December 01, 2021, 04:23:13 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know a good source for crab pot wire?  (Read 19571 times)
bigE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 03:30:13 PM »

No no...just call Belhaven Crab and Ell pot
Belhaven Crab & Eel Pot Supplies
2290 Nc Highway 99 South, Belhaven, NC 27810 zip code

(252) 964-4900

Or Mayo's
 Mayo's Commercial Fishing SUPL
854 Puddin Hill Road, Scranton, NC 27875 zip code

(252) 926-8601
(252) 926-1604 (fax)
 Both of them deliver stuff to that area to crabbers and another crab  pot supply place down there...I think in Winnabow. Also there is a crabpot place on HWY 70 east about 3-5 miles south of Newbern. I cant remember the name,however.
Went to Bellhaven yesterday and bought 20 precut pots and will try my hand at assembling before going full blown building. Thanks for the tip on where to find the wire, I appreciate it. Bath seems to be the center of the crabbing world from what I saw. There were several yards with what seemed like thousands of crab pots stacked up and when I crossed the river I could count over a hundred buoys right in the one creek. You guys must have a slew of crabs up there. I am envious  Shocked

Experience is something you get right after you need it most.
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 04:18:12 PM »

How much did they charge for the pre-cut wire? And did you get square wire or Hex?
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 06:15:04 PM »

Went to Bellhaven yesterday and bought 20 precut pots and will try my hand at assembling before going full blown building. Thanks for the tip on where to find the wire, I appreciate it. Bath seems to be the center of the crabbing world from what I saw. There were several yards with what seemed like thousands of crab pots stacked up and when I crossed the river I could count over a hundred buoys right in the one creek. You guys must have a slew of crabs up there. I am envious  Shocked
You're a funny guy....slew of crabs har har Roll Eyes Sad Actually this last NE wind we just had for 4 days made things switch around, both my kids crabbed 450 pots each today, both only had 2 1/2 boxes. They were gonna go tomorrow, but since they dropped off, they're waiting to Mon.  Always seems to happen during a holiday weekend though. Glad ya found some wire for your pots. Curiosity though, why not just fork out the little extra cash and buy them already put together?

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
bigE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 09:59:12 AM »

You're a funny guy....slew of crabs har har Roll Eyes Sad Actually this last NE wind we just had for 4 days made things switch around, both my kids crabbed 450 pots each today, both only had 2 1/2 boxes. They were gonna go tomorrow, but since they dropped off, they're waiting to Mon.  Always seems to happen during a holiday weekend though. Glad ya found some wire for your pots. Curiosity though, why not just fork out the little extra cash and buy them already put together?
Want to learn. Had I known how much he builds them for I may have just bought them assembled already but I need to learn how to make them so that I may make an army of pots the like of which you speak with your kids. I hate the numbers are down that much for you guys. I had a bad couple days after the blow also but they have picked up since. We pulled two boxes yesterday from 50 pots. All females for the most part but keepers none the less.

I honestly have never seen crab pots so close to one another as I did in Bath the other day. They were literally 5 or 6 feet apart. I can see how a lot of those pots might come up empty. I have been running mine about 50 yards apart. Should I be setting them closer? Seems to be working for me the way it is though.

bigE

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 10:05:55 AM »

How much did they charge for the pre-cut wire? And did you get square wire or Hex?
All components for a pot were $15 and I got the hex wire. These were the tall (21") pots. I was paying 22.50 per pot from j & d but he said his were only 18.50 built. I could have sprung the extra money for a built pot but I want to learn how myself. Just a crazy idea I have......

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 06:34:46 PM »

Want to learn. Had I known how much he builds them for I may have just bought them assembled already but I need to learn how to make them so that I may make an army of pots the like of which you speak with your kids. I hate the numbers are down that much for you guys. I had a bad couple days after the blow also but they have picked up since. We pulled two boxes yesterday from 50 pots. All females for the most part but keepers none the less.

