May 24, 2018, 06:20:12 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orange beach / perdido Key crabs  (Read 125 times)
Meters35

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2018, 07:48:39 PM »

Hello ,
Newbie here from Nola . We are heading for vacation in Orange beach , perdido Key next weekend for Memorial Day week . Every year we bring a trap , try to find some waters ways and drop trap . We have been very unsuccessful . We take our kids for a day of fun . Question:

1. Were is best sport to blue crab in perdido Key / Orange beach ?
2. We plan to get a license , can we buy at some store in town?
3. Also plan to not use a trap but fish with a crab line. Are there places in town that sell these lines or is it as simple as getting a line / tying bait etc ?
4. What is best bait ?
5. Best time to fish?

Thanks in advanced !
Josh
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 08:02:58 PM »

Just tie a sinker on the end of a few strings. A couple inches above the sinker, make a loop, and slide a chicken neck through. Pull the loop tight and drop  the lines in the water. Tie the ends of the ropes to a pier or a stick. Pull up very slowly. You should be able to "feel" when a crab is on there. The only thing about this type of crabbing is, you will need a net to dip the crabs below the surface. If you pull them out of the water they will most likely drop off. You should be able to pick up a package of chicken necks pretty cheap at one of the local markets or butchers in that area. Good luck.

Video link below.

https://search.aol.com/aol/video;_ylt=AwrE1xfHDAJbMfkALgZpCWVH;_ylu=X3oDMTE0dnAyOGZlBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjU4MzNfMQRzZWMDcGl2cw--?q=handlining+crabs&s_it=searchtabs&v_t=loki-keyword#action=view&id=6&vid=4a763ca0214410d9867fb86a179899ee
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 07:49:10 AM »

Make sure the sinker is heavy enough to hold the bottom. Also make sure the line is long enough to reach the bottom. I use mason line. You can buy like 500 ft for like $5 at Lowes or home depot and 1oz or 2oz sinkers at your local bait stores. Make sure the net you get is also long enough to reach a foot or 2 below the water. I have seen it many times where people bring nets that are way to short. A lot of time I bring 2 nets and let the other people borrow my other net. Good luck.

1. No idea but in the back bays if you have a boat.
2. Some states you can do it online. If not call up a bait store close to where you are staying and ask them if the sell them.
3. Much cheaper to make yourself and easy to make
4. Fish and chicken necks work good. Fresh not rotten.
5. Check local regulations but early morning is best. (For me) Right before the sun comes up until about 10am. Evening is ok as well and the night time crabbing can be ok if there are not to many mosquitos. In MD you can crab with handlines at night but not traps.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:00:57 AM by indoe » Logged

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Cappykenn

If it's gonna happen, it'll happen out there.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 08:52:32 PM »

Welcome to the forum (and the gulf coast)
KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 04:26:38 PM »

nets that are way to short.
Once while pier crabbing, I saw a guy that had a net attached to a painter's pole.

Crabbing: A game of pinches.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home