December 01, 2020, 03:15:42 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8.5"blue crab in Florida June 09  (Read 31544 times)
Potty Mouth
Lifetime Member

Location: Still, somewhere 'tween the steampot and the cooler

Whatever... SSDD

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2009, 06:32:12 PM »

Based on my glasses, that makes him less than 10 inches... Undecided
Yeah, and the article says under ten but I hear 11 from this guy... how far is Gloucster from you?  More than 10 would be a real find...  Undecided

"Not all that can be counted, counts. And not all that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2009, 06:32:15 PM »

So, it is what it is until someone gets a mumbo measurer on this thing... somebody give Jerry and Jack the gas money, I need to know  laugh laugh laugh
I'm thinking road trip...  laugh After crabbing season...  Wink Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
jefftoleft
In Memoriam 02/2017
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2009, 06:37:28 PM »

From looking at a map it should be pretty close to where Steve is maybe he could check it out

You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM
Potty Mouth
Lifetime Member

Whatever... SSDD

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2009, 07:05:46 PM »

Based on my glasses, that makes him less than 10 inches... Undecided

That's it, NO FAIR using your glasses Jack..  Therein you have the problem  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

"Not all that can be counted, counts. And not all that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2009, 07:41:18 PM »

laugh laugh laugh I remeber them...  laugh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

tattoo

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2009, 07:43:53 PM »

Thanks for posting that . like to catch a bushel of those bad boys.  Wink laugh laugh laugh

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »

Smiley
Has to weigh more than a lb at 11 inches,I shed a softshell a few years back that weighed 1 1/2 lbs.,batter fried it covered a dinner platter.

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
chesapeak

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2009, 10:37:48 PM »

RD   Thats my kind of eatin!!!!

I love the late summer and fall. We are over the hump now. Things start to slow down. The vacationers start to leave and traffic starts getting back to normal. The ducks are going to be coming in and the crabs are the biggest and heaviest of the year.
Potty Mouth
Lifetime Member

Whatever... SSDD

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2009, 03:53:03 PM »

Well, the VIMS folk say they won't take it out of the case for a mumbo measurer to visit and they say any/all can come visit.  So... I'm gettin a school bus, paintin her up and...  laugh laugh laugh just kidding,... so, I can't get the ruler shot but they offered a little more.  Tere's a couple more photos I got to resize and here is some info on the record Virginia crab.... only one ever caught in Virginia they say  Wink  They say it is 10.72 inches across the carapace...  check it out...  I'll post the pics later...

Does giant blue crab set a new record?
(Aug 14, 2003) When waterman Clarence "Juice" McKinney pulled his crab pot from the frigid waters of the Potomac River in November 1998, he got a big surprise--staring back at him was a male blue crab that stretched almost a foot between the tips of its lateral spines.

Jacques van Montfrans and Dr. Willard van Engel, crab experts at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science, say it's the largest blue crab they've ever seen or heard about, and may set a Chesapeake Bay and Virginia record. McKinney caught the crab on the Virginia side of the Potomac. It weighed 1.1 pounds and had a 10.72-inch-wide shell.

The big "jimmy" dwarfs most Chesapeake Bay blue crabs. The minimum legal width for a male blue crab is 5 inches. "The average width is around 5 1/2 inches," says van Montfrans. The first juvenile stage of the blue crab measures about 1/10 of an inch across the spines. Juveniles typically molt about 20 times before reaching maturity.

Despite its impressive width, the crab posed little threat to the McKinney's fingers. That's because it had tiny claws that had just started to re-grow after the crab somehow lost its original pair, "probably in a fight with another male blue crab when it was smaller," says van Montfrans. Crabs possess the useful ability to regenerate lost limbs.

In addition to its disproportionately small claws, the crab had also just molted, so its external skeleton was relatively soft. These two factors made mounting the crab a serious challenge for Eastern Shore taxidermist Arty Meredith, and help explain the lengthy hiatus between its capture and its upcoming appearance in VIMS' Watermen's Hall Visitor Center and Aquarium.

To restore the crab to its living splendor, Meredith had to fashion a new set of epoxy-resin claws by taking a mold from another (slightly smaller) male crab. He also airbrushed the claws and shell to their original iridescent shades of blue, red, and beige, and inserted thin wires internally to hold the fragile shell together.

Even with its smaller prosthetic limbs, the mounted crab still measures 22 inches between claw tips, slightly longer than the clawspan reported for the previous "record" blue crab, which was caught by long-time crabber Edwin Horton in the 1980s near where Pagan Creek enters the James River.

Horton, who started crabbing in 1951, said his 21-incher was " the biggest old crab" he ever saw. Unfortunately, it was irreparably damaged during mounting, so there can be no claw-to-claw comparison for bragging rights between the two monsters.

The colossal crab will go on display in the VIMS Visitor Center on August 15th. For information on visiting, visit the VIMS website at www.vims.edu or call 804-684-7846.

Potty Mouth
Lifetime Member

Whatever... SSDD

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2009, 04:11:08 PM »

adds some perspective seeing a person with it... looks bigger now than before with the sunglasses

Potty Mouth
Lifetime Member

Whatever... SSDD

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2009, 04:16:12 PM »

another of the VIMS crab - apparent current VA State record

lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2009, 04:27:09 PM »

Pretty impressive, to say the least.

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2009, 06:13:20 PM »

adds some perspective seeing a person with it... looks bigger now than before with the sunglasses
and they can't hold a tape measure over it..... hummmm  Roll Eyes

tattoo

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »

that is one huge crab.  Wink

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
jefftoleft
In Memoriam 02/2017
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2009, 07:52:19 PM »

That is one [Sam Hill] of a big crab thanks for doing all the research Potty thats something to see for sure Wink Wink

Potty Mouth
Lifetime Member

Whatever... SSDD

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2009, 08:33:52 PM »

and they can't hold a tape measure over it..... hummmm  Roll Eyes

Jack, as you see the pics are dated 2003, so, according to my buddy the marine biologist, the crab's in some sort of glass case and he doesn't feel like bothering them to take it out or they may have objected to do so.  But, makes the road trip idea a good one.  I don't think there's any way it's under 10" given all the documentation and the fact that this is a marine research institute.  That "should" make it the one you wanted to see up close and personal...  Undecided tryin' to help fulfill a dream  Wink

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2009, 09:53:47 PM »

Alright then everybody,now we know where to go if we want to catch real mumbos, VA

- John Wayne
jefftoleft
In Memoriam 02/2017
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2009, 01:57:39 AM »

Alright then everybody,now we know where to go if we want to catch real mumbos, VA
This is where Jack jumps in and says  stop THERE ARE NO CRABS IN VA  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2009, 05:01:06 AM »

This is where Jack jumps in and says  stop THERE ARE NO SMALL CRABS IN VA  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
Shocked Grin

- John Wayne
Chef Lar
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2009, 07:34:19 AM »

No no, there are crabs in Va. There's no crabs on the E-S-VA. laugh laugh

"Don't be a dumbass." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: