September 18, 2019, 09:28:52 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the better tide to crab on?  (Read 9461 times)
megabyte

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2009, 08:09:42 PM »

Does it make a difference on the tide?  I am goibg to try this week maybe weather permitting in Brick in the bay.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 08:31:10 PM »

I have found as long as the tide is moving we catch crabs , good luck .  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
antman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »

Does it make a difference on the tide?  I am goibg to try this week maybe weather permitting in Brick in the bay.

A moving tide is a good place to "start"......but, you'll have to "LEARN" the water you work........You'll have to figure out what tide, or what part of the tide works best for YOUR water.....and what tides work for you, depending on what time of the year it is.... Wink

Tony
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:25:44 PM by antman » Logged
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

RonMeischker https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=220842455&trk=nav_respon RMeischker
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 02:20:30 PM »

I personnally prefer the incoming tide, but that's just a preference as opposed to being based on anything factual.

Blue Crab Advisor to the NJ Marine Fisheries Council

11th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek Crabbing Tournament & BBQ
America's Largest Crabbing Tournament
June 26 & 27th, 2020
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com

To Register:
http://assaultonpatcongcreek.com/the-crabbing-tournament/tournament-registration/

Check out the tournament's page on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/assaultonpatcongcreek
antman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 05:55:46 PM »

I personnally prefer the incoming tide, but that's just a preference as opposed to being based on anything factual.

I too prefer an incoming tide when I'm at the head of the rivers in the summer...I fished both today....the last few hours of high tide and the first few hours of low tide.  I wasn't at the head of a river and the outgoing tide was much better....ended with 2-1/2 Wink

Tony

hobo115

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 04:22:54 PM »

I prefer that when I get out just starting early in the morning, the tide is completely low tide. When the water is a good 4' lower than high tide, you can see how the land is much better. I like to park my boat where I see that the sides of the channel slop off gradually, so that way, when the tide comes in, I have my boat overtop of where the water gets shallower on one side of the boat, and deeper to the other side...Also, at a low tide, you can see channels that connect to the main channel (say in dividing creek) that still have water in them when the tide is low. If I see a channel that has no water in it at low tide, then I know not to crab in that particular channel, because there probably wont be very many crab in there.
Crab are probably in deeper parts of the channels right now because of all the rainfall lately and considering the bay probably hasnt warmed up to its usual summer heat yet, so I would crab during the tide coming in, and in about 6-12 feet of water. Thats probably your best shot.
firelt5

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:10:15 PM »

According to tidal charts theres only a 6 inch difference between high & Low Tide in the Barnegat Bay Smiley>

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home