October 15, 2018, 04:15:14 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kayaks and crabbing  (Read 13290 times)
125blackfire

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2008, 09:54:09 PM »

can you crab off a fishing kayak? i know you can catch shark of kayaks so why not crab? I'm asking this because I'm starting too get a little interested in kayaking boat ramp 750feet from my house and I'm 14 so i cant bring a boat there.

PS: what are thoughs wheel things on the bottom of some kayaks called?

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »

There are a few people that do this . can't remember the thred for it . if you do a surch you will find it .  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 10:14:40 PM »

can you crab off a fishing kayak? i know you can catch shark of kayaks so why not crab? I'm asking this because I'm starting too get a little interested in kayaking boat ramp 750feet from my house and I'm 14 so i cant bring a boat there.

PS: what are thoughs wheel things on the bottom of some kayaks called?

WHEELS ??
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 11:51:29 PM »

i thought that there was a more accurate word. thanks ill do the search tomorrow after school...i think I'm getting water fever agen.

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

iamafossil

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 06:50:32 AM »

I have never crab from a Kayak. I bought myself a Kayak thus past June. I plan on trying to crab out of it  starting in about 3 weeks when I get to St Marks, FL. I see several problems with this method of crabbing

I will be limited to the number of traps I can carry and deploy because I only have 2 bungee places on my kayak to attach the things I will need to crab and fish. Like my 5 gallon bucket with lid, ice chest for my lunch and bait (crab and fishing), and my extra tackle for fishing.
My pole will go inside with me. Remember you can not turn around in a kayak once you are out in the open water so you will not be able to load gear inside the back half of your kayak.  Also if you plan to fish buy a metal chain stringer this will allow you to keep the fish yoou catch
jn the water with out having to untie it each  time. And stand the chance of dropping it.
The crabbing bucket: Use a 5 gallon bucket drill about 40 (1/4 inch) holes in the lower 2/3 of the bucket. Then get a fat fun-noodle float and cut it to fits end to end around the bucket. attach it with wire ties to the bucket about 2 inches down from the top edge of the bucket. This will keep the bucket floating. Tie a short rope to the bucket.

Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 08:09:39 AM »

I've been crabbing from my kayak for several years now.  Look for the thread "Crabbing from a Yak".
Sure, you're limited as to what you can bring, but a kayak can get you to places others can't.  Is this your latest interest du jour? Cheesy

If it weren't for going in circles, I'd get nowhere
dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 08:12:41 AM »

I've been crabbing from my kayak for several years now.  Look for the thread "Crabbing from a Yak".
Sure, you're limited as to what you can bring, but a kayak can get you to places others can't.  Is this your latest interest du jour? Cheesy

Glad to see somebody else picked up on that.  Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 08:44:56 AM »

The wheels you are rerfering to I believe is either a kayak cart or trolly. Try using the ring traps as they go fully flat and bait them before you go out.  The bucket on the pool noodle is an awesome idea, I've seen it done in NJ and it worked out very well.

Crab on!
tugcapt

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 09:26:52 AM »

A cajun pirogue would also work just fine.  It has more room for traps and can be powered by a double paddle like a yak.  The double paddle can lay across the beam while pulling the traps. Easy to build, make a school project out of it.

check this one out  http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/

Honorary Chesapeake Spudman
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »

Glad to see somebody else picked up on that.  Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

OMG you guys are too fuinny.  those wheels are called a cart .. my yak has a built in retractable wheel on one end so I just grab the front handle and and the wheel pops out an dI can roll it with ease.  it actually folds in half.. it is the bic yakka... in camo of course can be used as a sneak boat foor hunting too.  rigged up a yak seat and rod holders. it is designed for fishing...pretty cool.. never crabbed from it as I have a 16 ft duck boat which is much more comfortable and roomy.. but some folks on here do crab from yaks... can be done, but I think you would down size and engineer your rig.. go with 10 topless traps in a crate mounted on one end of the yak and then your basket etc on the other end and then I would invest in a paddle leash for sure...  might not catch as much but pretty cool for areas that arent' easily accessible...
Is school out for the day already...? or are you sick again...?

