December 03, 2021, 12:07:48 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: any bites around Bath, NC  (Read 5550 times)
gotuBCs

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:22:37 AM »

hi all crabbers and captains,

I only had 1 time experience (crabbing seashore using strings and attached chicken legs) around Bath,NC last year. Not sure if it is warm enough to start crabbing again. I am eager to go but don't want to waste 6 hours round trip driving without catching a dozen. Please give me some advices, thank you very much.

Cheesy
queue3

I Hate Crabs! I sell Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:23:33 PM »

I haven't been getting any yet. I've got pots from Core point to Mauls point. I think a few are being taken further east closer to the Sound. Horsefly should be able to let you know if there are any around Bath.
Even if you don't get any crabs it shouldn't be a wasted trip, Bath is such a nice little town to visit and the fishing in Bath creek is always good. (sorry HF if I let out any secrets Smiley)
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 09:00:35 PM »

horsefly is from Bath. but I don't think he bites.    laugh laugh

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
queue3

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:21:35 PM »

They're Heeeeere.

gotuBCs

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 10:28:34 PM »

hey Pal, you sell crabs at Bath? Let me know how to contact you just in case I dont catch any there. Grin
do you know what is the rule this year for crabbing in terms of sizes and number that i can keep. Thank you.

queue3

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 08:42:38 PM »

I can only legally sell to a licensed fish dealer. But if you have a boat, head southeast from bath to the south side of the river and I'll give you a dozen or two right from my boat. Let me know..and I'll give you my cell number.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 12:36:07 PM »

I haven't been getting any yet. I've got pots from Core point to Mauls point. I think a few are being taken further east closer to the Sound. Horsefly should be able to let you know if there are any around Bath.
Even if you don't get any crabs it shouldn't be a wasted trip, Bath is such a nice little town to visit and the fishing in Bath creek is always good. (sorry HF if I let out any secrets Smiley)

Sorry in late responce.....but it's NO secret.....everyone in their brother has pots now from one end of the river to the other.   On a good note, most (say 80%) have been males.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
gotuBCs

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 02:12:43 PM »

thanks for all the replies, i made a trip to Bath the past Sat. caught nothing. the water level along the shore is so so low, about 1- 1.5 feet. I guess not the season yet. or maybe I picked up wrong date. It was full moon. I dont know why the tides are so low. Isn't that it should be high when full moon? Any corrections?
And Yes, you are right.  Bath is so beautiful. I love that place, i am thinking to visit there again sometime this summer.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 02:18:20 PM »

When the sun, moon, and Earth are in alignment (at the time of the new or full moon), the solar tide has an additive effect on the lunar tide, creating extra-high high tides, and very low, low tidesóboth commonly called spring tides.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
gotuBCs

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 02:48:35 PM »

so I guess the past Sat. 5.9 was the Spring tides. I had bad luck I guess.

queue3

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 06:09:17 PM »

The tides here are all wind driven. The lunar tides of the ocean have no noticeable effect. For the last two weeks we've had strong predominately SW winds, blowing out the water, creating really low water levels. The wind since yesterday is from the NE and the water levels are back to normal.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 06:53:37 PM »

Not sure exactly where in Bath creek you were etc. I can tell you this....since  both my kids crab for a living. The male crabs have been on the hunt the past week or so because of the peeler run...when doing so, they dont think about food if ya understand Wink Wink. Also seems like most crabs are being steadly caught in the 4-7 depth. Personally if you're using a commercial type pot to catch them in, shrimp heads would work the best for bait. You can use shrimp heads and put into a nylon stocking like a little bag for using the 4-door traps. By boat is the better way to catch them atm.....wait to mid June before trying for them along the shore mid Bath creek.  Come on down next weekend, try some crabbing supposed to warmer....AND drive the extra hour to Englehard for the annual Englehard Seafood Festival on Saturday. Here's the info http://www.engelhardseafoodfestival.com/

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home