November 16, 2018, 07:21:23 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GPS Coordinates  (Read 2679 times)
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2008, 10:48:51 PM »

Does anyone use a GPS for their crabbing coordinates.   What I do is allow my GPS to track my every move. Once I get home I dump it into the computer and bring it up on my big charts and save them to disk.

I have gone back to EXACLTY the same spot within FEET the next week or so and have done either worse or better - normally worse cause I would not willingly do another bad scene by returning to a bad place.

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 10:53:04 PM »

Does anyone use a GPS for their crabbing coordinates.   What I do is allow my GPS to track my every move. Once I get home I dump it into the computer and bring it up on my big charts and save them to disk.

I have gone back to EXACLTY the same spot within FEET the next week or so and have done either worse or better - normally worse cause I would not willingly do another bad scene by returning to a bad place.

my relative sunny use too be a com crabber until he sold his license and settled down. he would use charts instead of GPS's i don't know if he still has them or not. he lives in christfeild.

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple
crabbyG

don't ask me, i just drive the boat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 08:27:19 PM »

i do the same thing........ i LOVE Mapsource for my Garmin units...... if i find a good spot that is productive i will mark the beginning and the end, then try and run the same trail........ you are right though, sometimes it will vary on the success scale....... i use my depth finder and gps hand-in-hand......
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 10:30:18 PM »

i do the same thing........ i LOVE Mapsource for my Garmin units...... if i find a good spot that is productive i will mark the beginning and the end, then try and run the same trail........ you are right though, sometimes it will vary on the success scale....... i use my depth finder and gps hand-in-hand......

I have a GPSmaps 76 for the trail and water and use a street pilot in the car or truck - if you want some awesome software try this  Coastal Explorer Trial    and also       Chart Navigator    you can download NOAA charts and use them interactively with Garmin Units  I use these exclusively for Marine use. Mainly I use Coastal Explorer. All of them are FREE just use GOOGLE to search them out. Any questions give me a yell........

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
crabbyG

don't ask me, i just drive the boat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 09:35:55 AM »

Awesome Man! i will definetly check them out.... always looking for better and easier ways........ cool... i appreciate the tip...

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 01:02:51 PM »

These are the links to the software I mentioned before - works with many different makes of GPS
Easy GPS allow for file conversion and easy transfers - each does something the other wont do, or does it easier.
Coastal Explorer allow you to view NOAA charts and the full blown version will allow you to place the software in control of auto pilot and GPS systems to navigate your boat.

I always keep my auto pilot off when crabbing

Easy GPS

http://www.easygps.com/download1.asp

Coastal Explorer

http://rosepointnav.com/CoastalExplorer/default.htm   FREE TRAIL

Chart Navigator

http://www.maptechnavigation.com/support/downloads.cfm?CFID=1927434&CFTOKEN=17062404

Download viewer and charts

Link below will allow online viewing of NOAA charts

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/ChartViewer.htm
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:01:32 PM by Dreampixels » Logged

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 04:14:39 PM »

Shocked thanks im downloading them

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:05:11 PM »

I have been using Maptech for years.. It's great.  Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
bluecrab

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 06:15:48 PM »

GPS!!! you ol'timers are funny :-)

I am am one of the most low tech high tech person when it comes to my hobbies.

No fishfinder not GPS here.

Ok ok I have to admit. After buying the boat/gear/maintenance and everything else that came to get me started crabbing this year was just sooo expensive.  I decided to wait for electronics until another year ;-)

Blue

I WILL get my boat out next year!
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 06:27:20 PM »

Ok ok I have to admit. After buying the boat/gear/maintenance and everything else that came to get me started crabbing this year was just sooo expensive.  I decided to wait for electronics until another year ;-)

Blue

I still don't have any I'm old fashioned...until I buy my first kayak it's fishfinder time. laugh
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:03:57 PM by 125blackfire » Logged

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 06:38:14 PM »

Blue
get out where you can't see land.... spin around all day fishing (crabbing)... Or.. get caught in a rolling fog... You will love your GPS.  Wink However, the only thing that might get ya home is dead reckoning... an a compass. when the electric goes off..  Cool

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 07:21:26 PM »

get out where you can't see land.... spin around all day fishing (crabbing)... Or.. get caught in a rolling fog... You will love your GPS.  Wink However, the only thing that might get ya home is dead reckoning... an a compass. when the electric goes off..  Cool

That little guy with the sextant still does it the old way on the Navy ships for the same reason Jack

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
ItalianMule

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 07:23:11 PM »

i still dont have any im old faction...untill i buy my kayak its fish finder time. laugh

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

If you use contractions like Don't and I'm, don't forget the apostrophe. It's also Fashioned not faction. And while I'm trying to help I might as well tell you that Until only has one L.

"I am so smart, I am so smart, S.m.r.t I mean S.m.a.r.t."- Homer J Simpson

"My cat's breath smells like cat food"- Ralph Wiggum
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 07:26:43 PM »

Yep, Plus it is "I". Not i.

ItalianMule

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 08:09:33 AM »

I still don't have any I'm old fation...until I buy my first kayak it's fishfinder time. laugh

I give up.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes I told you it was "fashioned" not "faction" so you change it to "fation". At least faction was a word.

"I am so smart, I am so smart, S.m.r.t I mean S.m.a.r.t."- Homer J Simpson

"My cat's breath smells like cat food"- Ralph Wiggum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home