October 23, 2018, 07:59:49 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 rec. crab regs. for md.  (Read 29627 times)
rdbeard

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »

just to let everyone know there will be no changes to crab regs for rec. crabbers for 2009 season. i guess dnr just don't want to know how many rec. crabbers md has.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 09:31:58 AM »

Then the WMA would have some fire power.....can't have that.   Wink

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 10:42:49 AM »

MD had 49,956 licensed recreational crabbers for 2007.  Still do not know the total number that would include shorefront property owners nor those who handline.  Also does not include coastal crabbers who are not required to be licensed.

Do you really want a guy who taxed the rain in the White House?
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 11:18:09 AM »

MD had 49,956 licensed recreational crabbers for 2007.  Still do not know the total number that would include shorefront property owners nor those who handline.  Also does not include coastal crabbers who are not required to be licensed.

or those that don't "need" a lic and can still keep 4 doz each.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 12:12:58 PM »

If people are really concerned about restoring the crab population, then there should be MANDATORY reporting for ALL!

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 12:32:35 PM »

If people are really concerned about restoring the crab population, then there should be MANDATORY reporting for ALL!

Slayer,

I hear ya.  Buy my rec licnese every year... I would have no problem with doing that.  Don't think most would.  I know the one's who would most likely gripe at doing that are probably the ones that are being bandits anyway.....

.......Cdog

MD / PA Line
DOMNIKDYL
Lifetime Member

Tag! your it!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 12:50:43 PM »

I have no problem reporting my catch, and I'd like to believe most recs do not either.  But, the problem is that rules are for the honest people to begin with.  If an individual was going to break the law in the first place, how hard would it be to just not report?

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 01:12:20 PM »

that is a good point. how do they enforce reporting... let alone accurate reporting.... let alone getting everyon on board to get the license or register... I think folks that own water front are not going to be to worried about registering ...... or folks who handline or use 10 or less traps......DNR is going to need a lot of extra man power to enforce it so I would expect to be stopped a lot more often this year....it is going to be interesting if this fishery can truly be saved and done equatably.....

MD / PA Line
Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »

that is a good point. how do they enforce reporting...

Simple...by not renewing a license the following year.  That's how it works for the commercial sector.

DOMNIKDYL
Lifetime Member

Tag! your it!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 01:20:23 PM »

Really?  Then why were there approx 900 comm licenses that have no reported catch for the last 4 years or more?

Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 01:29:45 PM »

Really?  Then why were there approx 900 comm licenses that have no reported catch for the last 4 years or more?

Because they submitted a report...just not with any harvest.  One still has to submit a report wether they caught or not.

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 01:36:19 PM »

Simple...by not renewing a license the following year.  That's how it works for the commercial sector.

I hear ya.. but don't think there is enough resources to chase down everyone out there crabbing..... Comm are fewer and easier to target and monitor in my opinion..... tend to crab same areas and a lot more often so you are out there most everyday.. where recs might be out once a week if that...sand then may crab the wye one day and next week another river 50 or 100 miles away....so less chance to be stopped etc....not saying I would do it, but some will ignore the rules for sure...That and if DNR is going to be vigilantly enforcing this. and I believe they will I guess we can all expect to be stopped and checked about everytime we go crab then....which I don't mind , but it will become a nuisance and cost time on the water...  but nothing we can do about it....

MD / PA Line
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 01:47:25 PM »

DNR has already told us they couldn't begin to process 50,000 recreational crabbing reports.  They are understaffed and almost bankrupt. They can't even handle the commerical reports.  It all paper, and they've got stacks and stacks of reports sitting around their office.  That is why sometimes you'll get a card in the mail that says "your report is late", when in fact you sent it in and they lost it.

I believe their attempt at online reporting may be the only thing we see from them in terms of counting the recreational take.

Git 'r dun!
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 01:49:35 PM »

Bingo.  If you're not responsible enough to legally report your catch, than you're not responsible enough to harvest a resource.

Git 'r dun!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 01:52:11 PM »

Bingo.  If you're not responsible enough to legally report your catch, than you're not responsible enough to harvest a resource.
Wink thumbsup

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 02:03:35 PM »

DNR has already told us they couldn't begin to process 50,000 recreational crabbing reports.  They are understaffed and almost bankrupt. They can't even handle the commerical reports.  It all paper, and they've got stacks and stacks of reports sitting around their office.  That is why sometimes you'll get a card in the mail that says "your report is late", when in fact you sent it in and they lost it.

I believe their attempt at online reporting may be the only thing we see from them in terms of counting the recreational take.

Poor excuse.  Here is a simplified way that DNR could accomplish this.

Have the recreational sector submit an annual report.  Even if it took 5 minutes per report to data enter that would be 35 days for 3 individauls that could be brought in on a temporary basis.  This could be done by the end of February to coincide with the WDR.

I throw out a challenge to MD DNR.  If you really want to save the blue crab as you insist that you do, then require mandatory reporting from ALL.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 02:34:57 PM »

Something don't add up..  If 50,000 people got a license, then 50,000 licenses were processed by someone.  Why can't that same person that is processing the license fill out one more field. "Line Number XYZ ----- How many crab did you harvest last year?"  10....  Push Enter..  Done....  Roll Eyes   Huh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 02:44:33 PM »

Something don't add up..  If 50,000 people got a license, then 50,000 licenses were processed by someone.  Why can't that same person that is processing the license fill out one more field. "Line Number XYZ ----- How many crab did you harvest last year?"  10....  Push Enter..  Done....  Roll Eyes   Huh

Jack, two words.. To Simple.  Grin 

That would be a great idea;however, the data would be to late.  Also it would be to easy for someone to be able to renew their license had they not filed the paper report or submit online.

DOMNIKDYL
Lifetime Member

Tag! your it!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 03:24:59 PM »

Because they submitted a report...just not with any harvest.  One still has to submit a report wether they caught or not.

But, this goes back to what I said before, only the honest rec will report correctly.  Those that choose to overharvest, sell their catch or whatever will undoubtedly continue to due so and not report, or give false info.  That said, I hope the majority of recs fall on the honest side and it would give at least some indication of harvest.  But for those inclined to break the law, it would be too easy to skirt the reporting system, and there would be no way of ever knowing the true harvest numbers.

Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 03:34:21 PM »

There will always be some who are dishonest, but I would like to think that majority (and especially those who care about the resource) would report honestly.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home