April 10, 2021, 07:06:01 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need some help with a definition  (Read 6105 times)
Crabby Crabber

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2009, 09:33:35 PM »

I didn't put the whole regulation here. but I don't know what the difference is between a rec trap and a pound/trap. Can anyone clarify this please? It says that one must purchase a license for a pound/trap. I just want to make sure I am legal.

* A recreational crab pot must have at least four unobstructed cull rings, one at least 2
5/16 inches inside diameter, another at least 2 3/16 inches inside diameter located one each in opposite exterior side panels of the upper chamber of the pot, and two at least 2 3/8 inches inside diameter cull rings located one each in opposite exterior side panels of the upper chamber of the pot; except the two 2 3/8 inches diameter ring are not required in pots set on seaside of Accomack & Northampton Counties [4 VAC 20-700-20].

* Each crab pound/trap must have at least four unobstructed cull rings of at least 1 1/2 inch inside diameter, located two each under water in the lower portion of two opposite side panels (perpendicular to the shoreline) of the retention box [4 VAC 20- 460-50].

If at first you don't succeed, Trot Trot again !
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:39:05 PM »

I take a stab at it, I assume the wording is wrong and should read or spell out a difference between commercial pots and rec pots.  IMHO......or maybe left it meaning to be a peeler pot, but with cull rings, I dont know. May want to contact the DNR and get a verbal explaination of the wording before mid March.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 09:25:04 AM »

This is a crab trap/pound

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:26:29 AM »

Jack,do they use that mostly for peelers up there?

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 09:27:12 AM »

This is a Recreational (or Commercial) crab pot

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 09:29:18 AM »

These "traps" are considered handlines in VA (and the square collapsible one also)

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 09:29:47 AM »

Jack,do they use that mostly for peelers up there?
Yes

Crabby Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 09:50:46 AM »

Thank you for the info.

If at first you don't succeed, Trot Trot again !
DipNSip

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 03:31:36 PM »

Definitely the crab pound/trap is for peelers. Very popular on the western shores of the bay in Virginia (Rappahannock/Corrottoman rivers.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home