October 16, 2019, 05:45:23 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weather  (Read 2304 times)
Bdc

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2003, 10:01:02 AM »

Well.....
The forecasters gave us a glimmer of hope for a string of decent weather and warmer temps starting friday but guess what.....i wake up this morning and it has all changed. Friday....cloudy and rain 75......Saturday overcast drizzle 74....sunday overcast 75. (this is for the South Jersey/Philly area btw). From Sunday up until lastnight before i went to bed....the forecasts were 82-85 sunshine from friday-monday. How can they be soooo wrong and not see what is coming? I think they do it for ratings. These people are not forecasters...they just report what it's doing outside now, they're nowcasters. Oh yeah, how did you like .25 rain they "forecasted" this morning. Try 1.25 inches and it's not even done raining. They are just really bad. I'm as much a weather nut (particularly winter) as much as a crabbing nut, if you can believe it. That's why this is upsetting to me. I could have told them it was going to rain for the next 3 days just by looking at a map and seeing that the sysytems haven't moved in three days. Slow movers....NOT THAT HARD!! But hey, we're less inclined to question the "experts". so we believe their forecats. Why i am ranting so.....we need to crab. We need to catch those blue claws. We need to know what kind of weather is coming....if it's going to get warmer or rain. We need to know in advance so we can plan our trips. How about the commercial fisherman and crabbers that depend on these forecasts for their livelihood....make plans and buy bait just to see thunder and lighting and terrible conditions develop leterally overnight and out of nowhere. I know this isn't a weather board....but it's all relative to our love for crabbing. They plain old stink right now, and i'll be surprised if the crabbing really picks up before late july....and that's only if we get hot and dry conditions, which doesn't look likely. I understand that we have no control over mother nature. It doesn't change the fact that this is really hurting us this year. It also doesn't change the fact that w/ all the technology that our so-called meteorologists have.....they still provide awful forecasts. Am i alone on this one?
-Bdc

Little Orca
eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 03:13:51 PM »

i hear ya bdc...

one day last week they said we were gonna get an inch of rain and we ended up getting OVER three!!!

i think they have one of those magic 8 balls that they use to decide what to forecast. lol Tongue
bluebaron

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 07:06:22 AM »

i know what you mean. i live on the cape and they have been so wrong it;s silly. this past winter was a joke. they would say we are getting 8-12" of snow and it would only be 1-2". all this spring they have pretty much missed the target also. i have decided not to watch the forecast but watch the radar instead. i make my own forcast.  i wish i could forecast when the crabs will show up on the cape. last summer was great! nothing so far this year. maybe in july i will have that dinner that i have been dreaming of all winter long. fresh blue crab beer and a soft warm breeze.
ReelQuick

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 08:05:05 AM »

It must be the best job in the world to be able to come to work  put on a smile and guess your way through your job.And who cares if your right or wrong you still get a check Grin Iagree with the barron,only trust the radar,then you can make up your own mind.This media lead world we live in makes me sick.

Don`t dry your hand`s on the cat.Seemed like a good idea at the time!
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 09:14:27 AM »

I think we might be better off if they DID use the Magic 8 Ball to do the forcasting.  Got up this morning and the first words I heard on tv were....."we're in the lull between two large masses of rain.  If it's not raining where you are right not it will be soon.  There is danger of flooding conditions."...........SHEEEEEESH!!!!  I almost went back to bed!

I don't trust the forcasters for more than 12 hours these days.  All those satellites, radar, etc and they can't see more than half a day?  

Oh well.  Gotta just hope for the best.
Kodi

swamphox

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 09:32:27 AM »

I don't know anyone that gets more frustrated at the weather guessers than me. I don't put any stock into any weatherman/woman. This link is my most useful tool for the short term. I have heard from the horses mouth(
dc weatherman, Doug Hill) that they really cannot predict with any accuracy what the weather is going to be like more that 72 hours in the future. I don't think they could get it right by looking out the window. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar_tab.html . Weather forcast for today: Increasing variables with occasional weather. Roll Eyes
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 06:01:35 PM »

OUR WEATHER MAN (WAVY TV 10) NEEDS TO MOVE TO AN OFFICE THAT HAS A FILPPIN WINDOW!!!!!!!

THIS GUY IS STILL USING A "WEATHER ROCK"
REMEMBER???  "IF ROCK IS WET ITS RAINING"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home