October 22, 2018, 05:48:41 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 rec. crab regs. for md.  (Read 29625 times)
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 04:34:47 PM »

Here is another thought.  When one gets their hunting license.. when you go the following year to get that years license.. you have to fill out a HIP permit... Harvest Information Program.... you then fill out how many snipes, ( yes they are a real bird), rails, coots, geese, ducks, doves etc all migratory birds.  Then they will let then apply for your current years license.  So your are reporting the previous years harvest.  I think that would be the only feasible way they can rol this out w/o increased resources...
On your license it is marked as HIP permit completed.. so the DNR knows you compelted the reporting the previous years harvest and it is on the license holder to keep track of the number so f birds harvested.  Only problem with doing this way is you might not be quite as accurate at 6 months or more may have passed before you go for the following year's license.  But they will not issue a currnet license til that is done.  Secondly whomever the licenser is does the work and types it ino the licensing computer system.
So whetehr you buy your license at Wlamart, Dicks, a sporitng good store, fishing shop etc.. THEY would collect the data at the time of obtaining the next year's license and provide it to the DNR.   I guess it would make sense then to keep a log during the season so that you have a record of your catch.  Whether you mail it in or provide it at time of license renewal..  I think this may be the way they may do it moving forward as they are already doing something very similiar already for waterfowl info.  And Unlike PA , MD has their licensing computerized and DNR covers fish, game and boating.. whereas PA has fish and boat commision and then the game commision.. they are two seperate entities and they had issues as to who is going to pay for the computerizing of licenses......  so I think this would be the easiest way for MD DNR to capture the data.

MD / PA Line
DOMNIKDYL
Lifetime Member

Tag! your it!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 05:13:04 PM »

Like I said earlier, and Crabslayer reiterated, the majority (hopefully) will report acurrate numbers.  But, the illegal crabbers are never going to report(or if they do, not accurately) and are more than likely the bulk of the problem.  I suppose we would get some useful info from it, but we will never know the true harvest.  Noone is going to report 470 bushels harvested for rec use (that's 2 per day every day from April 1 thru late Nov), it would be self incriminating.  They would either lie or not report at all.  I am all for reporting and have done so the last 2 years, but I just cannot fathom how making it mandatory would change anything, it's just too easy to not do it.  Look at all the regs we have now that are not enforceable, this would be just one more.

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 06:38:28 PM »

It's much easier than all that...

Have the state hire some of Potty Mouth's closest friends kiss2

Put 1 or 2 at each ramp, make it mandatory that each crabber check their catch with the attendant gorgeous deal2 on a daily basis, and you'll have all the catch info you need Grin

Git 'r dun!
beachy210

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 09:04:42 AM »

Wink thumbsup
Hi Tat!   I agree 100%.  I reported the entire season last year...made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside Smiley

Every fulfilling thing in life,is there in front of you, in the simple things in life.  Enjoy and Embrace them
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2009, 09:25:57 AM »

When you buy a recreational crabbing license, it comes with a number that identifies you as that particular crabbing, not unlike a hunting license.

Develop an automated phone in system lke the deer and turkey harvest system currently used now.

If you plan to crab any day, you must call in the day before and get a confirmation number (authorization to crab that day), and must be with you to verify your allowed to crab that day.
You will then have 24hrs to report your catch back to the system, using your confirmation number and your license number. If you do not, your penalized.

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 08:35:54 PM »

When you buy a recreational crabbing license, it comes with a number that identifies you as that particular crabbing, not unlike a hunting license.

Develop an automated phone in system lke the deer and turkey harvest system currently used now.

If you plan to crab any day, you must call in the day before and get a confirmation number (authorization to crab that day), and must be with you to verify your allowed to crab that day.
You will then have 24hrs to report your catch back to the system, using your confirmation number and your license number. If you do not, your penalized.

Doesn't have to be that rigid.  I don't want to see the FUN taken out of it.  Especially for a family. 

Do you really want a guy who taxed the rain in the White House?
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 08:36:36 PM »

Doesn't have to be that rigid.  I don't want to see the FUN taken out of it.  Especially for a family. 

10-4 back door!

We are constantly feeding Ideas to the Govt as what we will find acceptable all the while we complain of too much Govt..........we are the enemy........all they need to do is listen!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 08:39:24 PM by Dreampixels » Logged

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

— Captain A. G. Lamplugh
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 08:41:54 PM »

I dont see how its really that rigid. No one is saying you cant crab, just have to have a confirmation number, the 24hr reporting means that the information will be the most honest, and available at any time should Biologists want to see whats going on. However, if you dont report than you could lose your privledge to crab. Im sure you make 100 phone calls a day, this is no difference.
jmo

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 08:50:02 PM »

I dont see how its really that rigid. No one is saying you cant crab, just have to have a confirmation number, the 24hr reporting means that the information will be the most honest, and available at any time should Biologists want to see whats going on. However, if you dont report than you could lose your privledge to crab. Im sure you make 100 phone calls a day, this is no difference.
jmo

I am not saying rigid, but I have a lot of confusion as to where people stand, there are some that state anything from the Govt is evil, a waste of money, they do not believe them. If some body of people say the bay is failing, someone will say that is hog wash and the bay is fine, if another group says the bay is fine then those people will discount that saying the bay is failing.

