have a place in mind to let the pots soak all night and take the kids to drop the pots right before bed
Then whatever kids want to come with you ,go check them first thing in the morning.
cook everything for lunch that day.
They might not be overjoyed with how much work it takes to eat a crab, but they will have great memories of catching those crabs.
Once you have them hooked on crab, turn them on to line crabbing.

Then they will growup with an unholy longing to buy a boat and crab every chance they get- hopefully they will meet a mate that feels they same way
if not, hopefully the ex leaves them the boat.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 10:48:11 PM by oldsunbear » Logged
Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 10:47:28 PM »

By all means, TAKE YOUR KIDS CRABBING!!!!!!!!!!  Some of my fondest childhood memories are of going crabbing, not how many we caught, but getting out there and trying.  Kids will love the adventure of a boat ride, and the thrill of pulling up a trap.  They won't mind if it's a keeper or not, as long as something is in there.  My 5 yr. old loves counting the different things we've caught; fish, eels, horseshoe crabs.....  You don't need to invest much to get started: a trap for each child (to avoid fights) a crab net and something to put them in.  Oh yeah, some bait and your camera!  Give it a go, I seriously doubt you'll regret it.  Let us know how you and the boys liked it.  Good Luck

If it weren't for going in circles, I'd get nowhere
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 10:48:39 PM »

Well, first
as an amateur physicist,
I must inform you that everything in the universe is either one of two things, either wave or particle.
Then I must ask you, which one do you think a fart is?
I mean just what do you think you are catching when you catch a fart?
And what are you catching it with?
Your hands? Your nose? Your mouth?
Please don't answer.

Now as to your dilema
Assuming that you can in your area of the country, buy a crab pot or two.
Bait em with your kids, all the while telling them of the oral ectasy one has when eating blue crab which you hope to catch in said trap.
and drop where your going to fish during the day.
Then just fish with your kids like normal checking the pots every hour or two.
If you have enough, call it a night,
 if not have a place in mind to let the pots soak all night and take the kids to drop the pots right before bed
Then whatever kids want to come with you ,go check them first thing in the morning.
cook everything for lunch that day.
They might not be overjoyed with how much work it takes to eat a crab, but they will have great memories of catching those crabs.
Once you have them hooked on crab, turn them on to line crabbing.

Then they will growup with an unholy longing to buy a boat and crab every chance they get- hopefully they will meet a mate that feels they same way
if not, hopefully the ex leaves them the boat.

that was...realy well spoken Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 10:49:54 PM »

Buy traps not Pots unless you want to buy a license too . you need that to drop pots .  Wink

125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 10:52:18 PM »

ya depending on the area if lots of people walk buy you might have people steal or look at. if you use traps it will be a problem laving them with strangers around they might pull them up and lose the crabs.

Inlander

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 10:54:16 PM »

I wasn't aware there were any "amateur physicists" around, but I appreciate the lesson.  I thinks your particle vs. waves argument depends on the character and thickness of the barrier to the surrounding air (trousers vs. commando skirt) and the nature and force of the fart...anything from a light, dry whoosh to a big fat, gotta head home kinda shart.

Is anyone catching any crabs in Ocean City, NJ?

Laughing while I type this...

Thanks,

Inlander
oldsunbear

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 11:01:34 PM »

Nope, there is no ambivalence in the nature of physics, it is either wave or particle.
And we don't taste or smell wave tongue3

my vote is fish & crab
Inlander

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 11:12:08 PM »

Actually, it is both.  That's why I  referred to the relative variables.  Your ears hear the sound wave, and your nose smells the particles.  And of course if you are standing close enough to the subject, and the conditions are right...you may actually feel the wave AND the particles.  I hate to correct a physicist, but this is too funny not to respond.

And thanks for all the suggestions.  I think I will try to take the kids out...If I can talk the wife into it.

Inlander

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »

good luck . have a great time.  Wink

ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 11:15:55 PM »

Are you going over the Commadore Barry Bridge or Walt Wittman on the way to NJ?

Crab on!
Inlander

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 11:19:44 PM »

Good question.  I think it's the Walt Whitman, but I'll have to doublecheck...I'm sure when I tell you I'm staying on 7th street, you'll already know.  It sounds like you might be able to help me.  I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Inlander
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 11:34:45 PM »

When are ya going?

Crab on!
Inlander

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 11:45:57 PM »

I'll be getting in town the morning of Friday, September 12th, and staying for 4 days or so.  So the issue really is one of limited time and ease of operation with the kids.  I don't mind a little work, but would like to show them a good time and stay in the "vacation" mode.

Any ideas, let me know.  It looks like the weather will be cold and cloudy...nice for fishing, anyway.  Was I right about the bridge?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home