August 17, 2018, 04:31:12 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comms and recs working together....  (Read 4334 times)
bluecrab

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2009, 03:22:11 PM »

...to help the economy?

http://www.noaa.gov/features/economic_0309/index.html

I WILL get my boat out next year!
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 03:44:44 PM »

good.

not happenin with crabbin though...cough tidalfish cough.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
bluecrab

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 03:45:57 PM »

I figured it would catch the eye :-)

genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 05:29:19 PM »

Great Idea, it would help the Rec Guys understand more about how everything works, maybe it will change their minds on things like gillnets and such...
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 08:19:22 PM »

not on tidalfish

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other

queue3

I Hate Crabs! I sell Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 08:51:17 PM »

Great Idea, it would help the Rec Guys understand more about how everything works, maybe it will change their minds on things like gillnets and such...

You can't be talking about rec fishermen from ENC are you ?  It would be easier trying to convert them to Islam. They will only be happy when all the gill netters are put out of business. I'm just glad they don't want my crabs too.
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 08:59:10 PM »

You can't be talking about rec fishermen from ENC are you ?  It would be easier trying to convert them to Islam. They will only be happy when all the gill netters are put out of business. I'm just glad they don't want my crabs too.

Good point, and Your Correct, I guess I was day dreaming of a day when we could all live in peace and harmony... Roll Eyes I BETTER WAKE UP.. Grin
bluecrab

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 10:18:24 AM »

I am actually very interested in gill netting and how to do it PROPERLY. Maybe one day :-)
Some people think that its atrocious and should be outlawed. I once thought that too until I listened to a native american indian explaining to people why he did it. 

He stated that in his state it it was only allowed for three days out of the year and he was able to make enough catch to provide food for 70 of his family members for the year if I remember correctly.
I think when people see it they think its raping the resource and that "discards" are a waste.  How I understand it though is discards can be decreased with proper usage of the gill net.  I don't know I never used one or even rigged one so I am speculating.
How I see it is that the resource is actually being used and consumed. 

I won't even try to fish for anything unless I am going to use it for bait or eat it. I don't even think I believe in catch and release anymore, rather "Catch and Eat".  I enjoy the sport but I really enjoyed Crab cakes and soup through the winter and the smiles on family members sipping crab soup on Christmas day (enough for 40 members).  I have hunted a few times but never really respected it as I do know.

Now I don't want to start any trouble. After being on this board for the past year and a half and doing research (not just google searching either) I would say that lots of organizations are trying to squeeze the commercial waterman.  I would also say that most of the population(me included)  is not EDUCATED about commercial fishing and what it provides for localities and our country.  If people were EDUCATED of what they were buying and eating in these supermarkets I believe they would think twice.

My family (including extended) in recent years have been really into buying from local farmers and waterman.
KNOW THE SOURCE or try to understand it as best as you can.

A little long winded but MHO.

Take Care
Blue

bluecrab

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 10:19:15 AM »

You can't be talking about rec fishermen from ENC are you ? 

What is ENC?

Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 11:41:46 AM »

I am actually very interested in gill netting and how to do it PROPERLY. Maybe one day :-)
Some people think that its atrocious and should be outlawed. I once thought that too until I listened to a native american indian explaining to people why he did it. 

He stated that in his state it it was only allowed for three days out of the year and he was able to make enough catch to provide food for 70 of his family members for the year if I remember correctly.
I think when people see it they think its raping the resource and that "discards" are a waste.  How I understand it though is discards can be decreased with proper usage of the gill net.  I don't know I never used one or even rigged one so I am speculating.
How I see it is that the resource is actually being used and consumed. 

I won't even try to fish for anything unless I am going to use it for bait or eat it. I don't even think I believe in catch and release anymore, rather "Catch and Eat".  I enjoy the sport but I really enjoyed Crab cakes and soup through the winter and the smiles on family members sipping crab soup on Christmas day (enough for 40 members).  I have hunted a few times but never really respected it as I do know.

Now I don't want to start any trouble. After being on this board for the past year and a half and doing research (not just google searching either) I would say that lots of organizations are trying to squeeze the commercial waterman.  I would also say that most of the population(me included)  is not EDUCATED about commercial fishing and what it provides for localities and our country.  If people were EDUCATED of what they were buying and eating in these supermarkets I believe they would think twice.

My family (including extended) in recent years have been really into buying from local farmers and waterman.
KNOW THE SOURCE or try to understand it as best as you can.

A little long winded but MHO.

Take Care
Blue

Blue,  Sounds like you have used your head, and developed your own opinion of watermen.  I'm glad you are no longer drinking the kool aid, so to speak.  If more people would use their intelegence, and not listen to the propaganda perpetrated by cca and other like anti- commercial fishing organizations, the former image of the waterman as a fine upstanding, hard working person would still prevail in the public.  Thanks for keeping an open mind.

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee

bluecrab

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 12:02:05 PM »

Blue,  Sounds like you have used your head, and developed your own opinion of watermen.  I'm glad you are no longer drinking the kool aid, so to speak.  If more people would use their intelegence, and not listen to the propaganda perpetrated by cca and other like anti- commercial fishing organizations, the former image of the waterman as a fine upstanding, hard working person would still prevail in the public.  Thanks for keeping an open mind.
Thanks a lot Breeze
EDUCATION!! EDUCATION!! EDUCATION!! That's why so many foreign folks are beating us in everything.

I was a late bloomer in believing in Education.  Now I am a believer.  That's why I keep my signature.
Most of the population will believe anything you tell them without even trying to understand.

Its a crying shame.  I have friends that want everything the world has to offer but won't even try to get educated in what they want to do.

And when I say education I don't mean what google tells you. ;-)

Anyway I am off the soap box.

queue3

I Hate Crabs! I sell Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 12:16:53 PM »

What is ENC?
Eastern North Carolina

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: