November 12, 2019, 09:58:39 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crawfish, Crayfish, Crawdad, Mud Bug!  (Read 44110 times)
Jigginjohnson

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 01:42:42 PM »

I agree but we throw the stonecats away when we go for hellgramites. Only bc we only have one bucket. Hellgramites are the best bait by far I've used for any river fish. How do you get them? My dad and I use a seine net below or in some rapids and the other guy uses the potatoe rake just above to rake the [shiz] out of the rocks, then when the mud clears pick up the net and pick out the hellgies. We live near Sunbury/ Lewisburg and they atre wonderful. Grin

I pick all of my clippers (hellgramites) by hand. I have used the nets, but I do much better picking by hand. Same goes for the stonecats. I lover summer SM fishing. Doesnt get much better. I fish from Falls/Harding down to Wilkes-Barre.-JJ
Nabbcrab

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 10:34:31 PM »

God, I love those bugs.  I eat them all the time out of LA and TX.  The Chinese seem to cook them the best if you want them hot!  I've been thinking about catching some locally and cooking them myself.  Coon [arse]'s use a different kind of trap other then a minnow trap.  Anyone know about this?

Hey Now!
snowenloe

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 08:38:49 AM »

This guy sells some nice traps, here in NW Oregon we can catch some decent crawdads.  The local fishing store has a good selection of traps.

http://www.terrybullard.com/
lefty87

Doc says I've caught the CRAB FEVER

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 01:48:58 PM »

haha a couple years ago my friend and i went camping at my uncle's campground in pennslyvania where we spent 4 days just all day boozin, fishing, swimming, and  nights going out to the local bars meeting girls to party with us but we did try something new.  My buddy brought up the ring nets that we use for crabbing and put the heads of the trout or big small mouths that we caught in them, let me kid you not we caught 305 in about a 30 yard section of the creek, it was a blast because you could see them scurrying in from under the rocks and they were monsters their claws would be too big for minnow trap, not the typical ones you see flipping over a rock.  It was a blast.
Chef Lar
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 02:03:56 PM »

Hey Lefty, where in Pa. I've been looking at it and thought about doing it. I'm right on the Sus-q and thought about giving it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Wink

"Don't be a dumbass." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009, 02:22:04 PM »

Hey Lefty, where in Pa. I've been looking at it and thought about doing it. I'm right on the Sus-q and thought about giving it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Wink

prettty much anywhere.. Larry.....probably do better on the smaller feeder creeks and streams that lead into the susky.... we catch em in a small creek that feeds the little / upper gunpowder ( not the same one whee folks crab.. this runs from pretty boy resevoir to loch raven....lots of littel spring feed creeks that run into it.. we go in sept / mid oct and catch crwdads.. use for bait in the  lakes for smallies... man you catch some nice fish on em... even have caught giant yellow perch on them 13-15 inches...

MD / PA Line
Chef Lar
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 02:57:08 PM »

Yeah, I remember going with dad and a seine net to get minnows and crayfish in the Swatara as a kid, to use as bait for bass. Dad would break the pinchers off so they couldn't get back under the rocks. I've been thinking though that if I could start catching some of the bugs up here, it might just make up for when the crabbing ain't so hot. In all my reading, I haven't found a time of year when they are more, or less active. Lots of little feeder creeks around, so I'm thinking, hmmmmmmmmmm.

"Don't be a dumbass." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 03:16:19 PM »

Yeah, I remember going with dad and a seine net to get minnows and crayfish in the Swatara as a kid, to use as bait for bass. Dad would break the pinchers off so they couldn't get back under the rocks. I've been thinking though that if I could start catching some of the bugs up here, it might just make up for when the crabbing ain't so hot. In all my reading, I haven't found a time of year when they are more, or less active. Lots of little feeder creeks around, so I'm thinking, hmmmmmmmmmm.

well you an catch em spring through fall, but the time they are the best bait around here in the lakes is late sept through october.... as the grass and weedbeds dies off the crawdads loss their cover and then start to migrate into deeper water and /or rockier areas for cover.. as they  do the bass large and small mouth... usually go into a feeding frenzy on them.. it becomes th epreferred bait down here then... or jig and pig, crawdad colored crankbaits or soft plasitics rigged either texas style or with a jig head are hot baits then....I agree might be  abit late for em this year... but keep it in mind next fall.. when crabbing is real good... water is getting clearer and grass beds dying off.. that is crawdad time.... and they will catch big bass too.. I usually breakoff one or both the claws to make them a bit more appetizing to the bass

MD / PA Line
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2009, 06:22:40 PM »

well you an catch em spring through fall, but the time they are the best bait around here in the lakes is late sept through october.... as the grass and weedbeds dies off the crawdads loss their cover and then start to migrate into deeper water and /or rockier areas for cover.. as they  do the bass large and small mouth... usually go into a feeding frenzy on them.. it becomes th epreferred bait down here then... or jig and pig, crawdad colored crankbaits or soft plasitics rigged either texas style or with a jig head are hot baits then....I agree might be  abit late for em this year... but keep it in mind next fall.. when crabbing is real good... water is getting clearer and grass beds dying off.. that is crawdad time.... and they will catch big bass too.. I usually breakoff one or both the claws to make them a bit more appetizing to the bass
That's it... I can't stand no more... I'm calling PETA!  Angry

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 09:51:59 AM »

That's it... I can't stand no more... I'm calling PETA!  Angry

I am already a member Jack, so don't panic.....

