November 12, 2019, 02:47:49 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Agenda VMRC CRAB MANAGEMENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE 3/17/09  (Read 4388 times)
Tom Powers

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2009, 09:50:37 AM »

VIRGINIA MARINE RESOURCES COMMISSION
CRAB MANAGEMENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE
2600 WASHINGTON AVENUE, NEWPORT NEWS, VA
VMRC COMMISSION ROOM, 4TH FLOOR

TUESDAY, MARCH 17, 2009 - 6:00 P.M.

AGENDA

I. Introductions/Announcements

II. Approval of minutes from the February 23, 2009 meeting

III. Old Business

a. Continued discussion of management alternatives
i. bushel limits
ii. pot reductions
iii. closed seasons
. iv. Agent culpability
v. crab sanctuary closure May 1 September 15
vi. measures of percent reduction in harvest - 2009

b. Winter Crab Dredge Survey How it works Rom Lipcius

c. Diamondback Terrapin Bycatch

d. Crab Disaster Relief status update

IV. New Business

V. Next Meeting

VI. Adjournment
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:42:49 PM by Tom Powers » Logged
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 07:40:03 PM »

AGENDA

III. Old Business

i. bushel limits
ii. pot reductions
iii. closed seasons

Tom,  What is the rationale behind instituting more restictions this year?  It seems that it might be wise to give last years restrictions a chance to work?

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 08:49:54 PM »

Two things. 

First no further restictions will be ncessary if the dredge survey shows improvements in the stocks.  The problem is that by the time the results of the study are done the season will be almost ready to begin.  IF there are problems then the options will have been discussed.

Also other options are being discussed as a potential replacement of other restrictions,   Take something off the books put something else back on.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 08:54:21 PM »

Two things. 

First no further restictions will be ncessary if the dredge survey shows improvements in the stocks.  The problem is that by the time the results of the study are done the season will be almost ready to begin.  IF there are problems then the options will have been discussed.

Also other options are being discussed as a potential replacement of other restrictions,   Take something off the books put something else back on.

Like the 5 pot license....... Or cut it at the same levels that other pot license were cut...

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 04:48:22 AM »

Two things. 

First no further restrictions will be necessary if the dredge survey shows improvements in the stocks.  The problem is that by the time the results of the study are done the season will be almost ready to begin.  IF there are problems then the options will have been discussed.

Tom, the effects of last years restrictions won't be fully realized until next winter's survey.  Unless they are going to call an increase in number of  mature females a success,  the dredge survey will not be indicative of the restrictions this winter.   ie. overall crab population will not have increased dramatically, because most of the females saved with last years restrictions will not have set sponges yet.

are they thinking of allowing the winter dredge fishery again?

rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 12:01:45 PM »

and here in md they haven't lifted any restricions that did'nt work, they just add more.
Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 04:07:08 PM »

The metric is the number of mature females, or is it female crabs in general as measured with the winter dredge survey . . . it is one or the other.
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 06:46:52 AM »

Well, the number of mature females would be indicative of the relative success or failure of last years restrictions, but I'm sure there will be those who will demand that the entire population see an increase this year, even though that isn't feasible.

What about the winter dredge fishery?  Are they considering re-opening that, or is it gone permanently?

Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 12:58:03 PM »

The winter dredge fishery was discussed at the last meeting.  What was said was something like The laws are still in state code that enables the Commission to permit the fishery.  However, it won't be considered until after the stocks of female crabs have recovered.  I can't remember if he said for recovered for 3 years or just recovered.  The law that put the 827 then about 750 (now) licenses on the shelf has a "recovered for 3 years" clause.

When pushed with a question of something like "Does this mean that you are on the record of supporting reopening the dredge fishery?" Deputy Commissioner Travelstead replied in the negative (i.e. no commitment one way or the other).   They were really trying to push him into saying then and there that he supported reopening the fishery.

I can't see it reopening in the interim, unless it is forced by the courts.  There is a law suit on the matter that is winding its way through the system.

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 02:03:09 PM »

Tom,at the very least when the fishery has recovered to who evers satisfaction these dredge fishermen should get a lifetime,nontransferable license to finish their lives out doing what they have always done most of their life.
 There were not but a handfull of boats left active,keep em working and not putting pressure on another fishery.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 03:31:58 PM »

AGENDA

III. Old Business

i. bushel limits
ii. pot reductions
iii. closed seasons
. iv. Agent culpability
v. crab sanctuary closure May 1 September 15
vi. measures of percent reduction in harvest - 2009

b. Winter Crab Dredge Survey How it works Rom Lipcius

c. Diamondback Terrapin Bycatch

d. Crab Disaster Relief status update

IV. New Business

Give Jack his 5 pot license! thumbsup
V. Next Meeting

VI. Adjournment

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home