October 18, 2019, 03:26:28 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 50 gallon aquarium  (Read 31356 times)
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008, 03:17:51 PM »

The first paying job I had, at age 13, was cleaning fish tanks in a tropical fish store.  I worked in TP stores until I was 18. Pete&Lou's, Al&Jerry's, and Hilltop. It is a great hobby.  Right now I have 30 fish tanks piled in the garage since our move to the new house.   My number 1 project for this winter is to build a fish room.  Over the years my focus changed  from raising fish to aquatic plants.  All the tanks have a couple of special fishes but they are there to complement the plants.  I buy all the plants and fish mail order which saves allot.

Always found it interesting  in the stores.   Some folks would come in and buy a starter tank.  They would come back in a week or two and get some fish.  Then you would never see them again.  Ya just knew all the fish died and they gave up.  Then there were the folks that got the starter setup and would come in every weekend to buy another tank. Ya just knew they were hooked.  Grin

wow 30 tanks whats the biggest size G tank you have?

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2008, 05:35:45 PM »

The largest I have is the only one that is setup right now.  It is a 75 Gallon reef tank that I have setup for my Bay collection.  It houses about 6 small blue crabs, lots of mud crabs, mini's, a Hogchoker, 2 small white perch and the latest catch a small Atlantic Croaker. I rotate different fish thru it as they grow to big.  We have had, Spec's, Rockfish, Spot and a few things that I am not sure what they were. Had a small Diamond Back turtle in there but he was to messy. Have tried Eels but they always get out of the tank.  Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2008, 05:48:40 PM »

Nice set up.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2008, 06:54:27 PM »

The first paying job I had, at age 13, was cleaning fish tanks in a tropical fish store.  I worked in TP stores until I was 18. Pete&Lou's, Al&Jerry's, and Hilltop. It is a great hobby.  Right now I have 30 fish tanks piled in the garage since our move to the new house.   My number 1 project for this winter is to build a fish room.  Over the years my focus changed  from raising fish to aquatic plants.  All the tanks have a couple of special fishes but they are there to complement the plants.  I buy all the plants and fish mail order which saves allot.

Always found it interesting  in the stores.   Some folks would come in and buy a starter tank.  They would come back in a week or two and get some fish.  Then you would never see them again.  Ya just knew all the fish died and they gave up.  Then there were the folks that got the starter setup and would come in every weekend to buy another tank. Ya just knew they were hooked.  Grin

Al&Jerry's...  Did they close in the late 60's....  Gas & Go now!     Smiley

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2008, 07:08:43 PM »

They sold the business to a guy who ran it for a few years on Belair rd. Then he moved it to Hillendell Shoping Center. I am racking me head to remember his name.  Embarassed

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2008, 09:01:13 PM »

The largest I have is the only one that is setup right now.  It is a 75 Gallon reef tank that I have setup for my Bay collection.  It houses about 6 small blue crabs, lots of mud crabs, mini's, a Hogchoker, 2 small white perch and the latest catch a small Atlantic Croaker. I rotate different fish thru it as they grow to big.  We have had, Spec's, Rockfish, Spot and a few things that I am not sure what they were. Had a small Diamond Back turtle in there but he was to messy. Have tried Eels but they always get out of the tank.  Grin

i was thinking about a "bay tank" but its bristle water and im only up for fresh water right now. nice job on your tank. do you take the crabs out when they get a certain size?

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

longbeard

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2008, 09:37:04 PM »

we have a gold fish named karen

ethanol [cornwisky] powered johnson 70
CrabmanC27C

"Never seen a blue crab!just the red ones"

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2008, 11:15:27 PM »

I prefer cichlids,Hardy fish that like room temp>no heater required<+they like hard tap water.Very colorful also:however,very agressive.Otherwise if you live buy the sea go marine,If by the river go brackish,If by the rain forest go tropical,if by the sink go cichlid. Wink Smiley Smiley Smiley

"Music is the sigh of the oppressed masses,It is the heart in a heartless world"~Bill Graham~
Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2008, 08:16:18 AM »

Crabman,
Loved your comment  Grin  I assume you mean African Cichlids.  Not a bad choice for a colorfull and interesting tank.  In some ways they are just a step short of marine.  If you go that route Blackfire, Make sure there are lots of rocks and caves for the fish to setup territories.

