April 10, 2021, 08:33:48 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crabbing in chincoteague  (Read 16913 times)
detremod119

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:58:33 PM »

Going down on Thurs for the weekend I'm i correct in thinking I can have a three hundred ft trotline and two collapsible traps per person. And also do my MD licenses cover me in VA .I have tried to read other posts and figure it out  but I'm a few credits short on my aeronautical engineer degree so this redneck is confused. Thanks for you help 

If you think you can ,or you think you cant either way your right
Crabby Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 04:03:07 AM »

You will find everything you need here.

www.mrc.virginia.gov/index.shtm

Good Luck

If at first you don't succeed, Trot Trot again !
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 09:51:31 AM »

You need a rec trotline license to use a trotline in VA.  The Rec limited length is 300 feet.  You can use 2 commercial crab pots per person and as many collapsible traps/handlines as you want 24/7.  Trouble is there are not many places to crab from shore in and around Chincoteague.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »

Strong tides too... tough for the trotline.

Git 'r dun!
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 02:43:46 PM »

Listen to jack and weed.... besides buys some crabs and don't forget to go to Mr Whippy's for ice Cream..... Wink

MD / PA Line

detremod119

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 06:53:14 PM »

As many traps from the boat as well.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 06:59:39 PM »

As many traps from the boat as well.
If that's a question the answer is yes.  VA considers traps as handlines.  http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php/topic,27845.0.html

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 07:02:55 PM »

PS: If you have a boat forget about crabbing and spend your time fishing for flounder in Queens Sound.  99% of the crabs will be Sooks.

detremod119

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 01:30:56 AM »

Thanks jack for your help we are going on a family trip and will have a bunch of small kids
just wanted to throw out some traps let them have some fun.Some of the crew will flounder fish but don't they have to be about 48 inches to keep now Smiley

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 08:03:09 AM »

Thanks jack for your help we are going on a family trip and will have a bunch of small kids
just wanted to throw out some traps let them have some fun.Some of the crew will flounder fish but don't they have to be about 48 inches to keep now Smiley
laugh  Seems like it some time...  19 inches and 5 per person.

bluecrab

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 10:54:46 PM »

PS: If you have a boat forget about crabbing and spend your time fishing for flounder in Queens Sound.  99% of the crabs will be Sooks.

Can you keep females in VA?
I couldn't find regs on what you can keep and sizes.
Sorry to bring up a old thread

I WILL get my boat out next year!
Crabby Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 04:31:59 AM »

Size/Catch Restrictions

* Minimum size limits: 5 inches for male hard crabs (jimmies) and immature female hard crabs, 3 inches for peeler crabs caught from March 17 through July 15 and 3 inches from July 16 until November 15 in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries; 3 inches for peeler crabs caught on the seaside of the Eastern Shore; and 3 1/2 inches for softshell crabs measured from tip to tip of the longest spikes. No size limits exist for adult female hard crabs (sooks) [Code 28.2-708, Regulation 4 VAC 20-270-55].

* Dark sponge (brown through black coloration) crabs must be returned to the water alive and not altered or destroyed in any manner during the period of March 17 thru July 15; however, a tolerance of 10 dark sponge crabs per bushel is allowed [4 VAC 20-370-20].

Crabby Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 04:37:30 AM »

Licensing Information
Any person desiring to take or catch finfish or shellfish for recreational purposes in the tidal waters of Virginia must first obtain the appropriate gear license (See Exemptions and Annual License Fees below). Gear licenses can be purchased from any Virginia Marine Resources Commission (VMRC) licensing agent, except that crab pound/trap licenses can only be obtained from the district marine patrol officer. All licenses are valid for a calendar year and expire December 31 in the year issued. License tags for boats using crab pots and/or trotlines must be fastened at a conspicuous place on the starboard side of the boat or on the boat's mast; for crab pounds, the tags must be fastened to one of the offshore stakes [Code 28.2-225, 28.2-226.1, 28.2-234, 28.2-300, Regulation 4 VAC 20-60-20].

Any license to recreationally fish or crab shall be issued to an individual for his/her exclusive use and shall not be transferable. No person shall be issued more than one recreational gill net license, more than one recreational crab pot license, more than one recreational crab pound/trap license, nor more than one recreational eel pot license [Code 28.2-226.1, Regulation 4 VAC 20-670-20].

EXEMPTIONS - The following activities are exempt from the licensing requirements:
1. Taking by dip net, hand line, or two crab pots as much as one bushel of hard crabs and two dozen peeler crabs in any one day for personal use aboard any vessel. If crabbing occurs from shore (crabs are not possessed on a vessel) the possession limit is one bushel and two dozen peeler crabs per person per day.

2. Taking a maximum of one bushel of oysters in any one day for personal use, when taken by hand or with ordinary tongs during the oyster season from open rocks.

3. Taking a maximum of 250 clams in any one day for personal use, when taken by hand or with ordinary tongs from open areas.

4. Using one tank or float no greater than 4 feet in width and 8 feet in length for shedding crabs for personal use.

5. Harvest of oysters or clams from a private lease by the leaseholder, or the person authorized or employed by a leaseholder. (Other no-cost permits may be required.)

6. Taking minnows, menhaden, or mullet for personal use as bait with a cast net; fish may not be sold, traded or bartered.

7. Taking, by hand, a maximum of 5 horseshoe crabs in any one day for personal use only. No harvesting allowed from any shore or tidal waters of Virginia, within 1000 feet in any direction, of the mean low water line, from May 1 through June 7. References: [Code 28.2-226, 4 VAC 20-270-56, 4 VAC 20-670-20, 4 VAC 20-900-30].

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 08:52:01 AM »

Can you keep females in VA?I couldn't find regs on what you can keep and sizes.
Sorry to bring up a old thread
Yes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home