I vote to put all the experts on here in charge for 5 years, after that I am sure all will be fine................sorry I m in a rare mood.........and can not contain myself at the moment..........
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 08:51:40 PM by Dreampixels » Logged

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

— Captain A. G. Lamplugh
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2009, 08:59:10 PM »

Well, the first place to start is with real numbers.....and if anyone here has any other good ideas of obtaining "real" numbers, besides a few volunteers to stand at a few of thousands of ramps, for a few days to basically guess about how many crabs we have.....I'm listening.

in·teg·ri·ty   

Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2009, 09:07:47 PM »

Well, the first place to start is with real numbers.....and if anyone here has any other good ideas of obtaining "real" numbers, besides a few volunteers to stand at a few of thousands of ramps, for a few days to basically guess about how many crabs we have.....I'm listening.

I agree, it will take real numbers to face the problem and come up with a solution, however even with down right REAL numbers there will be those whom do not believe them and will do what ever to resist change.

I am willing to accept the numbers, I am willing to accept the CBF finding because I know I myself am meek and the problem is far beyond me, but what about those who do not even believe there is a problem. An example, one farmer prays for rain, 5 miles away another farmer prays for a dry spell...................how do it work?.............this is what leadership is up against!

As a leader you have 2 choices................

Find out which direction the people wish to go...............jump ahead of them and then BS them into thinking you led them, or figure out the best plan of action for everyone and try to lead the flock in that direction...........

If you take first choice you reign in office shall be long and most likely profitable.

The second choice will leave you dismayed, broke and out of a job.....so if you were an elected official what would you do?  Would you lay yourself off in you present job?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:14:36 PM by Dreampixels » Logged

— Captain A. G. Lamplugh
tugcapt

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2009, 11:00:17 PM »

Did anyone read this http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/top/2009/03/20-27/State-gives-recreational-crabbers-a-break.html

Now they are patting each other on the back.

It even say's the rec crab boat license covers everyone onboard. laugh laugh
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 11:02:20 PM by tugcapt » Logged

Honorary Chesapeake Spudman
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2009, 11:06:15 PM »

Poor people can't afford a free license?  Or a $2 license? Huh  Another one of the Teflon Leprechaun's brilliant ideas.  He wants to keep things simple... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Git 'r dun!
tugcapt

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2009, 11:27:24 PM »

We should all write him and say we can't afford the licenses since our BGE bills are so high.  laugh laugh

Seaweed
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2009, 11:38:59 PM »

I would, but I can't afford paper or stamps since I live in MD.  If it can be taxed to death, we will tax it to death.

Git 'r dun!

Crab A Lot

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2009, 08:53:32 AM »

Did anyone read this http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/top/2009/03/20-27/State-gives-recreational-crabbers-a-break.html

Now they are patting each other on the back.

It even say's the rec crab boat license covers everyone onboard. laugh laugh

While the proposed registration has been eliminated, recreational crabbers who needed licenses in the past will still need them, including the $5 recreational license required for people catching crabs out on the water or a recreational crabbing boat license that covers everyone on board.

Everyone can crab if you have the recreational crabbing boat license..... i think you missed the (or) in the sentence, but still only one bushel of crabs.

Chesapeake Bay Crabs are the best!!!!!!!!
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2009, 08:59:22 AM »

....and I still think 1 bushel is way too many crabs for one person.
jmo

in·teg·ri·ty   
tugcapt

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2009, 10:46:34 AM »

I didn't miss the OR, I was refering to the DNR comment on this other thread
http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php/topic,31101.msg276353.html#msg276353

dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2009, 11:05:17 AM »

....and I still think 1 bushel is way too many crabs for one person.
jmo

I think 1 bushel is a very reasonable amount for 1 licensed crabber. If you take that home and invite a few friends or in my case, my son and his wife, my 2 daughters and thier husbands, it makes for 8-10 crabs per person. I don't think that's overkill by any standard.
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2009, 11:15:44 AM »

Again, and respectfully, It's not the states' responsibility for you to feed the neighborhood crabs. The license is for individual crabber.

My neighbors love rockfish, but I'm still only allowed 2.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 11:18:22 AM by ChrisS » Logged

in·teg·ri·ty   

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home