If it weren't for going in circles, I'd get nowhere
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »

i don't think ill go African right away i do love the colors but they are very costly. and a little more for experienced people.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2008, 03:16:11 PM »

What HuhHuh?? The african chiclids as just as expensive as any pother tropical fish , You better do som reading up on the subject , so you know what you are talking about.  Wink

125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2008, 03:22:14 PM »

What HuhHuh?? The african chiclids as just as expensive as any pother tropical fish , You better do som reading up on the subject , so you know what you are talking about.  Wink

when i said very costly i meant it was costly too me. the area that they live in will take allot of decorating.

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2008, 03:28:02 PM »

not really . you can use rocks . and make caves ans stuff . do some searching on the internet there are many ways to set up an aquarium with out spending money.  Wink

Crab Monger

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2008, 03:45:25 PM »

I can't believe I just read all 3 pages of this  laugh
Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2008, 03:50:56 PM »

I can't believe I just read all 3 pages of this 

Congratulations!  Keep up the good work laugh

125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2008, 04:28:17 PM »

ill probably read it three more times.  laugh going too a tropicle fish store today after my mom gets home from work. id they dont have red belly piranahs then i wont be getting one. im getting a fish from them. dont know the name of the store never have been there.

but ya i need too do more studying on fish. been studying for past week. going too try and read up on different filters and which ones too use.

CrabmanC27C

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2008, 11:31:43 PM »

Crabman,
Loved your comment  Grin  I assume you mean African Cichlids.  Not a bad choice for a colorfull and interesting tank.  In some ways they are just a step short of marine.  If you go that route Blackfire, Make sure there are lots of rocks and caves for the fish to setup territories.
Ty,far from marine.Tap water vs salt mixes.hmm Tap h20 free,marine mix well 10 bucks fore fifty gallons worth.Thermoneter,a good one 20 bux.N/a with cichlid.Hmm marine should mave a wet dry filter,25 - 50 bux if you make your self.M penguin 120 was only 20 bux.Protien skimmer add another 50,unless you build it yourself another 25 caching.No need to protien skim fresh water although you can.My fish cost 5 a piece and alive fore 2 years.A pair of tank raised clown fish cost the same;however,see which one dies first. :)JMO If you go marine go huge,a small set up can die off within hours of a power failure Shocked Shocked Shocked ;)ps im not even going into lights,they just cause algea blooms!!!!

"Music is the sigh of the oppressed masses,It is the heart in a heartless world"~Bill Graham~
Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2008, 08:15:48 AM »

Crabman,
You're right that marine requires a more expensive startup cost.  The comparison I was referring to was that both types of fish like hard, alkaline water and are very colorfull.  Most of the people I know who keep Africans also add salt to their water.  Your setup sounds pretty basic: no heater, or lights?  I guess it all depends on wether you have a "show" tank in a prominent place in your home, or a basic tank for rearing fish, everyone has their own style.  By the way, I have two percula clowns in my tank, the younger of the two I've had for 4 years, the older is closing in on 8.  The youngest fish in my tank is 3 and up until recently, the two oldest were 17.

CrabmanC27C

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2008, 11:09:30 PM »

Crabman,
You're right that marine requires a more expensive startup cost.  The comparison I was referring to was that both types of fish like hard, alkaline water and are very colorfull.  Most of the people I know who keep Africans also add salt to their water.  Your setup sounds pretty basic: no heater, or lights?  I guess it all depends on wether you have a "show" tank in a prominent place in your home, or a basic tank for rearing fish, everyone has their own style.  By the way, I have two percula clowns in my tank, the younger of the two I've had for 4 years, the older is closing in on 8.  The youngest fish in my tank is 3 and up until recently, the two oldest were 17.
Congrates on your clowns living so long,you must take very good care of them.Do you accompany them with there favorite hiding place,the sea anemone?Now where talking lights sunny :sunny:Of course i use light,but not much.I have a littlr trick i use too prevent the dreadful algea.Gl with your hobby,peace CM

CrabmanC27C

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2008, 11:13:15 PM »

ill probably read it three more times.  laugh going too a tropicle fish store today after my mom gets home from work. id they dont have red belly piranahs then i wont be getting one. im getting a fish from them. dont know the name of the store never have been there.

but ya i need too do more studying on fish. been studying for past week. going too try and read up on different filters and which ones too use.
If you go pirana i have a lot of used chicken knecks :laugh:gl

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home