I honestly have never seen crab pots so close to one another as I did in Bath the other day. They were literally 5 or 6 feet apart. I can see how a lot of those pots might come up empty. I have been running mine about 50 yards apart. Should I be setting them closer? Seems to be working for me the way it is though.
I think the place that you go over and see  all those pots is near CEE BEE Marina, about 3 miles from the crab pot place. If this is the spot, that is Pungo Creek .....leads to Pungo River, which is Belhaven area. Bath doesn't really have any water ways with visible pots, since no pot line is way away from visible roads. 90% of the pots you probably did see over the Pungo, belong to my wife's aunt, who likes to horde the waterway with her pots.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
bigE

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 08:17:33 AM »

I think the place that you go over and see  all those pots is near CEE BEE Marina, about 3 miles from the crab pot place. If this is the spot, that is Pungo Creek .....leads to Pungo River, which is Belhaven area. Bath doesn't really have any water ways with visible pots, since no pot line is way away from visible roads. 90% of the pots you probably did see over the Pungo, belong to my wife's aunt, who likes to horde the waterway with her pots.
It was close to the pot place. I would say that horde is a good term for what I saw. Does she do well with that many or does she just want to make sure no one else gets in that area?

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 06:38:37 PM »

It was close to the pot place. I would say that horde is a good term for what I saw. Does she do well with that many or does she just want to make sure no one else gets in that area?
She puts that many pots there for 2 no no make it 3 reasons. 1) when the water gets warmer the crabs will move in or out of the creek depending on salinity and oxygen levels, so she wants to be first to catch them. 2) She also is making a chain link of sorts to prevent crabs from going any where except in her pots and prevent other people from sitting on top of her. 3) she doesn't want the rest of the family members sitting on top of her either ...so yes she's a hoarder, and no not many crabs there at the moment, with a sw wind they are on the other side of creek. Personally, I liked having my pots spaced apart, you are only going to catch what is there in the first place, too many pots with fresh bait just mean they have choices in which pots to go to, not really increasing the crab numbers.
There used to be a time when it was only my wife/myself...her Dad, Mom (separate boats) and the oldest of her brothers..her aunt and uncle along with about 8 other crabbers sharing that water years ago back in the 80's. Only used to crab....200-250 pots for about 8-12 boxes a day of the darkest meanest crabs around. Then sometime after the moratorium on licenses changed, the crabber numbers increased....crabs held their own until Hurricanes Bertha and Fran. Crabs changed, smaller and lighter in greenish color, numbers still good andcrabbers increased more....in amount of pots from say 350 to 600 to 1200. So in short I guess my wife's aunt is just protective of what she claims as her being there first motto.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 06:40:11 PM by horsefly » Logged

bigE

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2009, 03:52:53 PM »

She puts that many pots there for 2 no no make it 3 reasons. 1) when the water gets warmer the crabs will move in or out of the creek depending on salinity and oxygen levels, so she wants to be first to catch them. 2) She also is making a chain link of sorts to prevent crabs from going any where except in her pots and prevent other people from sitting on top of her. 3) she doesn't want the rest of the family members sitting on top of her either ...so yes she's a hoarder, and no not many crabs there at the moment, with a sw wind they are on the other side of creek. Personally, I liked having my pots spaced apart, you are only going to catch what is there in the first place, too many pots with fresh bait just mean they have choices in which pots to go to, not really increasing the crab numbers.
There used to be a time when it was only my wife/myself...her Dad, Mom (separate boats) and the oldest of her brothers..her aunt and uncle along with about 8 other crabbers sharing that water years ago back in the 80's. Only used to crab....200-250 pots for about 8-12 boxes a day of the darkest meanest crabs around. Then sometime after the moratorium on licenses changed, the crabber numbers increased....crabs held their own until Hurricanes Bertha and Fran. Crabs changed, smaller and lighter in greenish color, numbers still good andcrabbers increased more....in amount of pots from say 350 to 600 to 1200. So in short I guess my wife's aunt is just protective of what she claims as her being there first motto.
Nuff said. I get it. Being a new comer I try my best to stay off the toes of the established guys around here (my area I mean) but I have been blessed so far as the two other guys in my area are pretty cool people. I talk with them about every day and there seems to be no anymosity. They have given me tips based on what they saw me with at the ramp and all of it has helped. I guess my point being, I understand what your getting at and hope I am not viewed as such but theres only so much I can do about that. Some folks just dont like new comers especially when their livlihoods depend on it.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home