August 16, 2018, 06:13:28 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing in Puerto Rico  (Read 15127 times)
LoneWolf

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2009, 08:12:51 PM »

Ok now there two types of crabs here that I myself know of, The big blue land crab and the blue crab, Now I know how to catch blue crabs, The same way I used to catch them in long island, BUT I want to try to catch blue LAND crabs, BUT I NEVER have tried NOR do I even know where to look for them, Of course I know they are on land and not in water, BUT where would I go lookin for them and how do I catch them, Someone once told me just go out at night to the mangroves and shine a flash light on the ground and they will come to the light, But it cant be that [dang] easy, Can it?? PLEASE ANYONE that lives here in puerto rico PLEASE HELP ME, I live in Quebradillas,PR I would like to know how and where if theres anywhereclose to me, Thank you VERY much and love this site so much,
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:42:53 PM »

Visiting the blue light district in San Juan will catch you all the "land" crabs you can bear.

;-)

I have a friend down there.    I will aks him if he knows anything about your land crabs.

9th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 22-23, 2018
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
LoneWolf

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:32:39 PM »

that would be great, I live in quebradillas,PR thats on the west side of the island way far from san juan,pr
threesuns1
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 02:42:09 PM »

It's been a while but let me give this a try.

First you'll need a dark colored pillow case, a flash light and a friend.  Find a land crab trail and have your friend straddle the trail with the pillow case between his/her legs touching the ground.  Turn the flash light on and place it in the pillow case facing away from the opening, towards the back of the pillow case. He must be very quiet and still.

Next find the other end of the crab trail (it could be as far as a mile away) and begin beating the bush along the trail as you head back in his direction yelling "LAND CRAB, LAND CRAB". The land crabs will be herded into the pillow case, when it is about half full have your partner swoop it up twisting the end closed.  Check local regs on the size of the pillow case allowed, I understand some of the orange ones may be slightly over size.

Good Luck! Grin Grin Grin Grin
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 05:29:16 PM »

Sounds an awful lot like a good old fashioned snipe hunt!!  Cool

LoneWolf

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 04:08:06 AM »

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! Could SOMEONE ENYONE!! PLEASE let me know of Where would be the best place to go blue land crab hunting here in PR, It would be better if it was in or around Quebradillas,PR 00678 which is where I live, Pls if u could get back to me ASAP since I really want to do this night time blue land crab trapping tomorrow, Thanks VERY much for your time,
LoneWolf

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 04:14:54 AM »

Aslo I wanted to say  i have heard ppl that say i should put them on wire for no less then a week and feed them good food to clean them out, Is that true or false or can i just eat them as soon as i get themcook??
Big Rad

Chase Happiness because life is short

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 08:30:32 AM »

This might help Grin Grin Grin

http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Land%20Crab.htm

I hear the sound of one hand clapping....you don't??
jefftoleft
In Memoriam 02/2017
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 04:26:18 PM »

Well sounds pretty easy to me find some flats by a mangrove swamp get yourself a good pair of welding gloves a maglight and something to put them in go out on a newmoon grab'um and growl  Shocked laugh Shocked

You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM
LoneWolf

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 01:16:19 AM »

The problem Im having is finding the mangroves that have the crabs around, If ANYONE knows of some good places in Puerto rico to catch blue land crabs PLEASE let me know, I live in Quebradillas,PR which is on the west side of the island, If you tell me of a good place, Ill even catch a dozen or more for you also, Thanks again

jefftoleft
In Memoriam 02/2017
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 09:40:01 AM »

Maybe you should have taken it a little easy on the Heiniken on the plane ride from New York good luck I'll wait another month or so and have some good crab  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM
Lemonade

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 11:07:32 PM »

The land crabs are called Jueyes ....  And they can be found by houses near the rivers. You can put traps under the houses or look for holes, they look like rat holes of sort.. Sometimes u can fill the hole with water so they come out, they also sell them around beaches, well I'm from the east side so luquillo beach area has ppl selling them.. And yes. Feeding them corn and coconut will clean them and they get fattened and ready for ur consumption ..

Home it helps for the future

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home