February 21, 2018, 02:11:16 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State may require license for all who go crabbing  (Read 22591 times)
badbean

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2008, 12:20:15 PM »

www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bay_environment/bal-md.br.crabs13nov13,0,3297840.story

Permits considered for next year to get better tally of annual catch
By Timothy B. Wheeler

November 13, 2008

Anyone who wants to catch a crab in Maryland from the shore or a pier might have to pay to do so.

The state is considering regulations that would require all recreational crabbers to get licenses next year, according to a spokeswoman for the Department of Natural Resources. The fee may be as low as $2 for casual dockside crabbers who net or trap no more than two dozen crabs in a day.

Olivia Campbell, the DNR spokeswoman, said officials are considering the new rules so they can get a better understanding of how many crabs are caught by recreational crabbers. The state this year curtailed the catch of female crabs among commercial watermen in a bid to rebuild the crab population. But officials say their efforts to protect crabs are hampered by a lack of reliable information about how many are caught by recreational crabbers.

Many recreational crabbers already are required to have a license, but waterfront property owners and those on land catching crabs with dip nets have been exempt. There could be as many as 65,000 crabbers who are now exempt, according to the DNR.

Any move to cover them is likely to be controversial. Del. Anthony J. O'Donnell, a Republican representing Calvert and St. Mary's counties, said the state needs to find another way to track the recreational catch without tacking another fee on residents.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin (attributed)

Lord please help me become the person my dog thinks I am!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 12:24:48 PM »

Interesting , Thanks.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
ravlegend
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:27:51 PM »

$2 is nothing just to register with the state.
I wondered what's the fine would be if caught w/o an license?
murph
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 12:41:40 PM »

$2.00 Still not a bad Deal,on a fun day out Crabbing
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 12:50:03 PM »

www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bay_environment/bal-md.br.crabs13nov13,0,3297840.story

Permits considered for next year to get better tally of annual catch
By Timothy B. Wheeler

November 13, 2008

Anyone who wants to catch a crab in Maryland from the shore or a pier might have to pay to do so.

The state is considering regulations that would require all recreational crabbers to get licenses next year, according to a spokeswoman for the Department of Natural Resources. The fee may be as low as $2 for casual dockside crabbers who net or trap no more than two dozen crabs in a day.

Olivia Campbell, the DNR spokeswoman, said officials are considering the new rules so they can get a better understanding of how many crabs are caught by recreational crabbers. The state this year curtailed the catch of female crabs among commercial watermen in a bid to rebuild the crab population. But officials say their efforts to protect crabs are hampered by a lack of reliable information about how many are caught by recreational crabbers.

Many recreational crabbers already are required to have a license, but waterfront property owners and those on land catching crabs with dip nets have been exempt. There could be as many as 65,000 crabbers who are now exempt, according to the DNR.

Any move to cover them is likely to be controversial. Del. Anthony J. O'Donnell, a Republican representing Calvert and St. Mary's counties, said the state needs to find another way to track the recreational catch without tacking another fee on residents.

65,000 (exempt) + 49,000 (licensed) x 1 bushel/yr.  =  allot of crabs  Undecided

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 12:54:01 PM »

WOW, sure is allot of crabs.

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 01:05:44 PM »

65,000 (exempt) + 49,000 (licensed) x 1 bushel/yr.  =  allot of crabs  Undecided

on that math alone that would be 114,000 crabbers if each caught only 1 bushel .... that would be 114,000 baskets.. say 6 dozen a basket = 6,840,000 crabs....  so that is almost 7 million if each crabber only caught 1 basket all year.  how many basket did you catch and start multiply out the numbers.. kinda staggering the fishery can support the demand on it.......when you look at at that way it is kinda scary....bottom line it is a heck of a lot of crabs. taken every year..

MD / PA Line
ItalianMule

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 01:09:17 PM »

I'd like to hear where they come up with their estimate of 65,000 crabbers. I'm not saying it's right or wrong I'd just like to know how they estimated it.

"I am so smart, I am so smart, S.m.r.t I mean S.m.a.r.t."- Homer J Simpson

"My cat's breath smells like cat food"- Ralph Wiggum
dfran
Supporting Member

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 01:22:23 PM »

on that math alone that would be 114,000 crabbers if each caught only 1 bushel .... that would be 114,000 baskets.. say 6 dozen a basket = 6,840,000 crabs....  so that is almost 7 million if each crabber only caught 1 basket all year.  how many basket did you catch and start multiply out the numbers.. kinda staggering the fishery can support the demand on it.......when you look at at that way it is kinda scary....bottom line it is a heck of a lot of crabs. taken every year..

Hey dog,
You weren't a math teacher right....6 doz(72) per basket, 114,000 baskets...72x114,000=8,208,000 crabs laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
sorry......couldn't pass it up. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
DipNSip

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 01:26:40 PM »

Dog's crabs are so big that he only counts 10 to the dozen.  Shocked Shocked Shocked  laugh laugh laugh

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 01:43:17 PM »

Hey dog,
You weren't a math teacher right....6 doz(72) per basket, 114,000 baskets...72x114,000=8,208,000 crabs laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
sorry......couldn't pass it up. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Actually I was thinking of 5 dozen when I punched it into the calculator = 60 crabs.. that might work.. and
D n S is right I usually don't keep crabs smaller that they usually work out to 5 dozen a basket..

MD / PA Line
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 01:54:31 PM »

on a serious note multiply the 114,000 bu by 40 lb per bu. my math is not good but ,does that = over 45 million lbs? or am i putting somthing in the wrong colum? that would be more than the total comm. catch for 07.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 01:57:53 PM »

4,560,000  Wink

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 02:01:46 PM »

jack i got 5 0s on my calculator
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 02:03:15 PM »

never mind

ItalianMule

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 02:11:07 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh

That reminds me of an email that was going around before the election. It suggested that instead of giving the 200 Billion dollars to the banks they should give split it up among every American of legal voting age. They concluded that everyone in America would get 450 thousand dollars when in actually it would have only been 450 dollars.  laugh laugh laugh laugh 

"I am so smart, I am so smart, S.m.r.t I mean S.m.a.r.t."- Homer J Simpson

"My cat's breath smells like cat food"- Ralph Wiggum
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 03:09:03 PM »

i'll take it, thanks
Potty Mouth
Lifetime Member

Location: Still, somewhere 'tween the steampot and the cooler

Whatever... SSDD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 05:14:13 PM »

Hmmmmmm

"Not all that can be counted, counts. And not all that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 07:22:24 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 07:27:36 PM »

I agree, $2 isn't bad
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 08:26:04 PM by 125blackfire » Logged

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home