April 06, 2020, 11:08:32 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BIG 10" REWARD CONTEST.  (Read 37228 times)
BowMovements

Movn' on uuuup

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 11:34:02 PM »

Yeah, but so far, nobody has been able to seal the deal on hard evidence of a crab that big. I'm optimistic, but you could wait years to engrave that first name. The idea has merit, and Tatoo is more than generous if he decides to be the record keeper. I hope it can be brought to fruition. I'm going to try hard to catch him regardless, and I would certainly imbibe in celebratory spirits with anyone who did.
You got it,  Its all about the hunt!  I've seen a few and eatn a few 10 inch Jumbos, but like I said they were bought not caught.  I'm sure they're out there,  maybe this will help document them a little better. 
oldsunbear

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 11:38:47 PM »

My opinion is if it is a one time award -1st verified over 10"

If it is yearly award - largest over 10" for the calender year starting in Jan- ending Dec.

If nobody gets one 10" or over in calender year, than no prize.
BowMovements

Movn' on uuuup

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 11:47:22 PM »

Theres a possibility of that occurance. In that case the trophy stays with the current holder but no new name is etched for that year.
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 01:25:35 AM »

OSB has definitely come forth with a real solid idea which has spawned many responses of equally good suggestions. Now that the idea has been put before us, how will it be carried out logistically. Should someone or a small group of members volunteer to to handle the logistics of setting up and maintaining this competition or should there be a poll set up to appoint someone or a small group that the membership approves of and trusts to be responsible for maintaining agreeable rules and integrity of this competition.

Now please don't think that I am suggesting the lack of integrity amongst our fellow forum members, but as BowMovements said "but may I say that the pic should be taken live, by the water with proper measurements and a paper for dating.  Reasoning, if the reward is substantial, people may be inclined to purchase a doz or so jumbos."

This is just some thoughts that I've had, after all, organization will be the key to the success of this great idea.

Ron   
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:30:09 AM by lreops » Logged

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 01:34:03 AM »

Look at this.
 http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1141039431/m/2031049431

They had to give a hand sign such as thumbs up or peace sign for the picture along with being on the water with there kayak to prove that they caught it. We could have something like that where you have to have the crab on the boat ALIVE with a peace sign or something to prove that you caught it within that date. Its a suggestion. Works great for them, but the sign would have to be changed everytime you have a contest, no one can know or it ruins the proof that you caught it in that time frame.

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple

tattoo

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 08:52:31 AM »

Lets Just say WHAT IF . there is a tie. HuhHuh  Undecided

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
rivercrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 09:18:08 AM »

Whats the reward..Is commercial crabbers allowed in on this.. I do have one in the freezer verified by sir Johnnie handlines and the King himself that I caught on the Patapsco this fall.. Almost 10 1/2.Covered in barnacles and hair algae. But it wouldnt be fair coming from a commercial crabber..I will get some pics of this..Maybe give it to Johnnie to take to the crab get together next month. I need to get him mounted anyway.. They do exist in MD..
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 09:20:47 AM by rivercrab » Logged
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 09:21:02 AM »

Lets Just say WHAT IF . there is a tie. HuhHuh  Undecided

Rich, the likelihood of a tie is possible, but as of now, we've yet to see or have recorded even one that has been 10" or more. So, possible, yes. Probable, probably not. I don't think a tie will present itself.

But, in all fairness, when the ground rules are established, that probability should be addressed.

Ron

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 09:34:20 AM »

Whats the reward..Is commercial crabbers allowed in on this.. I do have one in the freezer verified by sir Johnnie handlines and the King himself that I caught on the Patapsco this fall.. Almost 10 1/2.Covered in barnacles and hair algae. But it wouldnt be fair coming from a commercial crabber..I will get some pics of this..Maybe give it to Johnnie to take to the crab get together next month. I need to get him mounted anyway.. They do exist in MD..

Oh boy, here's another twist that probably hasn't been thought about or considered. What would be everyone thoughts about the commercials participation, being that they are exposed to them at a much higher ratio than a rec would be, or does it even make a difference as the point of all of this is to establish the existence of and proof of 10" + mumbo(s).

Ron

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
ItalianMule

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 09:39:38 AM »

I don't think anyone doubts the existence of 10" crabs. I certainly don't since I've seen them mounted on walls before. The problem comes when people start shooting their mouth off about catching them and are not willing to share pictures so that we can drool over them.

