April 15, 2021, 06:53:53 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South Texas Crabbin  (Read 6631 times)
altaber

« on: February 14, 2003, 01:16:58 AM »

Went crabbin today for the second time.  Had planned to fish from the boat in shallow lagoon near Brownsville but had to leave the boat with dealer for minor repairs.  Fished off the boat ramp dock using round nets with fish head baits and hand lines with chicken parts.  Both today and the first time out we were there during the incoming high tide and high tide period, from noon to 5:00 p.m.  Looking for information on the best water conditions and time of day to fish.  We were using five nets and two hand lines today and got 13.  The first time there we got four while two guys in a boat had around 30.  A man told us that three days earler he and his son got 40 to 50 in 90 minutes.  We have to drive 60 miles to fish and would like help in being more selective about when to go and where to catch larger crabs consistantly.
Really glad to find this forum.  Found it on second page of Google search.  
Look forward to your suggestions.

Al
NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2003, 03:41:32 PM »

Alot of suggestions already posted regarding your topic. Check um out and good luck  

(I'm so jealous of you at this time of year - I was in Houston last week and got some fresh steamed ones. Alas, I couldn't bring any home with me. Sniff).
altaber

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2003, 05:24:17 PM »

Hi Grasshopper:  I have read all of the information offered on the Home Page of this Forum and did not get all the info I wanted.  Since all of the old posts were deleated with the new system I guess what I wanted to read is nolonger available.  

Al
NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2003, 04:55:02 PM »

ALTABER - Yes you can access the old site's post now ---- (Thanks STEVE). Also, check out the "Crabbing" section on this discussion area. Here is a post from that area -

(Copied from another post):

LOCATION - Any place on a main river where a side tributary comes in. Be on the bank or in a boat 'down river' from the tributary.

TIME: During a 'falling tide'. This flushes the side creek out and food for the crabs comes out into the main channel. This is where the the crabs will congregate to feed.

I 'chicken neck' there as well as place my traps there. Great results MOST of the time. There are always those days however, when the cold beer is the best catch of the day! Oh well......may be next time.
Crabbyboy

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 05:08:23 PM »

I heard you guys have been gettin some snow down there in texas!!

NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2003, 09:20:19 AM »

I talked to a business partner in Dallas yesterday ---------------------- "3" of ICE crystals!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home