January 20, 2022, 06:41:56 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rainbow Trout for crab bait?  (Read 14617 times)
Eddie2009

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2009, 09:55:22 AM »

I noticed some Trout from last years Trout season in my downstairs freezer when I was cleaning it out.Could I legally use this for bait since it is no longer good? I am from Pa and this year will be my first time crabbing for 20 years. I hate to get a fine on the first time out.When I did go crabbing I used chicken, panfish and catfish for crab bait back than. Any info on this would be great.
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 10:46:32 AM »

I do not think it is legal to use a "gamefish" for bait.....live or dead.....to bad it sat in th efreezer too long.. I guess it most likely freezer burnt....I would nto do it, besdies trout beign such a soft fish I would iamgin it would get torn up pretty quick.. course it might make the crabs taste better..... laugh

MD / PA Line
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 11:11:25 AM »

I would.  Hate to see good fish go to waste.  I don't know of any laws or restrictions on bait.  As long as they were legally caught what you do with them is your business.  Some comm crabbers use shrimp for bait when no other bait is working.

23' C Hawk
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 11:46:50 AM »

I think the only question about legality would come up if you are in possession of your old, freezer burned and probably smell trout in NJ and it doesn't meet the minimum keeper standards for a trout in NJ.     Then you could be fined for being in possession of an undersized fish.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 25-26, 2021
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 12:23:24 PM »

Down here it is illegal to use gamefish for bait and people get tickets for it a lot so I would check first,then next time you are fishing only take what you can eat.I see people doing it all the time,when deer season comes in they throw out all t5he freezer burned fish to make room for deer meat so they can throw that freezer burned meat out next spring to make room for more fish.  Roll Eyes

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 01:21:05 PM »

I think the only question about legality would come up if you are in possession of your old, freezer burned and probably smell trout in NJ and it doesn't meet the minimum keeper standards for a trout in NJ.     Then you could be fined for being in possession of an undersized fish.

I can tell you for sure in MD it is illegal to use gamefish as bait.. I knew a couple of guys catching rainbow trout then using the filets later for freshwater striper fishing......  when he caught a hugh one in a local lake the said what he used for bait in the article and then was later fined for it.  In PA I can imagine it might be the same......  Can't speak for other areas...

But it looks like RD says it is the same in Florida too...

MD / PA Line
Eddie2009

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »

I called NJ freshwater law enforcement and they said you could use Trout as fishing bait for freshwater as long as you bought the fish. You must have a receipt of purchase.
908-735-8240

NJ saltwater law enforcement said there is no regulation on what kind of bait you can use as long as it is disposed of properly.  I also asked if trout could be used as cut bait for saltwater fishing. She said she would call me back.
609-748-2050
Eddie2009

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 02:30:39 PM »

I just got off the phone with NJ saltwater law enforcement and I was told that trout is legal to use as cut bait for saltwater fishing.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:32:35 PM by Eddie2009 » Logged
Eddie2009

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 02:36:11 PM »

Down here it is illegal to use gamefish for bait and people get tickets for it a lot so I would check first,then next time you are fishing only take what you can eat.I see people doing it all the time,when deer season comes in they throw out all t5he freezer burned fish to make room for deer meat so they can throw that freezer burned meat out next spring to make room for more fish.  Roll Eyes

Almost all of my fish that I catch is either eaten by me or given away to others that eat it.I don't know how I forgot it. I do not want to waste it myself so I figure I would feed it to the crabs.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:38:29 PM by Eddie2009 » Logged
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 07:19:05 AM »

NJ saltwater law enforcement said there is no regulation on what kind of bait you can use as long as it is disposed of properly.  I also asked if trout could be used as cut bait for saltwater fishing. She said she would call me back.
609-748-2050

Talk about one hand not knowing what the other is doing!    Grin

I volunteer for NJ Fish and Wildlife, so I called I asked the a local game warden I often work with about this.    He said exactly what I was saying above.    If he came across a group crabbing and they were in possession of a fish, even for bait, that was not legal possess or under the size allowed for possession, he would write the individual a citation.

June 25-26, 2021
Somers Point, NJ

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Eddie2009

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 10:27:56 AM »

I volunteer for NJ Fish and Wildlife, so I called I asked the a local game warden I often work with about this.    He said exactly what I was saying above.    If he came across a group crabbing and they were in possession of a fish, even for bait, that was not legal possess or under the size allowed for possession, he would write the individual a citation.