MD / PA Line

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »

A cajun pirogue would also work just fine.  It has more room for traps and can be powered by a double paddle like a yak.  The double paddle can lay across the beam while pulling the traps. Easy to build, make a school project out of it.

check this one out  http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/

I thought a pirogue was some kinda of eastern european dumpling..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes laugh laugh

MD / PA Line
tugcapt

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 06:31:42 PM »

potato dumpling boat, crabs love'm

Honorary Chesapeake Spudman
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 07:30:48 PM »

i thought about the idea of getting a kayak two days ago laugh i don't waste time...because i wont be able too get a boat too the water until I'm 16. i was looking around some kayak forums and i fell in love with kayak trolling and was wondering if it could be done with crabbing...i was looking at kayaks more like this....http://canoekayak.com/kayak-fishing/kayak_fishing_rigging_art2.jpg...i like thoughs style boats i know this i will be saving up for quite a while be for i get onto the water with a kayak.

it probably cant be done but you think you could trotline with a kayak? or would the chain tip the kayak too far on one side.

it looks like we have great crab grounds in front of the Pier i haven't seen anyone crab there yet only on the piers but there are some nice drop offs.

Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 06:32:48 AM »

WHEELS ??

Smart azz  Grin Grin

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 06:36:37 AM »

i thought about the idea of getting a kayak two days ago laugh i don't waste time...because i wont be able too get a boat too the water until I'm 16. i was looking around some kayak forums and i fell in love with kayak trolling and was wondering if it could be done with crabbing...i was looking at kayaks more like this....http://canoekayak.com/kayak-fishing/kayak_fishing_rigging_art2.jpg...i like thoughs style boats i know this i will be saving up for quite a while be for i get onto the water with a kayak.

it probably cant be done but you think you could trotline with a kayak? or would the chain tip the kayak too far on one side.

it looks like we have great crab grounds in front of the Pier i haven't seen anyone crab there yet only on the piers but there are some nice drop offs.

I see you're in Pasadena.  What creek are you on?  I can tell you that there is tremendous crabbing near by at times. The 'kayak' that you are looking at in the above link is really a canoe, and takes more than one person to operate. 

Here's one that might work.  It's relatively inexpensive, and located not too far from your home

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2010452
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:49:37 AM by Mr. Breeze » Logged

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee

125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 06:44:49 AM »

thats the boat ramp i fish and crab off of. people get some there its generally a good place. out in the water though there are some amassing drop offs that i have been itching too crab by. but i have never seen a crab boat in front of us. only a few Jon's fishing and its not in the middle (most birds get there food from the middle then off too the sides here) so it tells me that theres some good fishing too.

Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 08:19:58 AM »

Take a look at Native watercraft, specifically their Ultimate kayaks.  Also take a look at these sites: Kayakfishingstuff.com or paddling.net.  Ill post a photo of my ride if I can find one with it rigged for crabbing.

If it weren't for going in circles, I'd get nowhere
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 03:05:03 PM »

Thanks allot, that would be a big help.

shinyhook

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 11:27:57 PM »

Take a look at the Mad River Adventure 14 canoe, more stable than a kayak.  I've got one and it's easy to handle for one person (sitting in the middle seat), with a lot more space for gear.  I use it for fishing and joy riding, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't make a good platform for crabbing.  Also lower priced than most.  Mine was about $500.
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 11:31:43 PM »

Take a look at the Mad River Adventure 14 canoe, more stable than a kayak.  I've got one and it's easy to handle for one person (sitting in the middle seat), with a lot more space for gear.  I use it for fishing and joy riding, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't make a good platform for crabbing.  Also lower priced than most.  Mine was about $500.

thank you allot i will be looking at that and thats a steal in my book most kayaks i have seen are around $900 new.

does anyone know of a website that sells used kayaks? i know boat.com is a good website that that people sell boats on. creigslist, MD penny saver are some website that i know of but they don't have allot of kayaks.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home