May 19, 2022, 08:58:32 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: intracoastal waterway near little river sc  (Read 16261 times)
peerydog

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2009, 02:10:48 PM »

hey all. i am new to this forum and love it.     i just moved near little river sc and was looking for a good place to crab and was wondering if i the intracoastal was a good bet or if i should go to the bay by cherry grove? any help would be appreciated.      i do have another question, can i use any of the small square traps or rings in sc? or do i just have to use the big pots,?   i read the book but was still a bit confused on this.      thanks
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:37:40 AM by peerydog » Logged
clawdad

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:18:53 PM »

Welcome perrydog, Im relatively new also, originally from Md also. Atlantic avenue bridge in garden city is an excellent spot for crabbers without a boat. I lived in little river when i first moved here and had neighbors that would fish the marsh side of cherry grove but i never tried it myself, i always made the trip to atlantic avenue as the bridge is nice and easy to crab from. I boat captain out of murrells inlet at a bar one night did tell me that the waterway is full of crabs although i have never been there and most people here tend to disagree. Although I want to believe because I know being from Md that large males would often move quite a bit up river in the brackish water further than most would expect. Stay in contact on here and maybe we can share some tips as we are relatively close in geography.
peerydog

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:32:26 AM »

hi, thanks for the input.  what part of md did you crab? i always hit cox creek behind the narrows.  i havent gone out yet but am thinkin of going this evening with my kids for a few hours before dark in the waterway.    just seems like some of those jimmies would be headin in there to me. 1 guy i talked to said he  buys crabs and takes them into the waterway for redfish bait so i guess they are naturally in there as well or the reds wouldnt eatem  so quick, but i dont know much about redfish anyway. thanks again
clawdad

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 05:07:47 PM »

The potomac river and the patuxent. Im from southern Md (waldorf). I be real interested in hearing if you have any luck on the waterway, it would make total sense to me for them to be there. I havent went yet this season, but i will post when i start catchin a few.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 05:26:14 PM »

Welcome to the BCA guys...

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 07:52:25 PM »

WELCOME guys . have a fun, and safe year . HAPPY CRABBING.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.
CRABBINDAVE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 08:33:43 AM »

Welcome to the forum.I have caught some crab in big numbers in the intercoastal last year.Pretty much anywhere from the swing bridge boat ramp in little river on up to the inlet.Good luck and be sure to post some reports thumbsup

Love being a chicken necker!!!! Proudly support the BCA! [SAM HILL] of a good site!!
peerydog

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 11:34:43 AM »

hey guys and thanks for all the info and welcomes, they are all most appreciated.... i havent made it out yet but, when i do make it out i will tell you if i found any or got skunked.
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 12:26:44 PM »

good luck.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.
peerydog

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 07:31:49 AM »

hey guys. took my 5 year old out yesterday morning,  cold (46) when we started but we caught 2 dozen in about 2 and a half hours. we just used 1 ring trap over the side while we were fishing. we only had 6 keeper males, the rest were females with eggs or small males. the females were really big, good to know that they are breeding
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 02:56:00 PM by peerydog » Logged

CRABBINDAVE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 05:54:41 AM »

Congrats thumbsup

Love being a chicken necker!!!! Proudly support the BCA! [SAM HILL] of a good site!!
bigE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 07:11:27 AM »

Lots of crabs in the ICW. Dont know who told you otherwise but one look at the 5 million crab pot buoys in the waterway being used as slalom toys for jet skiers would suggest that there are plenty of crabs in there. I crab mostly in the waterway and average about 100 lbs a day on 40 pots. Waterway is actually hitting harder than the creeks right now.

Experience is something you get right after you need it most.
Kiss_My_Tiara

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 11:36:03 PM »

Lots of crabs in the ICW. Dont know who told you otherwise but one look at the 5 million crab pot buoys in the waterway being used as slalom toys for jet skiers would suggest that there are plenty of crabs in there. I crab mostly in the waterway and average about 100 lbs a day on 40 pots. Waterway is actually hitting harder than the creeks right now.

Do you know of any locations where I wouldn't need a boat?
Thanks in advance. Smiley
saltysenior

ex-wye rat---who now C B C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 08:31:35 AM »

go ask Booty ...tell him i sent you..
deaconjohn

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »

How about the intracoastal in boynton beach fl or delray beach. THANKS!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home