People Eating Tasting Animals....

MD / PA Line

captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 09:55:27 AM »

I am already a member Jack, so don't panic.....

People Eating Tasting Animals....
Dog eat Dog World!... Grin Grin

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 09:56:48 AM »

Dog eat Dog World!... Grin Grin

yeah well if you can't beat join em.....just don't bite the hand that feeds ya.. laugh laugh laugh laugh

I guess I should have said I am in PETA  Pooches Eating Tasty Animals

MD / PA Line
DEReeves

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 09:57:55 AM »

Sportsmen catch crawfish in wire minnow traps, just wallow the hole out to about one and a half inches. Small mesh drop nets are good too. I fish them commercially with pillow traps. A pillow trap is made of 1/2" coated chicken wire. Simply cut 3' off a 3' wide roll and fold it over and crimp the edge with rings. The bottom two corners are turned in to make two funnels. The top is folded over about 3"  so that it can be unfolded to empty. It looks like a pillow at this point. They can be flattened for transport then pushed  back to their "pillow" form when set. We use pogey for bait or shad. Take it into the marsh or swamp and tie it off, set it with the funnels underwater. Best left overnight.

Give the pogey a twist so the oil and blood gets into the water.

One problem here is you tend to catch quite a few snakes in the traps. Alligators will take them once in a while and chew them up pretty bad.

They are excellent when boiled properly. I saw an excellent recipe earlier in this post. We do not eat chinese crawfish fresh, frozen or cleaned. it only helps put UNITED STATES FISHERMEN out of work or drive the prices way down. Kinda like mexican crab meat. There was a scare a while back when it was discovered the chinese were putting some sort of non FDA approved antibiotic in their crawfish ponds to cut down on mortality. I'm sure they fully complied with the US asking them to discontinue the practice........Riiiiiiiiight.

If you clean crawfish to make jambalaya, gumbo or sauce piquant be sure to save the fat, that is the yellow stuff that sticks to the tail when you remove it from the body. You wont get much but it dont take much to give the dish a true cajun flavor. Scrape it off and put it in a little bowl then add it to the whatever dish you are putting the crawfish in. I've heard the yellow stuff is actually the pancreas, I dont know for sure what it is but it has been called fat by everyone here so as far as I'm concerned its fat. Whatever it is its plenty good.

When you clean crawfish be sure and get the doo doo string out of the top of the tail. A long tab of meat runs down the top of the tail, pull it off and eat or save it. There will be a doo doo tube under it, simply pull it out and discard. That tube is full of doo doo and sometimes grit. Sounds like a lot of trouble but it is not, speed comes with practice. Some people here can eat them faster than a heron.
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 09:59:06 AM »

good thing is up here in yankee land we don't have to worry about too many snakes let alone alligators... laugh

MD / PA Line
DEReeves

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 10:17:21 AM »

All you have to do is open the trap and let the snakes crawl out IF the crawfish have not killed and eaten them. The alligators.... you just gotta be patient and let them chew till they lose interest then retireve the trap and hopefully bend it back into shape. We do eat alligators but not snakes.

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 11:16:01 AM »

All you have to do is open the trap and let the snakes crawl out IF the crawfish have not killed and eaten them. The alligators.... you just gotta be patient and let them chew till they lose interest then retireve the trap and hopefully bend it back into shape. We do eat alligators but not snakes.

I have had alligator tail .  someone brought it up from florida for one of our game feast.... kinda like chicken... course doesn't everything taste like chicken laugh

MD / PA Line
DEReeves

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 11:25:13 AM »

The crawfishing trip can be livened up by bringing an inexperienced fisherman along and dump a water snake, fish snake, (not a cottonmouth) into the bottom of the boat then sit back and enjoy the ensuing panic accompanied by screaming, cursing and boat paddle flailing usually culminating with either the snake or the fisherman going over the side. Its all in good fun,  the water is warm and shallow. Just dont let him back in the boat until he calms down.
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 11:33:36 AM »

The crawfishing trip can be livened up by bringing an inexperienced fisherman along and dump a water snake, fish snake, (not a cottonmouth) into the bottom of the boat then sit back and enjoy the ensuing panic accompanied by screaming, cursing and boat paddle flailing usually culminating with either the snake or the fisherman going over the side. Its all in good fun,  the water is warm and shallow. Just dont let him back in the boat until he calms down.

that might cause some trouble.   laugh  .. man if that was me.. I am petrified of snakes....  don't mind other stuff. but snakes...ugh....Remind me to never go out in your boat if I am ever in TX again... laugh laugh 

MD / PA Line
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 11:58:51 AM »

that might cause some trouble.   laugh  .. man if that was me.. I am petrified of snakes....  don't mind other stuff. but snakes...ugh....Remind me to never go out in your boat if I am ever in TX again... laugh laugh 
I can just see now, another dog dive and  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes another broken paw joint.....   Grin Grin Grin

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2009, 12:01:41 PM »

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh Shocked Shocked Shocked

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab