February 17, 2018, 09:58:39 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 million dollars in help  (Read 4852 times)
crabbing4fun

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2009, 05:58:49 PM »

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/pressrelease2009/012209c.html
lreops
Lifetime Member

Before my Hair Implants

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 06:05:03 PM »

Thank you NOAA  thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 06:17:29 PM »

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 06:22:23 PM »

Better wait till the money's in your hand... Wink
lreops
Lifetime Member

Before my Hair Implants

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 06:29:50 PM »

Better wait till the money's in your hand... Wink

I believe NOAA to be a reputable organization and are true to their word. I'm just a little concerned into whose hands they will put it.

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 06:35:41 PM »

I believe NOAA to be a reputable organization and are true to their word. I'm just a little concerned into whose hands they will put it.

Let see if they will give it to Bernie Madoff to invest for us, then when it is worth billions we can really do something good for the bay.

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 06:50:44 PM »

I'm just a little concerned into whose hands they will put it.

You said it.  Quite a bit of the money is going to oysters, and not crabs.  Read the proposal.  I never understood why you had to be an oysterman to get any of the water work provided by the state this winter, even though the money was to be for crabber assistance.  If you didn't have an oyster dredge to put on your boat, you couldn't work.  Alot of this federal money is destined for restoring oysters, as if they haven't thrown enough money at it already.  I mean, what does scraping clean the oyster bars have to do with crabbing anyway
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 04:40:07 AM by Mr. Breeze » Logged

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
bayou boy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 07:07:28 PM »

NOAA as a reputable organization thats funny right there!!

the skyscrapers look like gravestones from out here
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 07:22:34 PM »

And the Picking Houses will get more than their fair share..Maybe the crabbers will have enought to buy fuel for a couple weeks...
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 07:44:16 AM »

a voluntary reduction of comm. crabbers? sounds like a lic. buyout is coming to md also.

lreops
Lifetime Member

Before my Hair Implants

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 01:39:44 PM »

Off the AP

AP
NOAA OKs $10M for Maryland watermen crab relief
Friday January 23, 8:17 am ET
By Alex Dominguez, Associated Press Writer
Maryland senators say NOAA approves $10 million disaster relief funding for watermen

BALTIMORE (AP) -- The first installment of $10 million in disaster relief for Maryland watermen and others affected by the decline of the Chesapeake Bay's crab fishery has been approved, a spokeswoman for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Thursday.
NOAA sent Maryland a letter this week informing the state that $2.2 million of the $10 million in the three-year relief plan has been approved, NOAA spokeswoman Monica Allen said.

Maryland will receive the remaining installments if it complies with environmental and other provisions in its plan, Allen said.

NOAA announced in November that Maryland and Virginia would each be eligible for $10 million to help those affected by the failure of the Chesapeake Bay's soft shell and peeler blue crab fishery. The two states were required to submit plans outlining how the funds would be used.

The federal agency is working with Virginia on its plan and hopes to "move on that quickly as well," Allen said.

U.S. Sen. Barbara Mikulski, D-Md., said the "funds will help soften the blow of years of shrinking crab harvests and provide opportunities to the watermen who have been affected by it."

Virginia and Maryland asked in May for a disaster declaration for the blue crab fishery and in September NOAA issued a declaration for the soft-shell fishery, saying its harvest value had declined by 41 percent from the late 1990s. While both hard- and soft-shell crabs are harvested, NOAA determined the soft-shell industry had suffered more.

The two states have seen harvests drop precipitously due to overfishing and pollution and in response have cut the female crab harvest more than a third and shortened the season. Virginia has also banned winter crab dredging, which was already banned in Maryland.

Similar disaster declarations have also been made in the past several years for the Chinook salmon fishery in the Pacific Northwest, where a salmon collapse prompted a total harvesting ban. Chesapeake senators argued that the blue crab fishery deserved similar aid.

Allen said a major goal of the plan, in addition to crab restoration, was economic diversification to provide opportunities that will enable watermen to continue to work and invest in coastal communities. Projects funded under the plan include oyster aquaculture, removal of derelict crab pots that can kills crabs that are never harvested, and maritime and heritage tourism training, Allen said.

Sen. Ben Cardin, D-Md., said watermen are in desperate need of the relief, noting the blue crab population has declined 70 percent since the 1990s, affecting the bay and the state's economy.

"This emergency funding will help ensure the survival of Maryland's crabbing industry and will lead to improved management to help rejuvenate the blue crab population," Cardin said.

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
reign16

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 03:22:12 AM »

That is a big cash man, What happen to your 10M Dollars where did it go?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home