February 22, 2018, 05:20:40 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collapsible Trap in VA  (Read 10015 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« on: September 09, 2008, 07:25:40 AM »

I had a discussion, offline, with a member about "What are Collapsible Traps?"  I sent Jack Travelstead a the question and got this back:

Jack, you are correct. Virginia Code makes no reference to collapsible traps for taking crabs. However, we have interpreted the Code to mean “collapsible traps” when it refers to “handlines”.  We do not consider collapsible traps to be crab pots and therefore, a person  is not limited to just two collapsible traps. Crabbers using collapsible traps are still held to the recreational limits on crabs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 1:39 PM
To: Travelstead, Jack (MRC)
Subject: Crab Traps

Dear Jack,

Once again the discussion about what are Collapsible Trap has come up on Bluecrab.info .  Somewhere I read or heard that this subject would have to be settled by legislation but that the VMRC Officer's have been instructed to consider Collapsible Traps the same as handlines.  

One of our member is saying that in a discussion with a VMRC Officer he was told that Collapsible Traps are the same as Commercial Pots.  Which limits the recreational crabber to 2 per person.

Could someone clear this up for us?  I would like to have something that I can quote on the forum.

Thank You

Jack , Global Moderator Bluecrab.info

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:49:37 AM by jack1747 » Logged

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
thecameraguy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 09:40:07 PM »

I have been stopped by the Marine Police twice in the last month. Once on the seaside - Folly Creek, and just this past Friday (6/4/10) in Pungoteague Creek - Bayside. Both times the officer gave the "ok" on my 12"x12"x6" collapsible traps. Foxy Mate brand. I had 10 traps in the boat.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 07:00:47 AM »

Oops, I should have mentioned that Jack Travelstead is the Deputy Commissioner of the VMRC.  Cool

flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 11:20:22 PM »

So can i use unlimited topless traps ? Or is there a limit? I will be heading to Va june 21-28 and plan on doing a lil crabbing while i am there.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 06:23:53 AM »

Yes..... 24/7/365.... Cool

Darrell
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 09:03:22 PM »

Jack 1747 I see that there's no restrictions on collapsible traps. Are these the open tops 12inch by 12 inch on the bottom  ? And no restrictions on handlines, "chicken necks on a string" so do you mean traps tied to a pier or your boat at anchor, as handlines would be. OR can you set open top traps or other collapsible traps with a "bouy" a float. ?

And Does Virginia have a no crabbing day for recs today 2017  still 24/7 ?

Thanks Jack, You have  a lot of crabbing  knowledge. Im not surprised your a global mod. I remember you had a lot of answers for the board when I used to post here 12-14 years back.
Darrell
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 09:18:22 PM »

12x12 on the top of my open tops. 10x10 on the bottom 4 doors that lay flat, 10 inches tall about 1100 cubic inch capacity I think they are Foxy Brand.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 07:59:55 AM »

12x12 on the top of my open tops. 10x10 on the bottom 4 doors that lay flat, 10 inches tall about 1100 cubic inch capacity I think they are Foxy Brand.
Va considers these as hand lines..   You can use as many as you want 24/7/365.  

Folks that have a 5 pot commercial gear license can not fish the pots on Sundays.  That is because commercial "hard" crabbers can not fish on Sundays.  Commercial peeler potters can fish there pots on Sundays and are allow 1 bushel of hard carbs to use as bait. Cool  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home