September 21, 2019, 11:43:35 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low profile crab traps-anyone tried them?  (Read 5625 times)
falconnj

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »

Has anyone used these low-profile crab traps? They are only abut 6" high and I guess the only advantage to these is storage and transport.  Pros? Cons? Love em?  Hate em?
Your comments are appreciated-  thanks, Fred
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 01:23:36 PM »

Hi Fred, I haven't used that kind but if you are looking for easy to store & stack, topless traps are the way to go in my opinion.  I made these myself (do a search here- all the plans & discussion about making traps is available) and but there are members that sell them. 

The pic shows my 30 traps in 3 stacks, but I usually to 2 stacks of 15.  One stack of 15 is about 1'x1'x3' which is nothing for that many traps.  They are very sturdy and catch lots of crabs.     

23' C Hawk
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 02:42:10 PM »

I have used them for over 30 years . work just great for me.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Dreampixels
In Memoriam 10/2015
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 11:46:12 PM »

Has anyone used these low-profile crab traps? They are only abut 6" high and I guess the only advantage to these is storage and transport.  Pros? Cons? Love em?  Hate em?
Your comments are appreciated-  thanks, Fred

The only advantage I can see is  2 will go in to place of one that is full size. However with that being said I have no traps that will conserve more space then the topless trap and the only disadvantage I can find with topless is sunburn, no wait thats another topless subject. The only negative with topless is you must pull them up quickly, kids might have a problem, but everything else is a green light on topless.

If space is not a problem then you 6 inch traps will do just fine. I made many 6 inch traps and only had 2 doors on them. Other crabbers would say, hey 4 doors are better, they can get to the bait easier. My reply was if a hungry crab can not figure out how to get in to the bait, he must be mentally challenged and I do want him anyway.

As soon I as I saw topless I switched to them and won't go back.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:03:32 AM by Dreampixels » Logged

I wish to die like my father did, in his "sleep" - unlike the screaming passengers aboard the plane he was piloting.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan
Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Captain A. G. Lamplugh
CrabmanC27C

"Never seen a blue crab!just the red ones"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 12:00:01 AM »

Love mm,i use boxed tho.are those open top?

"Music is the sigh of the oppressed masses,It is the heart in a heartless world"~Bill Graham~

CrabmanC27C

"Never seen a blue crab!just the red ones"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 12:05:14 AM »

Love mm,i use boxed tho.are those open top?
Roll Eyes

"Music is the sigh of the oppressed masses,It is the heart in a heartless world"~Bill Graham~
falconnj

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 02:26:45 PM »

Thanks everyone for your comments..  Moose, that pic was the selling point...All those traps, not taking much room, neatly stacked together...I'm sold!
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:08:29 AM »

Glad to help.  Falconj is right that kids may have a problem, but my 8 yo twins and 11 yo have figured it out.  You don't have to pull fast so much as you have to pull steady.  As long as you pull steady the water pressure keeps the crab in the bottom of the trap.  I had a bunch of the ring net traps that the kids just couldn't pull at all.  I even lost some- usually the bigger crabs that had one leg over the top already.  Then I picked up some full box traps just for the kids.  They work well but take up a ton of space all year long.  The topless traps are a great compromise between all the pros & cons IMO.  Mine are all galvanized & a good rinse with fresh water at the end of the day keeps them looking like new.  They should last a long long time.

23' C Hawk
long green crabber
In Memoriam 12/2011
Lifetime Member

crabbin` cruiser

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 10:19:54 AM »

The only advantage I can see is  2 will go in to place of one that is full size. However with that being said I have no traps that will conserve more space then the topless trap and the only disadvantage I can find with topless is sunburn, no wait thats another topless subject. The only negative with topless is you must pull them up quickly, kids might have a problem, but everything else is a green light on topless.

If space is not a problem then you 6 inch traps will do just fine. I made many 6 inch traps and only had 2 doors on them. Other crabbers would say, hey 4 doors are better, they can get to the bait easier. My reply was if a hungry crab can not figure out how to get in to the bait, he must be mentally challenged and I do want him anyway.

