November 11, 2019, 11:01:19 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WDS results  (Read 13795 times)
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 05:47:59 PM »

It was an article written back in July of 08.  My point is how could it have rebound like they said and adult males increased 50% if the Feds said they were in peril this past summer. 

An overall rebound of 30% in 6 months?  I DON"T THINK SO DNR!

From "Emergency Disaster" status to an increase of 50% in 6 months... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  yeah, that seems right Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

DNR should have a sale on rubber boots... because its getting pretty deep around here Huh Huh Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Git 'r dun!
Crab A Lot

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 05:48:24 PM »

the date on the top of the page says today the 17 th. but the date under the article heading says july 2008 , whats up.

Go to wjz.com scroll down to you see crab population rebounds check out the article and videos Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Chesapeake Bay Crabs are the best!!!!!!!!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 06:57:13 PM »

Funny aint it.. If it's down it's wrong... If it's up it's wrong...

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
reds
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 02:49:18 AM »

Funny aint it.. If it's down it's wrong... If it's up it's wrong...

What's funny is using a method to measure crab populations that is very flawed.

The winter of 2008 was warmer then 2009. The crabs didn't dig into the mud in 2008. Colder winter in 2009, the crabs bury.

Surprise, surprise more crabs in 2009 because they were not moving around and could be counted.

Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 06:24:01 AM »

What's funny is using a method to measure crab populations that is very flawed.

The winter of 2008 was warmer then 2009. The crabs didn't dig into the mud in 2008. Colder winter in 2009, the crabs bury.

Surprise, surprise more crabs in 2009 because they were not moving around and could be counted.

C'mon reds...that's to logical!  DNR doesn't understand logic.  Grin

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 07:12:45 AM »

The fact that y'all finally got some rain at the right times last year got lost somewhere,  Roll Eyes

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
kevin g

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 07:47:25 AM »

I had heard they were going to carry commercial crabbers with them to do the survey if so thats part of the increase cause they actually had someone aboard the boat that knew how to catch crabs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2009, 08:08:52 AM »

I had heard they were going to carry commercial crabbers with them to do the survey if so thats part of the increase cause they actually had someone aboard the boat that knew how to catch crabs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I heard that they just hired the Commercial Crabber (as a driver only) and his boat...     DNR conducts the Dredge Operation / Report without any input from the Commercial Crabber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..................

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2009, 08:41:11 AM »

I don't know about MD but VA did make that offer and, at least as of Feb. they were not taken up on it.

The actual offer was to come watch not tell them what to do.  For a survey to be valid the methods have to be the same from year to year.  All that changes is the precise locations where they take samples.  For VA it is 1500 locations spread out over the bay.
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2009, 10:10:47 AM »

well,  I'm a commercial crabber in season, and I usually find a union plumbing job in the winter.  this winter there was no construction work so I couldn't find a job.   I for sure would have taken a job as an observer on the dredge boat, if it was offered.  No offer came to me.

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee

captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 10:21:50 AM »

well,  I'm a commercial crabber in season, and I usually find a union plumbing job in the winter.  this winter there was no construction work so I couldn't find a job.   I for sure would have taken a job as an observer on the dredge boat, if it was offered.  No offer came to me.
Mr B,   You should of been an Electrician.... Grin Grin Grin

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
Tom Powers

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2009, 10:58:36 AM »

I don't think that it was a paid position.  I also don't think that it was intended to be an every day position.
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2009, 02:12:01 PM »

I don't think that it was a paid position.  I also don't think that it was intended to be an every day position.
Well thats real good,something else for watermen to "volunteer" for",spend his money and time for being there while evry other Government SOB involved is drawing a paycheck.

- John Wayne
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009, 11:20:15 AM »

From "Emergency Disaster" status to an increase of 50% in 6 months... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  yeah, that seems right Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

DNR should have a sale on rubber boots... because its getting pretty deep around here Huh Huh Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Weed,

come on now.  Martin O'Malley himself even said thanks to all the comms who took it on the chin economically and made sacrifces.... to save the blue crab......  OMG.... he doesn't miss a beat......I also like the key word on the reports....  It say there is slightly over an "estimated" 400 million...... I thought the VA report wa a bit more in depth at least... and the politicians all got a chance to grab some glory....but notice how the young crabs under 2 inches has not risen in any great numbers .....  and the concern is that they will become mature and then affect the 2009 and 2010 WDS.....  and I beat the numbers those years will go back down again and then they will have to enact more restrictions......... .... Undecided  and like you said it is pretty funny it was gloom and doom this summer in July 2008 and 6 months later it is a miraculous rebound and almost a 70 % overall crab increase......  I have to agree with you guys....  this has a bit of a smell to it..... worse part is.. folks I talk to are telling me they say on the news how the crabs have bounced back and they were saying the new rules are really working.......I guess people really do watch the local news and believe everything they are spoon feed......  that by it self is a little scary....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 11:31:46 AM by CrabDog » Logged

MD / PA Line
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2009, 12:03:42 PM »

Isn't it funny how the WDS was up but according to the DNR we inflated our catch reports?  how does this happen?  Angry

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

Chef Lar
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 12:10:09 PM »

Seems like that one movie, "You want the truth, you can't handle the truth." So says the other Jack, Nicholson. Sad

"Don't be a dumbass." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 12:37:37 PM »

Isn't it funny how the WDS was up but according to the DNR we inflated our catch reports?  how does this happen?  Angry

yeah D another good point.  They were saying al the Comm's were most likely reporting inflated catch rates in case you got based on them for future numbers... so you all caught more crabs or reported higher catches.. and yet the  crabs left or un caught magically almost doubled in population on the WDS on top of it...... yeah like Old George W use to say...;" I think this is what they call fuzzy math"..... Roll Eyes laugh but Martin O'alley does thank you from the bottom of his heart ...... Grin Roll Eyes

MD / PA Line
Crab A Lot

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2009, 12:58:23 PM »

To all on the forum,

In all fairness,not trying to put the blame on the crab decline in the Chesapeake Bay on the commercial,recreational crabber,DNR,politicins who ever.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figurer out by releasing the female crab that they would replenish the crab population,this should of been done years age on this positive note how many agree or disagree

Chesapeake Bay Crabs are the best!!!!!!!!
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2009, 01:16:31 PM »

To all on the forum,

In all fairness,not trying to put the blame on the crab decline in the Chesapeake Bay on the commercial,recreational crabber,DNR,politicins who ever.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figurer out by releasing the female crab that they would replenish the crab population,this should of been done years age on this positive note how many agree or disagree

The females released haven't even spawned yet.  And how do you explain the 50% increase in the adult male population?

It's all a bunch of political BS.  I don't believe any numbers published by DNR!

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 04:41:09 PM »

To all on the forum,

It's ok,smoking that stuff will be legal one day.

- John Wayne

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home