Someone needs to inform Trish of the laws because the wrong information could get people in trouble. I think that is the person that I talked to. I just chucked the trout in the garbage because it is not worth the aggravation.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 10:33:45 AM by Eddie2009 » Logged
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »

Ron, I think you are right.  The key is whether it is legal to catch or possess the fish in the state(s) you plan to have them in your possession.  I agree with the laws since some unscrupulous people may keep everything they catch, even shorts, with the intent of using them for bait.  That runs counter to min. size or bag limits.

23' C Hawk
Eddie2009

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 11:21:35 AM »

So is NJ freshwater law enforcement correct when they said if the **** is bought it could be used for bait as long as I have a receipt? Or is this incorrect also? I plan on using bunker or chicken for crab bait anyway but I am curious if this is true.
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 11:50:10 AM »

Eddie, big difference between trout or any other game fish (any subject to min. size or catch limits) and bunker or chicken.  Game fish should be used only if you know it is legal to possess the size of fish you have on hand in the state you plan to use it.  (Sizes just for ref. I am not a FW trout fisherman)  In other words, if you have a 14" trout in your possession which is legal in PA, but NJ min is 16", then don't bring it to NJ.  If the game fish is legal to catch & possess in NJ, then go for it.

Bunker & chicken are not subject to recreational regs.  Use at will. 

23' C Hawk
Eddie2009

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 03:40:49 PM »

All I have to say is WOW! The fish and wildlife people of New Jersey need to get together and write\read the same book of rules regarding what could and what could not be used for bait. I wonder what other things are different?

These people said I was allowed as long as I stay within the creel and size limit of NJ. The words from the top man there.

609-259-2120

If you want to be mind boggled! Call the numbers that I have listed and ask them. It is very funny all the different answers you will get.  laugh
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:42:58 PM by Eddie2009 » Logged

Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 05:39:12 AM »

These people said I was allowed as long as I stay within the creel and size limit of NJ. The words from the top man there.

As long as your catch stayed within allowable limits, or the bait?     Grin

June 25-26, 2021
Somers Point, NJ

To Register:

CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 06:23:10 AM »

Ha, Ha!  That clears it up Ron!   laugh

23' C Hawk
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 07:35:22 AM »

In VA, if you have a "cleaned" fish aboard, what's kept has to bigger than the limit.  A piece of skin at least 1 inch square has to be left on the fish for ID of species.  So, if you caught a 20 inch flounder and filleted it on the boat, you would probably get a ticket.  Unless you kept the carcuss.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
mdjohn

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 08:34:54 AM »

I noticed some Trout from last years Trout season in my downstairs freezer when I was cleaning it out.Could I legally use this for bait since it is no longer good? I am from Pa and this year will be my first time crabbing for 20 years. I hate to get a fine on the first time out.When I did go crabbing I used chicken, panfish and catfish for crab bait back than. Any info on this would be great.

as Fat Jimmy at da south jersey Pig an Poke says ----- " don't worry bout it "

get a good lawyer an " forget a bout it "

ya gonna destroy the evidence anyways  laugh laugh laugh

IMHO  Wink Wink Wink Grin laugh

ya can always buy some protection  Wink Wink Wink

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:28:14 AM by mdjohn » Logged
Eddie2009

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 11:42:23 PM »

As long as your catch stayed within allowable limits, or the bait?     Grin

There is no NJ law that states you can't use a Freshwater fish as bait in Saltwater. There is the law of procession. As long as the Trout is of legal size, and that I am not in procession of more than the amount of Trout allowed to have in a day. I could use it for bait in Saltwater. The Freshwater fish used for Saltwater crab bait must have a head and tail to be measured if needed. If I choose to use it for fishing I can't filet the fish. I could cut strips off the fish leaving the head and tail intacted so it could be measured if needed. If I wanted I could use any freshwater fish for bait in saltwater as long as the fish is within NJ procession laws. I don't need a NJ fishing licence nor a NJ Trout stamp to process a legal Trout in NJ.

Now if the Trout being used as crab bait does not stay within the legal lenght would there be a problem? I don't know! Cry I am going to ask. laugh They will be stumped on this one for sure! I know it! laugh
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:19:26 AM by Eddie2009 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home