October 22, 2018, 08:52:37 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bay-wide Blue Crab Winter Dredge Survey, update 2008  (Read 20734 times)
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 08:41:44 AM »

I don't need any study to tell me the amount of crabs I catch is way down from where it used to be.I think we are all responsible for the problem not just the scientists.
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 08:49:24 AM »

I don't need any study to tell me the amount of crabs I catch is way down from where it used to be.I think we are all responsible for the problem not just the scientists.

I know way your saying MaddCrabber, But your giving the Sate the right to Put Waterman out of work..And it won't be  long until they restrict or stop the recs too..If these biologist can crunch numbers so well, Washington DC  needs them to save our Economy..
madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 08:54:25 AM »

I have not voted for any of this so I fail to see how I have given the state any right to do anything.The state f-s with me in my business every day and nobody cares.Government in MD is out of control period.They don't just pick on watermen trust me.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 10:47:18 AM »

The scientists are putting people out of work with these stupid regulations.  DNR is just blaming commercials because they are scrambling for a quick solution to fix the problem. Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 11:17:02 AM »

I thought all the rules changed not just for com.

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 12:43:26 PM »

Don't you think the government bans on smoking are effecting the tobacco industry and the farmer who grow it. The worst thing our government has done in year is to say I can not allow smoking in my facility because I am open to the public- the public does not have to come to me if they do not want smoking, yet there is a law and why, cause it is supposed to be for the good of all..........

This is just an example to show that the fisherman is not being singled out and yes the gov. does this to all of us everyday maybe not in such a way that is as visible, but they are doing it under many different pretenses.

I just feel common sense has to tell me there is less there then 10 or 15 years ago, just the deterioration of the water quality would condone a decrease of some kind. A novice aquarium owner should be able to agree with that.

I understand it is you livelyhood and one will be very sensitive to any control over that, however on the same token one should be willing to do what is needed to insure that such livelyhood will continue into the future. If it where I I would think I would want to error on the safe side.

Experience is a GREAT thing as I am proud of mine in my job, what I have seen that breaks the rules however those are only the exceptions GREAT ones but still only exceptions as the rules go. I am sure the waterman can speak of things the scientist have never seen nor can explain, but is it the rule or the exception that is the question.

If you take something on the smaller size and model it, a farm pond, is it not possible to fish it empty, is it not possible to turn the water to poison?

You speak of the government and scientist attacking the fisherman is it really an attack, or is it more like that fastest way to seal a leaking container is the seal the large holes first. An example.....

I work in industry, when the company suffers money problems the quickest way for them to recoup money is the lay off employees to stop the large payroll from draining the bank and live off what ever surplus that have stocked. This has happened continually since I have been in the work force.

I do not think you can ever expect them to totally ban the REC crabber as there is far too much draw to the local economies for that to happen and I think the crab are a natural resource which is there for all the share, not just those making the living at catching them.

But again it seems we have slipped into the finger pointing and possibly saying nothing needs to be done.

My original post was asking     WHAT and HOW   trying to avoid    placing FAULT  so we could collectively evalutate  CURE.

I do fully understand the concern of the waterman.  I too am willing to fight for my job, but I am also concerned about 10 years down the road.

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 01:28:07 PM »

Watermen ARE being singled out by DNR.  What new regs have the recs gotten besides not catching females?  Did they ever do that 5 dozen limit?  ha what a joke that is!  In some cases, recs will catch more then a bushel....

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 02:46:09 PM »

bigcry bigcry bigcry bigcry bigcry
Crab A Lot

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 03:38:26 PM »

Watermen ARE being singled out by DNR.  What new regs have the recs gotten besides not catching females?  Did they ever do that 5 dozen limit?  ha what a joke that is!  In some cases, recs will catch more then a bushel....

I don't think the waterman are being singled out,but there should of been a limit ten or fifteen years ago on how many female crabs could be caught buy commercial and recreational crabber,we probably wouldn't have a shortage in the Chesapeake Bay today.

