April 10, 2021, 08:21:17 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Visiting South Carolina Rules & Regulations, • 2008-2009 •  (Read 8090 times)
DOMNIKDYL
Lifetime Member

Tag! your it!

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2009, 02:50:14 PM »

I will be heading down your way in April, Mt Pleasant to be exact.  I just now got off the phone with SCDNR.  Can you point me to where there is no limit on collapsible traps??  The girl on the phone said pots and traps are considered the same thing, and I could only use 2, any more than 2 and you need to have a commercial saltwater license (at 300 bucks for non residents, plus a 125 geear license for the first 50 pots/traps).

I won't even tell you about the trotline question, it was met with utter silence, followed by a question of why would I want a trot line in saltwater, they're for catfish in fresh water.  Smiley

Just trying to get my gear together, any help or info would be very much appreciated.

PS-I will be getting the 14 day non resident saltwater license, does that cover an individual to crab from a boat (probably a kayak) or is there some other requirement?

Ps =

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 03:40:03 PM »

Kinda like putting the horse before the cart, Question before the statement...  Best I can do Dom...  Wink

dwstan

I Love Crabs!

Re: SCDNR South Carolina Rules & Regulations, • 2008-2009 •
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 02:02:08 AM » Quote Modify Remove Split Topic   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing new, that I can see. Note that there is no limit on collapsible baskets -- the pyramids, topless traps, etc. The 2-pot limit applies to traps/pots that catch the crabs without you jerking on the string.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:43:14 PM by jack1747 » Logged

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
DOMNIKDYL
Lifetime Member

Tag! your it!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 05:07:55 PM »

I looked back thru some of the other posts, and it seems that the no limit on topless traps is inferred thru reading the wording of the actual law.  The law states something along the lines of a pot  is designed to restrict exiting.... (kind of like our own regs) and, since topless do not restrict exiting until you pull them up, they have no limit on the number used.  I'd like to see it in writing, or from an official source.  After talking to MDDNR and SCDNR, I think they are the same people ! Smiley  Couldn't get a clear answer to any questions from either one.

dwstan

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 12:13:45 AM »

SECTION 50-5-15. Definitions.

(38) "Pot" has the same definition as "trap" herein contained.

(57) "Trap" is an enclosed device used for taking fish, constructed to facilitate entry but prohibit or restrict exit of fish and is also called "pot".

So a collapsible basket that only catches crabs when you pull the string is not "an enclosed device," and does not "prohibit or restrict exit." You do that when you pull it up.

Here is a DNR pub with an illustration of the difference between a trap/pot and a collapsible basket:

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/marine/pub/seascience/bluecrabtec.html (UPDATED the link.)

And, yes, I'm inferring here. There's NO mention in the law or regs about collapsible baskets. But right there in an official DNR pub, they are differentiated from pots/traps. ("Four Techniques: 1) Crab pot (trap) 2) Dip net 3) Drop net 4) Collapsible basket")

Now, I don't know what the warden might say, but I think the law is pretty clear. A collapsible basket does not restrict or prevent the exit of crabs, so it doesn't meet the definition of a trap/pot.
got crab

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 07:17:27 PM »

If you drop traps in water with a bouy on it and its more than two and not yellow floats  you can expect to get a ticket.   In sc no one uses a trotline for crabs and many places wont allow a trotline for catfish let alone crabs.     

DOMNIKDYL
Lifetime Member

Tag! your it!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 03:06:09 PM »

Just got off the phone with CPT John “Chuck” Dial in the region IV Charleston office.  He confirmed that there is no limit on collapsible traps or ring nets.  However, he also said that if you attach a float to them, you can only use 2 per person.  If you have them tied off to your vessel, you can have as many in the water as you wish.

DOMNIKDYL
Lifetime Member

Tag! your it!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 03:21:04 PM »

One more update, didn't see got crab's previous post, so I called back to ask about trotlines.  You CANNOT use a trotline as a rec in SC. It is considered commercial gear, and an out of state license starts at 300 bucks.  If you wanted to run upto 50 "pots/traps" (SC calls them the same thing once a float/bouy is added) an out of state license is 425 bucks, any more than 50 costs an extra 5 bucks per trap.

PS-He also said they have seen a large increase in MD/VA commercial crabbers coming down due to no closed season and no limit on commercial licenses, anyone with the cash can get one for as many pots as they can afford.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home