As soon I as I saw topless I switched to them and won't go back.
                                                                                                                                                                   what we do when pulling topless. is to keep the boat moving,thusly helping  crabs stay put while pulling   good luck   lgc
jason22
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 05:10:49 PM »

Hey falconnj, did you find any place in Jersey selling those traps?  Haven't tried them myself but would like to this summer since I am replacing my old box traps. 

"It is what it is"

falconnj

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 12:45:08 PM »

Jason,  There are members here that sell the topless traps.  I havent purchased any as of yet.   If anyone reading this sells the topless traps, you might want to give Jason22 a holler.   Fred
jason22
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 02:49:09 PM »

Yeah I saw that some guys had them.  Still haven't seen them for sale in NJ though.  Curious if you saw them somewhere.  Maybe there is a market in them up here since no one seems to have them except the hard core guys. 

"It is what it is"
CAMMCC1

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 05:13:24 PM »

What about the the STAR traps?
Are they a safe compromise? Space saving & a top ?
                       thanks 
                            CAM
PHILLY JOE
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 10:13:28 PM »

The topless traps are no problem for NJ crabs. I have never had on pull out of the top. 6" crab with 2 inch claws and there is still another   3 or 4  inches of trap height.( claws aren't on very ends of crabs)
A 7 1/2 - 8 3/4 inch MD crab is a different story. Them guys are like gymnasts. If they are in sideways, their craws are already past top of trap.  They grab and vault over.

If yu are buying bulk traps, here is a link. I don't know if I have ever  used Foxy mate topless. I purchased my original traps from kcrabpots and I don't know which brand he supplies.

http://www.easternmarineoutlet.com/crabbing2.html

If you are mechanically inclined and going to need a lot of traps, You can make the fixtures easily and purchase the materials and make your own. I think it costs me just under $4 each to make. Another dollar for float(pool noodle) and nylon line. You can get 6 floats out of a pool noodle. Some dollar stores carry them but I usually get mine at Wal mart at end of season clearance. $1.  They are $3.88 at beginning of season.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:20:00 PM by PHILLY JOE » Logged

dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 07:03:52 AM »

The topless traps are no problem for NJ crabs. I have never had on pull out of the top. 6" crab with 2 inch claws and there is still another   3 or 4  inches of trap height.( claws aren't on very ends of crabs)
A 7 1/2 - 8 3/4 inch MD crab is a different story. Them guys are like gymnasts. If they are in sideways, their craws are already past top of trap.  They grab and vault over.

If yu are buying bulk traps, here is a link. I don't know if I have ever  used Foxy mate topless. I purchased my original traps from kcrabpots and I don't know which brand he supplies.
http://www.easternmarineoutlet.com/crabbing2.html

If you are mechanically inclined and going to need a lot of traps, You can make the fixtures easily and purchase the materials and make your own. I think it costs me just under $4 each to make. Another dollar for float(pool noodle) and nylon line. You can get 6 floats out of a pool noodle. Some dollar stores carry them but I usually get mine at Wal mart at end of season clearance. $1.  They are $3.88 at beginning of season.

kcrabpots makes his own amd sells them, execellent quality. Another member of the forum, CaptaunBruce, also makes excellent quality topless traps. It's nice if you support members of the forum. You couldn't go wrong with traps purchased from either of these guys. Both of them ship almost immediately.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 03:13:24 PM by dfran » Logged

Izzymd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 11:06:45 AM »

I purchased a bunch of kcrabpots traps last year.  No complaints.  Cheesy   Grin  Smiley
phillyfireman
Lifetime Member

love crabbing and elk hunting

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 11:25:02 AM »

The look on that kid just cracks me up  Grin   cant wait to get out there with my son once again. Wink
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 03:45:17 PM »

kcrabpots makes his own amd sells them, execellent quality. Another member of the forum, CaptaunBruce, also makes excellent quality topless traps. It's nice if you support members of the forum. You couldn't go wrong with traps purchased from either of these guys. Both of them ship almost immediately.
Great Advice.... Wink   Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home