November 13, 2018, 01:38:23 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting hours on crab boats  (Read 8357 times)
125blackfire

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2009, 04:36:35 PM »

When your getting your hours for a commercial crabbing license does the person you work for pay you like a job or is it like a non paid intern? Also ware can you find or applie a job to work on a crab boat? Huh

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Temple
dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 05:01:54 PM »

Are you sure you're old enough??
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »

Are you sure you're old enough??

I'm not sure. I know someone with a LCC license that is 17 and he got it at 16. On the other hand working on a wharf and boat is considered a dangerous job and you have to be 18 to get a job.

Lead Petty Officer, of the number one United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps Division In the country Annapolis Division.

crabnrich

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 05:31:12 PM »

I'm not sure. I know someone with a LCC license that is 17 and he got it at 16. On the other hand working on a wharf and boat is considered a dangerous job and you have to be 18 to get a job.

if you have to be 18 to work on a boat then what good is a LLC license to a 16 or 17 year old?
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 05:49:16 PM »

if you have to be 18 to work on a boat then what good is a LLC license to a 16 or 17 year old?

I'm not sure it could be cargo ships at wharfs or something. He does crabs commercially. I'm not sure what they mean by *boat* could mean the loading and unloading of cargo ships.

Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:05:06 PM »

Depends on who you get linked up with.  Pay could be 0 or a reasonable amount per day.  I don't think being 18 is a requirement.  Its like a farm job...

Git 'r dun!
fdm132

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 07:41:54 PM »

why do you need hours for a crab license?

2B1ask1
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 07:47:11 PM »

why do you need hours for a crab license?

You need to work on at least 3 different boats with a minimum of 2000 hours of experience. The reason for this is to keep the commercial crabbing licenses with the commercial crabbing community and not letting rich people buying up all the commercial crabbing licenses (there is only a certain amount out there and only a small amount that get released each year) because they could be out to stop crabbing because they may be part of PETA or something..

fdm132

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 07:58:26 PM »

ok thank u.

2B1ask1
fdm132

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 08:00:46 PM »

we need something like that here in MS Smiley

2B1ask1

Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 08:35:17 PM »

You need to work on at least 3 different boats with a minimum of 2000 hours of experience. The reason for this is to keep the commercial crabbing licenses with the commercial crabbing community and not letting rich people buying up all the commercial crabbing licenses (there is only a certain amount out there and only a small amount that get released each year) because they could be out to stop crabbing because they may be part of PETA or something..

BOY...  If you are willing to bait lines, etc and get in the apprenticeship program, shoot me an email.  It doesn't have to be water time to accumulate your hours, and I might be able to accommodate. P.S. pay is $0.00, but I can get you hours.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 08:42:19 PM »

You have to be 14 to get a license.  I believe I was 15 when I got my first one.

Before you go wanting to get an LCC, get a few years under your belt.  You definatly don't need an LCC with a kayak.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 08:44:55 PM »

You have to be 14 to get a license.  I believe I was 15 when I got my first one.

Before you go wanting to get an LCC, get a few years under your belt.  You definatly don't need an LCC with a kayak.

I'm going to wait until I get my drivers license be for I start trying to get my LCC. Mainly because I wont have a way to get to the dock without driving myself. I'm going to trotline and pull traps on my Jon boat.

Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 08:48:06 PM »

I'm going to wait until I get my drivers license be for I start trying to get my LCC. Mainly because I wont have a way to get to the dock without driving myself. I'm going to trotline and pull traps on my Jon boat.

BOY... Thus you skirt the question.  I have a LAX game at Bucs park in front of your house this week, stop by and we can discuss you getting some time under your belt and away from the computer, if you are serious about crabbing. 
125blackfire

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 09:00:03 PM »

BOY... Thus you skirt the question.  I have a LAX game at Bucs park in front of your house this week, stop by and we can discuss you getting some time under your belt and away from the computer, if you are serious about crabbing. 

Ill be there just give me a day and time. Wink

Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 09:00:37 PM »

Ill be there just give me a day and time. Wink

I will shoot you a bmail with details.

Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 09:01:40 PM »

I'll do it for less Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin Grin

Git 'r dun!
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 10:40:02 PM »

When your getting your hours for a commercial crabbing license does the person you work for pay you like a job or is it like a non paid intern? Also ware can you find or applie a job to work on a crab boat? Huh
I am still trying to figure out how the same person wrote both of these posts?  Shocked

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 03:03:21 AM »

Blackfire, when you get yer driver's license, and a car, or if you secure a means of dependable transportation, give me a call.  Next summer, I can probably try you on the boat.  We can work out the details then.

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 03:29:21 AM »

I am still trying to figure out how the same person wrote both of these posts?  Shocked
Split personality!....     Grin Grin Grin

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home