October 17, 2019, 09:15:16 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cox Creek 10/26  (Read 5032 times)
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2008, 10:52:38 PM »

Went out with Old Grouchy (ummm..... Darling Husband) today. Launched from the Thompson's Creek landing around 11:15 and putted around to Cox Creek and dropped the traps where we usually go. 20 traps - 12 net rings, 7 box traps and 1 topless trap. Ended up at 4pm with just under a bushel.

We wound up moving most of the traps out farther to deeper water (10-12 feet). Overall, did better there. Still, we were maybe 50-75 yards from where we crabbed all summer.

Now, we just have a glorified sardine can powered by a weedeater, so we're real low tech - no depth finders (unless you count the weight on the string with knots every foot that I'm too lazy to get out of the tack box), no temperature readings, none of the fancy stuff. The depths are an educated guesstimate from the play in the lines.

On the second run, I started pulling up a trap and thought I'd bagged another two ton turtle. Nope - two, count em - two, horseshoe crabs. The trap doors were completely open and the blasted things were hanging out three sides. Wished I gotten a picture, but since I'm the trap puller, AND the photographer, I just ran out of hands!

Ran into Italian Mule and chatted with him a bit. Forgot to wish him a Happy Birthday for tomorrow - so IM- have a good one- enjoy the crabs you got today!

The day's catch:

I can only stress on so many things in one day - looks like you're not making the list. Tomorrow isn't looking so hot, either.
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 10:53:40 PM »

More pictures:

Italian Mule

I can only stress on so many things in one day - looks like you're not making the list. Tomorrow isn't looking so hot, either.
crabbing4fun

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 10:55:11 PM »

NICE CATCH. WERE YOU IN A GREEN JON BOAT?
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 10:55:22 PM »

The way the wind was blowing, the best way to pick up the traps meant running toward the pretty sparkling water. Great to look at - hard to see floats in!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 11:03:24 PM by suzyq52 » Logged

suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 10:56:13 PM »

Yep - that was me and the Old Grouch!

crabbing4fun

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 10:58:13 PM »

I WAS THE GUY AT THE RAMP WHEN YOU CAME IN.I THINK YOU AND I WERE THE LAST TO COME IN
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 11:00:42 PM »

Yeah - we swept the lot and turned off the lights before we left!

crabbing4fun

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »

WELL I AM GLAD YOU DID GOOD AND I HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR CATCH.NEXT TIME I SEE YOU I WILL STOP AND SAY HELLO
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:42:23 PM by crabbing4fun » Logged
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 11:15:02 PM »

nice catch. your a turtle magnet.

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 12:19:17 AM »

WTG, nice catch.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

ItalianMule

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 09:22:35 AM »

Very nice to meet you Sue. I'll post my report as soon as I can access my pictures and get a few minutes to do it. What an awesome day on the water.

"I am so smart, I am so smart, S.m.r.t I mean S.m.a.r.t."- Homer J Simpson

"My cat's breath smells like cat food"- Ralph Wiggum
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 11:52:05 AM »

nice catch. your a turtle magnet.

Seems we only catch the odd stuff when it's just me and Old Grouchy, never when the child is with us. She must scare them all away. 

Did have a snake swim straight at us once at the landing. Understand, she's downright petrified of snakes. She'd just gotten in the boat off the bulkhead, was standing on the tiny front deck of the sardine can and looked up and saw the snake. "AH! AH! Snake!" Arms start wheeling, feet dancing, and I'm hanging on for dear life, sure we're going to flip right over before this is over. Snake just calmly swum on by between the boat and the bulkhead and went on about its business. She wasn't too sure about reaching for the traps the rest of the day - kept an eye out for her serpentine nemesis.

Quick grammar lesson 125 Blackfire (and anyone else who needs reminding)

your denotes possession - as in "Is that your crab net?"

you're is a contraction of you are - this denotes state of being - "You're a turtle magnet". If you can use the words "you are" in the sentence to convey your meaning, then you're fine using you're.