I think everone understands the polution facter,chemicals fertilizers new homes being built around the shore lines
and i know progess is hard to stop when there is money to be made,dredging estimation of crabs i  still feel more damage is being done to plane life and fish and crab habitat  Huh Huh Huh

Chesapeake Bay Crabs are the best!!!!!!!!
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 03:46:31 PM »

I like Gene's idea.. let's drain the bay and count the crabs then fill back up again.. now just gotta figure out how to drain the bay..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Undecided Undecided

MD / PA Line

crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

awww geeeez....another one

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 03:53:22 PM »

S.O.S. ...Every year.  Soon as the winter sets in.... out come the opinions and saviors. Cryin, yellin, pi$$in and moaning. Never fails. No matter who does, says, or suggests...they're wrong !! Recs getting hosed, comms. being shafted....sorta like watching a soap opry...you know, "John's other wife" type of thing. Grin Grin Them what knows how to fix it are on here saying "whats" wrong..them that don't know how to fix it are busy getting grants and degrees....Okay, okay...I did it !! it's my fault!! I broke it, I admit it. No one else to blame Grin No need to continue......... Sad........................

Now what HuhHuh??

"CHESAPEAKE FEVER" catch it and you'll know "WYE"
madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 03:55:49 PM »

S.O.S. ...Every year.  Soon as the winter sets in.... out come the opinions and saviors. Cryin, yellin, pi$$in and moaning. Never fails. No matter who does, says, or suggests...they're wrong !! Recs getting hosed, comms. being shafted....sorta like watching a soap opry...you know, "John's other wife" type of thing. Grin Grin Them what knows how to fix it are on here saying "whats" wrong..them that don't know how to fix it are busy getting grants and degrees....Okay, okay...I did it !! it's my fault!! I broke it, I admit it. No one else to blame Grin No need to continue......... Sad........................

Now what HuhHuh??
I did it too..My god darn carbon footprint is 24.79.You can't have all the blame that's just not fair..na na na na  laugh
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »

What'cha all fail to realise is...that crabs have got a mind of their own. When it comes to the crab, the scientest just can't get it right.  Wink

Crabs have been harvested on a commercial basis for near 200 years.  Jack and I had many of discussions concerning the loss of eel grass. (Right Jack  Wink) #1 reason for the decline in crabs...loss of habitat.  Most of you on here are to young to remember how you would have to pole out 30-50 yards just to start your motor becuase the grass was so thick or how it was possible to dip dozens of soft crabs in the shallows in less than an hour.

Do you really want a guy who taxed the rain in the White House?
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 04:10:52 PM »

I do fully understand the concern of the waterman.  I too am willing to fight for my job, but I am also concerned about 10 years down the road.

I don't know.    There aren't too many people out there who would put "10 years down the road" ahead of "taking care of my loved ones today" in terms of their willingness to make a living.    I can't blame the commercial guys for being pissed off.

9th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 22-23, 2018
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 04:30:58 PM »

I don't know.    There aren't too many people out there who would put "10 years down the road" ahead of "taking care of my loved ones today" in terms of their willingness to make a living.    I can't blame the commercial guys for being pissed off.

NOW theres a guy with a head on his shoulders...Once the Watermen can't make a living, they'll quit. They don't need the state telling em.

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 04:41:43 PM »

NOW theres a guy with a head on his shoulders...Once the Watermen can't make a living, they'll quit. They don't need the state telling em.

and what I find every year is that this topic ends up turning the comm against the recs and vice a versa.  keep in my fella's we all have a stake in this to one degree or another....I think the gov't almost wants to divide and conquer us.  turn us against each other than they can slide in some more rules and regs... meanwhile we are all to busy fighting amongst ourselves......in the end I think we all want what is best for the bay and tributaries and the habitat and the crab..... question is agreeing on that one.....Whether we are trying to make a living at it or wanting to catch a few dozen for a family gathering...we all better realize we all are in this together to some degree.....and need to support crabbers in general.. no disrespect to either side.. just feel like we all need to support each other as fellow crabbers...the gov't will have no problem telling us what we can and can not do.... and oh yeah that will now cost you an extra zillion $$$$$

MD / PA Line
madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 04:56:44 PM »

You should be a politician  laugh
genecrabman

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 04:59:58 PM »

You should be a politician  laugh

Do you think he'd get the Obama voters?
madcrabber1113

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 05:29:40 PM »

Do you think he'd get the Obama voters?
I think he'd get them all  laugh
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 05:33:30 PM »

What'cha all fail to realise is...that crabs have got a mind of their own. When it comes to the crab, the scientest just can't get it right.  Wink

Crabs have been harvested on a commercial basis for near 200 years.  Jack and I had many of discussions concerning the loss of eel grass. (Right Jack  Wink) #1 reason for the decline in crabs...loss of habitat.  Most of you on here are to young to remember how you would have to pole out 30-50 yards just to start your motor becuase the grass was so thick or how it was possible to dip dozens of soft crabs in the shallows in less than an hour.
yup

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home