July 03, 2020, 06:51:16 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: when to start looking for them  (Read 5403 times)
Crabby Crabber

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:08:32 AM »

I have been reading posts for temps the crabs are around. My question is this. Is there a sustainable water temp for the crabs to come back out? I wouldn't think one day of 50 degree water will just pop them out. I plan on being out on opening day. I downloaded a weather chart I got from this site and follow temps. Any of you guys (and gals) have any personal experience\knowledge\advice on this?

If at first you don't succeed, Trot Trot again !
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 08:38:01 AM »

one day of 50 degree weather won't make them come out, the water has got to warm up.  It can be 50 degree air and 35 degree water.  You got pleanty of time, don't worry.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
Crabby Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 09:06:01 PM »

Thank you for your responce. But I was talking about water temp, not air. I probably should have asked what the sustained water temps around a "KAYAK"  needs to be for the crabs to come out to get more responces.  Sad

polarized

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 10:04:25 PM »

I would say the water temp. should be in the 60's before those rascals pop-up !!!  That is for traps, and trotlining !!  2thumbsup 2thumbsup
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 10:05:58 PM by polarized » Logged
Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:37:17 AM »

It varies year to year, as polarized said, the 60's is a good starting point, generally speaking the lower regions of the Chesapeake are the first to warm up.

I suggest that you search previous years' posts in the Crabbing Reports thread for details.

Here's one for starters: http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php/topic,24209.0.html
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 02:39:12 AM by Seanile » Logged

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

DipNSip

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 11:16:30 AM »

Crabbycrabber,
Your water temperatures down there are about 2 to 3 weeks ahead of Maryland waters and the same holds true for plants blooming et cetera. On the Rappahannock river (Just below the Potomac) I have seen crabs crawling around in the shallows at the end of April. As other people have said, I would think if you are using traps you might be able to get a few in the upper 50's but more like the mid sixties for the trotlines. This spring try it out starting with the cooler water and working your way up. Keep a log of attempts, water temps, air temps, depth and spots. Thats half the fun of it. Also, early in the season you can get the methods down, make sure the equipment is in good working order and see some beautiful spring landscape!
Crabby Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 04:26:18 AM »

Thanks for the advice. I have never kept a log before but it sounds like a good thing to start. great link Seanile, thanks

KristieInPA
Lifetime Member

Yes, I would rather be crabbing.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 01:15:29 PM »

We've tried handl lineing off the pier in Crisfield as early as the 2nd weekend of May.....we always caught a couple small ones....but have had to wait for the water to warm up to catch some big ones.

I don't have methods....I start feining for crabbing early February (like now  Undecided ) and try to get out on the pier as soon as I can. (which is usually early May).

Counting down the days until the cold goes away and we can head south and play. Smiley
ItalianMule

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 01:24:18 PM »

My experience from crisfield from 15 years ago is that the crabs are always small down that way. My parents bought an investment property down there on Hooper's Island (I think it's the same area) and we went a couple of times. As I said that's my experience from 15 years ago and it's probably completely wrong.

"I am so smart, I am so smart, S.m.r.t I mean S.m.a.r.t."- Homer J Simpson

"My cat's breath smells like cat food"- Ralph Wiggum
Crab A Lot

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »

I was alway told the crabs start moving when the water temp's reach 55 degrees,that when they come up out of the mud and start swimming around. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Chesapeake Bay Crabs are the best!!!!!!!!

Izzymd

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 04:45:07 PM »

I knew the temp talk was going to start with the warm weather.  Hopefully the rest of the winter will be mild and the talk will get serious.  My guess is the MD crabbing will start in 10 weeks, it won't be anything great but after a long winter local crabs will still taste good.

Izzy
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 05:11:18 PM »

You can start looking for them anytime . but that doesn't mean you are going to catch any .  Shocked Shocked laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home