"I am so smart, I am so smart, S.m.r.t I mean S.m.a.r.t."- Homer J Simpson

"My cat's breath smells like cat food"- Ralph Wiggum

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 09:48:50 AM »

I don't think anyone doubts the existence of 10" crabs. I certainly don't since I've seen them mounted on walls before. The problem comes when people start shooting their mouth off about catching them and are not willing to share pictures so that we can drool over them.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 09:57:01 AM »

Agreed, that's about what I was trying to say. Poor sentence construction on my part (point of all of this is to establish the existence of and proof of 10" + mumbo(s).) Sorry, I'll try to articulate better in the future. Always has been just one of my many flaws.

Ron

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 10:11:33 AM »

If the only reason for the contest is to prove the existance of a 10+" crab than why not just use the one that Rivercrab has that has been verified by Johnnie HL and Rick. He has one, as stated, that he caught in the Patapsco.
seafoodplatter

Hook it, Trap it, Net it, teach kids 2 respect it

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 11:53:59 AM »

I would love to see a 10 incher.  I never measured crab before I found this site, now it is a personal challenged to get one that big. 

Give a man a mess of crabs and you feed him for a day.  Teach a man to crab and he'll sit on the boat and drink beer all day.   Crabbing 24:7

If your beer don't smell like fish you're not doin something right.

Fishin is a privilege not a right!
tattoo

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 11:58:26 AM »

good luck . i hope you do.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 12:14:18 PM »

I, personally, never doubted that 10+" crabs existed. I also believe that Scott caught one in Md. My doubts were with the people (Timaeus and LA10) that made claims of regularly, not occasionally, catching numerous 10" crabs and not being able to substantiate thier claims with an iota of proof. I guess I subscribe to the "put up or shut up" philosophy. Scottie is more than willing to "put up" as stated in his post.
oldsunbear

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 12:19:03 PM »

Well, my reasons for suggesting this are fairly transparent

1. just for fun, Based on that I dont think the stakes shouldn't be too high, or that it should be overly organized or there would probably some state or federal law to comply with since there is a "prize"

2. to give forum "users" and "members" an additional incentive to prove their 10" catch. Sometimes, just a little incentive will compell a blowhard to "put up or shut up".

3. to give the "unbelievers" a venue to provide all that money they were offering to throw at a probably undeserving female coona$$ to prove her catch to someone that is willing to "put up"

4. cant overlook this one -to stir the pot!

As to whether comms should be allowed to submit an entry.

I don't really care, the guy the guy soaking several hundred pots a day obviously has a greater stab at catching a 10"er statistically than the occasional handliner or weekend pot dropper. But as a forum committed to accumulating & dispensing information about Blue Crabs, it would seem counterproductive to deny them entry. It seems to me, that getting some idea of just how many 10"ers are out there would have some value to the overall crabbing community. We might find that 10"+'s are more common than we had previously thought and need to set the benchmark at 11" or hades might freeze over & all the cajuns might suddenly start entering all the 12" er's from Lake Ponchetrain.

My idea is to flush out the biggest Mumbo's and give somebody "legitimate" bragging rights.

madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 12:28:43 PM »

It should be open to everyone in my opinion.I tend to catch bigger crabs on my line and topless traps on average than my com. friends do in their pots.
oldsunbear

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2009, 12:38:32 PM »

I, personally, never doubted that 10+" crabs existed. I also believe that Scott caught one in Md. My doubts were with the people (Timaeus and LA10) that made claims of regularly, not occasionally, catching numerous 10" crabs and not being able to substantiate thier claims with an iota of proof. I guess I subscribe to the "put up or shut up" philosophy. Scottie is more than willing to "put up" as stated in his post.

That being said, he still hasn't to date.
But free passes are usually given to people we like, not people we loathe.

What I have proposed would give him the venue to "put up"
Assuming he verifies it in the manner I have proposed and no one else trumps it with a bigger crab during 2009 he gets $25 of my money. Not much really, but bragging rights are bragging rights!
Now its just my word that I will pay what I have said, but that is part of the essence of my proposal anyway, demonstrating that we are people that will backup what we say.
I find it interesting that no-one else has even offered to match my small reward.
My offer is good for the year of 2009, whoever has the biggest bluecrab over 10" verified by tattoo (he has said he is game to my proposal) will be sent $25 by me on 01/01/2010.
Anyone else willing to offer a reward?
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 12:56:01 PM »

I'm in.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home