hunting in MD?

Started by 125blackfire, September 19, 2008, 04:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

125blackfire

is there any hunting spots in MD? for deer. i don't know anyone with lots of land. ill be moving too pasdena in 6 days. any help is appreciated.
Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple

frankwyte4

What hits you was not meant to miss you, and what misses you was not meant to hit you

125blackfire

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

CrabDog

keep in mind hunting public land you will have folks sitting right on top of you or folks coming out at sunrise making a bunch of noise messing up your hunt.  Make sure you have plenty of blaze orange on so that folks see ya.  Most people usually end up leasing farms or land.  that way it is private and no one but your group or club on the property, but that is expensive...good luck and be safe..

............Cdog
MD / PA Line

Big Rad

Quote from: CrabDog on September 22, 2008, 12:19:52 PM
keep in mind hunting public land you will have folks sitting right on top of you or folks coming out at sunrise making a bunch of noise messing up your hunt.  Make sure you have plenty of blaze orange on so that folks see ya.  Most people usually end up leasing farms or land.  that way it is private and no one but your group or club on the property, but that is expensive...good luck and be safe..

............Cdog

Orrrrrrrrr...You could learn to bow hunt!  There are very few who hunt the early or very late season.  With the bow you are less restricted in hunt areas too
I hear the sound of one hand clapping....you don't??

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Syoung

Killed plenty of sika on public but only 6 whitetails on Elk Neck State Forrest.

CrabDog

Quote from: Syoung on September 22, 2008, 01:55:45 PM
Killed plenty of sika on public but only 6 whitetails on Elk Neck State Forrest.

yes because most do not hunt that hard for sika deer vs whitetail....Bow hunting is a better option like Big Rad said cause not as many folks bow hunt and there is not as much pressure.  Opeing day of modern season is a little different though...
MD / PA Line

dantheman2929

Try Patuxent state park, last time i was there i shot a nice 9 point and i have taken some smaller buck's and a few doe's from there. I have never been there and not seen anything and there are some verynice buck's there. It has over 6 or 7 thousand acre's to hunt i think. Also you can try Tuckahoe state park it is on the eastern shore, i hunted there last year and shot at a monster doe but come to find i was shooting way to the left ( go figure ) but there are nice Buck's there as well. I worked in that area for about 9 mounth's and watched a few very large buck's walk those field's back in there. Problem is there is only about 1200 acre's and you have to sign in before you go in the park.

dantheman2929

jack1747

Have you taken a "Hunter Safety" course yet?  ???
"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

125blackfire

No, and I haven't hunted in my life yet. I asked my dad about it because I haven't heard of any areas too hunt and he told me there was no public areas in Maryland too hunt so I got confused and came too ask the experts.

deaddeer

its a great sport to get into ive been doing it all my life but now i usally go out alone or with firends because my dad dosent have time to go anymore but he gos every now in then like after school this year me and my friends will problly be going alot

jack1747

Quote from: 125blackfire on September 29, 2008, 02:58:10 PM
No, and I haven't hunted in my life yet. I asked my dad about it because I haven't heard of any areas too hunt and he told me there was no public areas in Maryland too hunt so I got confused and came too ask the experts.
We are not the experts.  We are crabbers.  Much better.   ;)
"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

125blackfire

:'(
its like hearing Barbie isn't a human!
DREAM CRUSHER!

CrabDog

Gotta have hunter safety course and a jr license and be attended with an adult hunter... til of age ( not sure if it is 16-18 )...  check MD DNR site for rules, but until you have hunter safety Game off... if you get caught hunting w/o the safety course or license ... they will take away youhunting rigths til 21 or longer....  most clubs have their hunter safety course in june and again in mid sept...  so you may have missed out for this season...

...........Cdog
MD / PA Line

Crabbyd

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

CrabDog

Quote from: Crabbyd on September 30, 2008, 10:12:00 AM
Hunter Safety Course list

http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/nrp/huntingclass.html

Looks like he may be able to squeeze in hunter safety assuming the few course remaining aren't already booked.  My brother teaches it in Frederick county and his classes book up months in advance.  thanks for posting the list, D.

.......Cdog
MD / PA Line

DipNSip

125Blackfire,
The Stoney creek location is the one closest to you, assuming you already moved into your Pasadena location. The Meyers Station location is down closer to the Crofton area.

deaddeer

its 16 i just turned 16 in august and now i been going out alone ...so you need an adult till you turn 16

CrabDog

Quote from: deaddeer on September 30, 2008, 04:13:05 PM
its 16 i just turned 16 in august and now i been going out alone ...so you need an adult till you turn 16

I thought it was 16 as it is 16 in PA, even though I hunt MD, I don't have to worry about knowing that since I am older than dirt...    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
MD / PA Line