October 24, 2020, 04:47:28 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fresh Water Crab  (Read 13344 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« on: February 09, 2009, 07:56:04 PM »

I have acclimated this Sally to total freshwater.  She has now survived a month in total well water.  Living in the sump of my 100 Gallon Tank.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:34:12 PM »

Many years ago when I was a teenager I spent 2 or 3 summers fishing a local fresh water farm pond. One of those years we had a really bad drought, I think it is between 1965 and 1968. The pond began to dry up.

One day I noticed a dead fish that was rocking in the water making waves. Once I approached it I thought I saw a Blue Crab swim away from under it. Well my thinking was Blue Crabs need salt  water or brackish water to survive.

A few weeks later once the water had receded to the point of the pond being not much more then a large mud hole I was walking around the pond only to spot a Blue Crab running on the waters edge. I grabbed an old jar someone had toss away and caught the crab. I hurried home with it to so everyone I was not seeing things on my earlier trip. However I do not think to many still believed me.

I am not surprise you could adapt one to all fresh water, what will be insteresting is if she can molt in total fresh water (or has she?).

I would guess reproduction will never happen in fresh water. Of course I reckon that is entirely up to the crab.

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 08:37:21 PM »

I had a Jimmy in fresh water years and years ago... He sloughed out to 7-8 inches before dieing at 3.5 years old.. This girl has not shed in about 4 months but I believe that is a result of lack of enough food. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 08:39:37 PM by jack1747 » Logged

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 08:39:26 PM »

Very nice, The fresh water also makes it allot clearer to see. I hope she does well. Tell us how she tastes. leer

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 08:43:34 PM »

I had a Jimmy in fresh water years and years ago... He sloughed out to 7-8 inches before dieing at 3.5 years old.. This girl has not shed in about 4 months but I believe that is a result of lack of enough food. 

High quality Blood Worms and Brine Shrimp should make her grow, maybe even get to 10" or more...... Shocked Shocked Shocked

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 08:45:59 PM »

Remember this one back in March or April...  That's her....  Smiley

dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 08:47:37 PM »

High quality Blood Worms and Brine Shrimp should make her grow, maybe even get to 10" or more...... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Jack would have to move to La. for it to grow to 10".

Very nice, The fresh water also makes it allot clearer to see. I hope she does well. Tell us how she tastes. leer

Salt water aquarium should be just as clear if it's taken care of properly....no difference.
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 08:56:46 PM »

Jack would have to move to La. for it to grow to 10".

Salt water aquarium should be just as clear if it's taken care of properly....no difference.

Thats true but the upkeep of the aquarium is less, and if it doesn't get done it will stay clearer for a longer amount of time. Unless theres an algae bloom. Jack your going to have to show us whats in thoughs other tanks.

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 08:58:46 PM »

fish

BowMovements

Movn' on uuuup

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 09:06:33 PM »

Wait till you see his Hydroponic set-up in the Back, back room.   LOL

wildturkey101
Lifetime Member

My Crabbing Buddies

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 09:20:57 PM »

Remember this one back in March or April...  That's her....  Smiley
She seems to be just a tad under the legal size limit  Wink
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 09:21:47 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »

She seems to be just a tad under the legal size limit  Wink
Depends on what phase the moons in.  Grin  Now she is totally legal in VA...  Wink

wildturkey101
Lifetime Member

My Crabbing Buddies

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 09:45:13 PM »

Here's a Wye River Jimmy I've kept since Oct, waiting to see him shed soon. He loves that shrimp, ate about 3 pounds so far.

Oh yeah, he ate my pet minnow in January that I had since last July.  Shocked
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 09:47:39 PM by wildturkey101 » Logged
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 09:48:50 PM »

Nice . i have seen him.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 09:52:28 PM »

Here's a Wye River Jimmy I've kept since Oct, waiting to see him shed soon. He loves that shrimp, ate about 3 pounds so far.

Oh yeah, he ate my pet minnow in January that I had since last July.  Shocked

Very nice he surely is big. What size tank do you have? and pardon my asking but are you using netting to keep him from destroying the air filtration system? Keeping crabs as pets are very intriguing.

wildturkey101
Lifetime Member

My Crabbing Buddies

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »

Very nice he surely is big. What size tank do you have? and pardon my asking but are you using netting to keep him from destroying the air filtration system? Keeping crabs as pets are very intriguing.
He's just over 6.75 inches now and he's in a 50 gal tank. He doesn't bother the Bio filter pick up, but he does play with the bubble frog a lot. Shocked
jdroat

8.5" Mumbo thanks to KC and JH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 09:59:06 PM »

BF how c
jdroat

8.5" Mumbo thanks to KC and JH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 10:00:42 PM »

[dang] KEYBOARD... anyways, BF how can you tell its a big crab in that pic? Or are you just trying to kiss [arse]?
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 10:06:35 PM »

[dang] KEYBOARD... anyways, BF how can you tell its a big crab in that pic? Or are you just trying to kiss [arse]?

When crabs mature they start to get aggressive and then they start to destroy things in the tank. Uprooting plants, moving rocks, destroying the piece that lets oxygen into the tank, and killing other life. By big0 I mean mature. At least enough to start becoming aggressive for example your a big boy you can do it. translates into your mature enough to do it. I have done hours of research on keeping blue crabs as pets, along with fish.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home