October 20, 2021, 08:07:48 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New moon tides....  (Read 3195 times)
bigE

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2009, 01:12:51 PM »

I have had a heck of a time this week with the tides being so crazy high. I had pots that haven;t moved an inch in a month travel close to half a mile in one night this week. I am using 5/8 irons and like I said, haven't had any problems with this. Is there anything you guys do to prepare for these abnormally hight tides? Thanks for any input.

Experience is something you get right after you need it most.
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 07:45:38 PM »

I think you might just need longer ropes to compensate for the higher tides. One or two things move your pots, short line with full size bouy can float your pot enough to skip it along bottom, or if you dont have zincs on your pots, you may want to add them not only for wire protection but for the added weight. If that is not enough or already have them on, you may want to increase the iron size or get "H" irons.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:35:33 PM »

I just move the ones that will move on spring tides,most of the time I just have to step them over a little.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 12:09:39 AM »

thumbsup

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
bigE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 10:11:13 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I plan to move them all to the creek when the big tides come. I have a lot to learn yet and payed the price with about 8 pots last week.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 10:33:56 AM »

Keep looking for them, if they are just missing.  Sometimes they roll over on the line and pull the bouy under.  Then resurface at sometime.  I have found pots that were missing for over a month after another storm or spring tide.  I use 1/2 inch irons but adding the zincs like Horsefly said helped allot.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
bigE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 04:46:22 PM »

I seem to find them later also. All this week I have found one here or there but some of the ones missing were within a half mile of the inlet and I fear they may have taken the long ride. Lots of boat traffic from the mem. weekend combined with the new moon tide got me in this particlar spot. Lot of paint on the buoys of the ones turning up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home