OK - this concludes todays visit from the grammar police!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 01:05:00 PM by suzyq52 » Logged

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 12:01:42 PM »

laugh

My Grand Daughter was going around the pier pulling up minnow traps this summer.  High tide.  Her face was about a foot from the water when a BIG Brown Water snake stuck his head up right under her face.  That was the end of trapping minnows that day.  laugh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 12:04:21 PM »

Little fishies - good.

Big scary snake - bad!

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 12:16:35 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 12:31:28 PM »

Seems we only catch the odd stuff when it's just me and Old Grouchy, never when the child is with us. She must scare them all away. 

Did have a snake swim straight at us once at the landing. Understand, she's downright petrified of snakes. She'd just gotten in the boat off the bulkhead, was standing on the tiny front deck of the sardine can and looked up and saw the snake. "AH! AH! Snake!" Arms start wheeling, feet dancing, and I'm hanging on for dear life, sure we're going to flip right over before this is over. Snake just calmly swum on by between the boat and the bulkhead and went on about its business. She wasn't too sure about reaching for the traps the rest of the day - kept an eye out for her serpentine nemesis.

Quick grammer lesson 125 Blackfire (and anyone else who needs reminding)

your denotes possession - as in "Is that your crab net?"

you're is a contraction of you are - this denotes state of being - "You're a turtle magnet". If you can use the words "you are" in the sentence to convey your meaning, then you're fine using you're.

OK - this concludes todays visit from the grammer police!

SuzyQ,

I have special request since you are now the BCA official grammar police.  There is a user on here name 125Blackfire.. can you help him with his posts.. he is in great need.  especially when it comes to grammar and spelling...  thanks in advance... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Undecided laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

MD / PA Line
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 01:04:30 PM »

SuzyQ,

I have special request since you are now the BCA official grammar police.  There is a user on here name 125Blackfire.. can you help him with his posts.. he is in great need.  especially when it comes to grammar and spelling...  thanks in advance... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Undecided laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Lord, don't get me started! Ya'll be in a whole heap of trouble if I did.

Typos are a fact of life, I'm probably more guilty than most on that. My excuse is that back in the dawn of time I went to Catholic school - they taught me Latin, not typing! No - don't ask me to translate anything - it's been 40 years, for heavens sake!

I do, however, make use of the preview function on this board to make sure I didn't get any stray or transposed characters. Yes, sometimes some will slip by me, but I get the vast majority of them. And like most people I have some words that give me trouble - for some reason my feeble brain wants to believe grammar is spelled grammer, and I frequently get that wrong. Spell check is a great tool, but it really doesn't know which witch is which. The point is, I care enough to make sure that it is correct before I hit Post.

Being able to communicate clearly is an essential tool needed in all occupations.  Lowers the "bozo factor".

As to 125Blackfire's lack of spelling and grammar skills - if he's being truthful about his age and educational level, the basics have already been presented to him. He's had enough razzing from the folks here and suggestions on his posts, and he's obviously chosen to ignore them. If he would like some pointers, or suggestions, I'd be happy to help him.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 01:07:27 PM by suzyq52 » Logged

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 01:09:49 PM »

Lord, don't get me started! Ya'll be in a whole heap of trouble if I did.

Typos are a fact of life, I'm probably more guilty than most on that. My excuse is that back in the dawn of time I went to Catholic school - they taught me Latin, not typing! No - don't ask me to translate anything - it's been 40 years, for heavens sake!

Have you ever read the Latin version of    War and Peace  unillustrated?

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »

Have you ever read the Latin version of    War and Peace  unillustrated?

Nope. Passed on the English version, too. Got a headache trying to keep all the characters straight, and gave it up.

Did read Ceasar's Gallic Wars in Latin in high school. Nope - don't remember much - as I recall the gist of it was Romans went, kicked butt, and took over.

Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 01:54:33 PM »

The issues are far, far more severe than misspelling and typos. Roll Eyes  Lets be honest here. Cool

Git 'r dun!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home